Just Something to Think About...

Watching the last couple of years makes me ask myself if Nebraska and especially Bo could be shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to the future of bringing big time offensive recruits to Nebraska.

First, you have to realize that today's big-time recruits have been coddled by fans, the press and their coaches for years. They are used to being told how great they are and getting whatever extra perks come with being a five or four star recruit (I wouldn't know anything about that as I would have probably been a NR recruit if Rivals existed back in my day...when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we played with leather helmets with no face masks...). Anyway...here these coddled offensive recruits sit watching a little Nebraska football on TV and what do they see? The coach grabbing offensive linemen by the facemask and screaming at them as they come off the field...the coach blowing a gasket on the sideline at his QB...let's face it, Joe Paterno he ain't. Now this might work on defensive recruits but if I was a five star QB with six or seven offers, do I really want to go to Nebraska where chances are the coach, who seems to hate offensive players as a general rule, is going to grab me by the face on national TV and scream at me in front of millions? That offer from Arizona starts looking a lot better to me...nicer weather and a coach who isn't humiliating me in front of millions....

Second, if I'm a big time recruit watching Nebraska play over the last couple of seasons, I have to be asking myself...is it so important to this coach that he's going to make you play whether you're 100% or not? Lots of times last season and this Helu was out there with a bum shoulder and Martinez was out there with an ankle sprain and turf toe (or whatever it was) and what about Lee last season? If I'm a big time recuit with NFL aspirations I'm thinking "Gee...this coach wants to win so bad, he'll put me out there even if I have a broken skull. Don't they have anybody else who can play?" Nobody wants to think about a season or career ending injury because a guy is out there playing at less than 100% but Bo appears to throw them out there that way regardless. At least that's how it appears...

Finally, if I were a big time recruit watching Nebraska under Bo, I would be asking myself "Does anyone ever get to actually play besides the starters?" The Huskers seem to have a way of ending the game with the same players who started it no matter what the score. Player development through actual game participation seem to be no existant. Frankly, there have been some blowouts where some liberal substitutions seemed to be in order but never seemed to take place. It would appear to a recruit that the only time you would ever get to see some game time is when it's forced by an injury or one of Bo's "You suck...I'm yanking you" moods.

Now, as this is my opinion from my observations over the last couple of years, I may be totally off base BUT to me it seems that Bo is a great defensive motivator and I can see a lot of defensive success in Nebraska's future but as long as Bo Pelini remains the face of the entire team, I'm fearing that the offensive side of the team is not only not going to improve but will probably deteriorate from where it is now

Except kickers...recruiting kickers to NU should be easy because everybody loves the kicker!

With respect, Cy, I think you're really off base with this.

For starters, TONS OF COACHES get in the face of their players all the time. See Nick Saban, a championship winning coach.

Second, Pelini does not make you play if you're not 100%, and I'm sure he put Martinez out there because him being slightly hobbled still gave us the better chance to win (in his mind) than having Lee or Green out there. Martinez didn't look that hurt last night, especially early in the game. I don't know where you're getting this concept that Bo forces you to play if you aren't healthy. These players love Bo and say so all the time. Could you really love a man that forced you to do things you couldn't physically do?

Lastly, Nebraska rotates a lot of players on the offensive line and also (in the last two weeks) started giving significant playing time to a WR that never had playing time before in Joe Brokemeir (sp?). Yes, it was because of an injury, but I have seen many players getting opportunities this year that AREN'T the starters. Again, not really sure where you're getting this idea from. For perspective, in 1995, Nebraska would generally be dominating opponents by the time the second half started but Osborne rarely if ever pulled his starters until the third quarter was nearing an end or even into the fourth quarter. I don't know how ISU plays, but most teams I watch don't 'liberally' substitute. Their starters play a lot.

In the recruiting process, Coaches win over players in the livingroom, furthermore, if a 5 star player wants to judge a coach or program on a but chewin being show by biased tv coverage (this means to any team, not just nebraska, cuz that was tv does, it always paints a bad guy picture.) then we dont want the punk anyway.

Watching the last couple of years makes me ask myself if Nebraska and especially Bo could be shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to the future of bringing big time offensive recruits to Nebraska.

First, you have to realize that today's big-time recruits have been coddled by fans, the press and their coaches for years. They are used to being told how great they are and getting whatever extra perks come with being a five or four star recruit (I wouldn't know anything about that as I would have probably been a NR recruit if Rivals existed back in my day...when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we played with leather helmets with no face masks...). Anyway...here these coddled offensive recruits sit watching a little Nebraska football on TV and what do they see? The coach grabbing offensive linemen by the facemask and screaming at them as they come off the field...the coach blowing a gasket on the sideline at his QB...let's face it, Joe Paterno he ain't. Now this might work on defensive recruits but if I was a five star QB with six or seven offers, do I really want to go to Nebraska where chances are the coach, who seems to hate offensive players as a general rule, is going to grab me by the face on national TV and scream at me in front of millions? That offer from Arizona starts looking a lot better to me...nicer weather and a coach who isn't humiliating me in front of millions....

Second, if I'm a big time recruit watching Nebraska play over the last couple of seasons, I have to be asking myself...is it so important to this coach that he's going to make you play whether you're 100% or not? Lots of times last season and this Helu was out there with a bum shoulder and Martinez was out there with an ankle sprain and turf toe (or whatever it was) and what about Lee last season? If I'm a big time recuit with NFL aspirations I'm thinking "Gee...this coach wants to win so bad, he'll put me out there even if I have a broken skull. Don't they have anybody else who can play?" Nobody wants to think about a season or career ending injury because a guy is out there playing at less than 100% but Bo appears to throw them out there that way regardless. At least that's how it appears...

Finally, if I were a big time recruit watching Nebraska under Bo, I would be asking myself "Does anyone ever get to actually play besides the starters?" The Huskers seem to have a way of ending the game with the same players who started it no matter what the score. Player development through actual game participation seem to be no existant. Frankly, there have been some blowouts where some liberal substitutions seemed to be in order but never seemed to take place. It would appear to a recruit that the only time you would ever get to see some game time is when it's forced by an injury or one of Bo's "You suck...I'm yanking you" moods.

Now, as this is my opinion from my observations over the last couple of years, I may be totally off base BUT to me it seems that Bo is a great defensive motivator and I can see a lot of defensive success in Nebraska's future but as long as Bo Pelini remains the face of the entire team, I'm fearing that the offensive side of the team is not only not going to improve but will probably deteriorate from where it is now

Except kickers...recruiting kickers to NU should be easy because everybody loves the kicker!

Probably should have used a better example in the bolded part of the post. Mike Stoops is as bad/if not worse than Pelini when it comes to his sideline antics. Same with Saban...