Defense at fault

dergibog

I've been bashing Watson, but the Pelini's were not in the zone either. Why didn't we blitz on 3rd and 24??? We gave up 23 and then the DE didn't stay home on the naked bootleg. The more I think about it, there's blame to go around.

Because the defense is not to fault. That one play cannot be blamed for an entire game's worth of offenseive inepticism ( i think i made that one up). 99-100 said if we hole OU to 20-24 points we win this game. hmm

The defense played their butts off....... We got one TD because of the defense, remember that. Dont you dare bash the defense. the reason they gave up some yards was because the offense played like crap and the defense was on the field constantly. They kept us in the game.

did you watch the game?????

• Fire 1

We got one TD because of the defense, remember that.

I think Rex Burkhead should have something to say about that.

the reason they gave up some yards was because the offense played like crap and was on the field constantly.

Yeah, OU's first five drives lasted a minute and a half or so on average. The next drive lasted nothing because we got a pick on the first play.

The next two went for 80, and 71 yards, respectively. So this is incorrect. The offense was alright, we were up 17-0. The reason the defense gave up so many yards? Cassidy bites on a fake, Hagg gets beat, etc, etc. There were a few miscues amidst a sea of great play by the D, but those handful of mistakes were all very costly. Credit to OU on this to.

From then on the offense did play like crap though.

Defense AND offense are to blame.

the reason they gave up some yards was because the offense played like crap and was on the field constantly.

Yeah, OU's first five drives lasted a minute and a half or so on average. The next drive lasted nothing because we got a pick on the first play.

The next two went for 80, and 71 yards, respectively. So this is incorrect. The offense was alright, we were up 17-0. The reason the defense gave up so many yards? Cassidy bites on a fake, Hagg gets beat, etc, etc. There were a few miscues amidst a sea of great play by the D, but those handful of mistakes were all very costly. Credit to OU on this to.

So Osbornes INT did not set up a score??????

Cassidy did bite on the play action, but recovered enough to make a play on the ball.

After Tmart threw the INT into the endzone OU went 80 yards pretty quickly, Ou had the big MO at that point. Ou was 1 for 16 on 3rd down, usually when that happens your gonna win the game.

Defense did what they had to do to win the game..... Up 17-0 we gotta close the game out we didnt, OU got confident and adjusted something NU hasnt done very well.

Sometimes I think you must be Watson's brother or something the way you try to deflect all the critisicm of the offense. The fact is, if our offense shows up against Texas, A&M and OU we don't lose any of those games. Our D was on the field the whole damn night. Same as every game last year.

So Osbornes INT did not set up a score??????

Cassidy did bite on the play action, but recovered enough to make a play on the ball.

After Tmart threw the INT into the endzone OU went 80 yards pretty quickly, Ou had the big MO at that point. Ou was 1 for 16 on 3rd down, usually when that happens your gonna win the game.

Defense did what they had to do to win the game..... Up 17-0 we gotta close the game out we didnt, OU got confident and adjusted something NU hasnt done very well.

The defense played very well, and you have to remember this was Oklahoma, a very good team with a potentially explosive offense. huskerscott had it right, "did you watch the game"? Turnovers and terrible offensive play calling was the reason for the loss.

Here are Nebraska's 2nd half drives...... without knowing the outcome you wouldve thought the huskers wouldve got blown out. I see 80 yards of offense, yet we lost by 3. Our defense kept us in the game, simple as that.

N24 12:13 Fumble 5-5 2:41

N22 09:08 Punt 3-2 1:29

N21 05:26 Punt 3-6 1:32

N42 14:01 Punt 8-22 4:33

O35 11:31 Fumble 3-22 1:11

N37 07:23 Punt 3-6 1:01

O45 03:36 Punt 5-11 3:03

N47 01:03 Downs 4-6 0:43

we had sacks, a tunover to set up a score, pretty good special teams returns, stopped them on fourth down a couple times, and held them to like 2-17 or something on 3rd down. the defense gave up a couple plays, that's to be expected as many as OU runs.

it's our offense and turnovers that sank us. period

Sometimes I think you must be Watson's brother or something the way you try to deflect all the critisicm of the offense. The fact is, if our offense shows up against Texas, A&M and OU we don't lose any of those games. Our D was on the field the whole damn night. Same as every game last year.

I'm not deflecting criticism of the offense, I'm deflecting criticism of Watson. I guess that doesn't help my case, huh? :) I actually have had some choice criticism for the offense today, but people are going WAY overboard on it and I'm going to call it out when I see it.

We had 7 yards to work with. If our offense was inept, and if Watson were as bad as getting touchdowns in big games and especially CCGs as everyone figured, that's the kind of thing that is liable to turn into a field goal. Instead, it's a touchdown. That's big, to me, the 4-point difference.

We really had everything going our way until Taylor crapped the bed and disappeared in the 2nd half. If you want to blame that on Watson, you can. I blame Bo and Watson both for the game plan this week of sending in Taylor, without getting Cody ready.

The Dude is right. Turnovers killed us, and several of those were giveaways. Also, the 50 yards of losses Taylor took on his sacks. Again mostly in the second half.

Huskerscott, it works both ways. Our O and D combined put us up big in the first half. Our D allows 7 which is not a big deal. Taylor makes the big mistake while we are trying to get it up to 20 or 24-7 and coming close to it. Our D then allows it to be 17-10. From there, we melt down and see the game tied up soon after. In the 2nd half, it's the offense that can't do anything while the defense does a largely admirable job of containing OU. Our D kept us in the game, but they also made it back into a game to begin with. This was a team loss, as I'm saying over and over. I like what the D did mostly, and I like what the O did at times.

• Fire 1

This game was a perfect overview of our season. A couple big offensive plays, but zero consistant offensive production. Turnovers galore and getting beat on the line. A defense that bends but doesn't break; yet isn't Suh like smothering either. How we didn't lose by 3 plus touchdowns still surprises me-i mean look at how many yards they put up, their starting field position and our 5 turnovers. How was this not a blowout?

I've been bashing Watson, but the Pelini's were not in the zone either. Why didn't we blitz on 3rd and 24??? We gave up 23 and then the DE didn't stay home on the naked bootleg. The more I think about it, there's blame to go around.

Nebraska's defense played about as good as you could hope for against a pretty talented offensive squad. Watching this game, Nebraska had plenty of more chances to win this game offensively than they did defensively. What was extremely frustrating about this specific play, however, is that we hit the OU player at least six yard back from the first down marker, yet Amukamara (or however was tackling him) was trying to go for the strip instead of wrapping him up and tackling. It was at a point in the game too that going for the strip wasn't exactly a necessity early in the fourth. I saw many OU players getting yards after contact because we were going for strips more than just wrapping up.

Simply put, you cannot win a game when you fumble multiple times and play inconsistent on the offensive line. You just can't do it.