Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

but what I saw of the Okl pass rush, I don't think Cody would have stood a chance in there. Bo and Watson must have thought that also, or we would have maybe seen him some.

I think Cody's grandma would have stood a chance there on some of those sacks Taylor took. Slight exaggeration but I'd be surprised if Cody took sacks with all kinds of time like Taylor did. Then, maybe he throws some picks or fumbles so you never know.

He had time on a few plays and made boneheaded plays by not throwing the ball away. But for the most part the o-line was getting torched all night. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

Correction. The oline was getting torched EXCEPT when we ran the wildcat. Funny how a run blocking oline can succeed with a running game plan.

So if enough heat is on watson does he take the vandy job?

I wanted to see them in the "I" formation with Helu and Burhead behind Martinez. Hit em' quick or mis-direction. The zone read was taking way too long to develop with Martinez at less than 100%.

The zone read was bad play calling. Why didn't we see one I formation. The zone read works with Martinez at a 100% because it gives him the option to throw or run. He couldn't run effectively. So what does Watson do insted of I formation. He replaces martinez with burkhead. Yes it work somewhat. But Rex isn't a QB. couldn't the I formation do the same but better. What happen to straight up smash mouth football. Rex and helu where fired up but they were not used right.

According to Tom Dienhart, two coaches who have interviewed for the Vandy job took their names out of the running. Wisconsin's DC, Dave Doeren and Tulsa's HC, Todd Graham.

I have confirmed that Nebraska OC Shawn Watson interviewed for the Vanderbilt job on Sunday, according to a source close to Watson.

LINK

Vanderbilt has interviewed several more candidates in recent days and could be nearing the cut-down stage in its search for a football coach.

Vice Chancellor of Athletics David Williams said he will select three candidates — maybe four — from the first round of interviews to become finalists. There would then likely be a second round of interviews.

The cut could come as early as today or as late as next week.

"What I'd prefer to do is probably take more than three to the second round, but to get this thing done, three is probably the optimal number," said Williams, who has declined to comment on candidates during the search process.

"I can't imagine it would be more than four. But I've been very pleased with the number of good people we've seen."

Sources confirmed Monday the pool of candidates Vanderbilt has spoken with about the job, either in person or by phone, has grown to include: Tulsa Coach Todd Graham, Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, Maryland offensive coordinator James Franklin, Michigan State offensive coordinator Don Treadwell and Wisconsin defensive coordinator Dave Doeren.

Stanford assistant head coach/offense coordinator Greg Roman interviewed in person Friday. Vanderbilt also has met with Graham and Treadwell.Phone calls with Watson and Franklin are likely to produce in-person interviews in the near future, a source familiar with the search said. Treadwell and Doeren have been reported as finalists for the Indiana coaching vacancy as well, clouding their standing in the process.

Vanderbilt has contacted Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun seeking an interview, but that will be up to Calhoun.

There has also been contact with the agents of Temple Coach Al Golden and Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn during the process, two of the high-profile candidates on Vanderbilt's wish list. No further progression has been made.

Asked if he was targeting offensive-minded coaches given the Commodores' struggles on that side of the ball, Williams said: "I think the question (we've) asked is: 'Who's going to run the offense and who's going to run the defense?'

"If it's an offensive person, we're a little more interested in what's going to be happening with the defense. If it's a defensive person, we're a little more interested in what's going to be happening with the offense. The fact more offensive persons have been identified as targets is just how it's gone."

Reach Jeff Lockridge at 615-259-8023 or jlockridge@tennessean.com.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101207/SPORTS0602/12070321/2215/SPORTS/Vandy+closes+in+on+football+coach+finalists

Grahman and Doeren took their names off as Nexus stated above.

So we are now 2 coaches closer to getting rid of Watson.

Vanderbilt has interviewed several more candidates in recent days and could be nearing the cut-down stage in its search for a football coach.

Vice Chancellor of Athletics David Williams said he will select three candidates — maybe four — from the first round of interviews to become finalists. There would then likely be a second round of interviews.

"What I'd prefer to do is probably take more than three to the second round, but to get this thing done, three is probably the optimal number," said Williams, who has declined to comment on candidates during the search process.

"I can't imagine it would be more than four. But I've been very pleased with the number of good people we've seen."

Sources confirmed Monday the pool of candidates Vanderbilt has spoken with about the job, either in person or by phone, has grown to include: Tulsa Coach Todd Graham, Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, Maryland offensive coordinator James Franklin, Michigan State offensive coordinator Don Treadwell and Wisconsin defensive coordinator Dave Doeren.

Stanford assistant head coach/offense coordinator Greg Roman interviewed in person Friday. Vanderbilt also has met with Graham and Treadwell.Phone calls with Watson and Franklin are likely to produce in-person interviews in the near future, a source familiar with the search said. Treadwell and Doeren have been reported as finalists for the Indiana coaching vacancy as well, clouding their standing in the process.

Vanderbilt has contacted Air Force Coach Troy Calhoun seeking an interview, but that will be up to Calhoun.

There has also been contact with the agents of Temple Coach Al Golden and Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn during the process, two of the high-profile candidates on Vanderbilt's wish list. No further progression has been made.

Asked if he was targeting offensive-minded coaches given the Commodores' struggles on that side of the ball, Williams said: "I think the question (we've) asked is: 'Who's going to run the offense and who's going to run the defense?'

"If it's an offensive person, we're a little more interested in what's going to be happening with the defense. If it's a defensive person, we're a little more interested in what's going to be happening with the offense. The fact more offensive persons have been identified as targets is just how it's gone."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101207/SPORTS0602/12070321/2215/SPORTS/Vandy+closes+in+on+football+coach+finalists

yeah!!!!!!!! :clap

http://www.tennessea...coach+finalists

yeah!!!!!!!! :clap

Problem with that move IMO would be that Shawn would still have a lot to prove as a coordinator. Really ready to make the leap to HC from OC? Got to have more production as OC or you are setting yourself up for getting run out of town. I guess either ways it doesn't matter. But it does seem like going somewhere else as an OC first would be a more likely proposition for Shawn, than being handed the reigns. Besides, Vanderbilt? Why would he want to go there, when he can OC at a school like Alabama. Have some success there first and then coach some school that is not really going to go anywhere anyways.

Problem with that move IMO would be that Shawn would still have a lot to prove as a coordinator. Really ready to make the leap to HC from OC? Got to have more production as OC or you are setting yourself up for getting run out of town. I guess either ways it doesn't matter. But it does seem like going somewhere else as an OC first would be a more likely proposition for Shawn, than being handed the reigns. Besides, Vanderbilt? Why would he want to go there, when he can OC at a school like Alabama. Have some success there first and then coach some school that is not really going to go anywhere anyways.

Given the current situation and the state of NU's Offense, is this what they call an "oxymoron" or "ironic" or just plain coincidental? Either way, I hope he does get hired at Vandy. NU needs an OC who can give us more production as OC than what we currently have

I'm saying unless Watson builds up a longer track record of success as an OC, people are going to always look at his OC career as inconsistent. If things ever go a little south (and come on, it's Vanderbilt), people will look back and say, was he ever a star OC anyway? And be probably less forgiving than we are now. People will see what they want to sometimes, too. I mean, it's not like Callahan was ever a proven offensive mind, was he? He took Gruden's players to the super bowl one year and got blown out, that's it, and he's lucky to have had Gannon...or something to that effect.

When you are hired from coordinator to head coach, the usual implication is that you were a stud coordinator. Ability aside, perception obviously will not bear that out, and you can argue all day about the situations he has had last year and this year, or how terrific the offense was when healthy, but the perception will still be there. Supposedly Malzahn and Nutt collided over Nutt wanting to keep things closed up and conservative and rely on the ground game, and Malzahn wanting to spread the field and be diverse/no-huddle. As much success as he had there at Arkansas, it was good for Malzahn to go to Tulsa and run his own show, show a lot of success there, to get his next shot, where he has again done great as an OC.

Not comparing Watson's abilities to Gus here, Gus is an obvious superstar. Just saying if he had stayed at Arkansas and was never allowed to open things up, people's opinions about him today could be a lot different. If Watson steps up to an HC spot, this is where his legacy as an OC will end for now. I think that would be unfortunate as he definitely should feel like he has more to prove.

so zoogies, I feel like I'm getting a lot of different vibes from you regarding Watson. What is your overall simplified opinion of Watson?

Obviously not the same kind of Pelini-level elite superstar coach on offense, but a capable and flexible one who is loved by the kids, works hard, and frankly should get some love and support from the fans instead of all this vitriol.

I mean, if we could have had Gus Malzahn or Dana H. from OK State, no queeestion. But that's not really in the cards here. There are a lot of people on our staff, and some of them don't even attempt to nearly pull their own weight and are not doing a good job, but Watson is getting all of the focus because there's some pipe dream Husker fans have that changing him out with almost anyone else will change things for the better.

I hope Watson stays here for a while, and is part of the changes we try to implement to fix the problems on O, because goodness knows we could use a guy like him on board. If we upgrade, that's one thing, but that is not looking like it's in the cards really with all the 'promote from within' talk.