If Watson is gone...

If Watson does leave (and he will have to leave because I don't think Bo will fire him), who becomes our next OC?

I have no clue, but am interested in some of the names you might come up with.

I really don't know who we can get, but If I made the money Bo does and was a head coach at the University of Nebraska, I had better have an idea. Hopefully one that actually makes a QB Better? And can stick with what works? I, for one, am sick of watching dismal failure under wats...

Guys, Shawn Watson is not going anywhere, unless he gets a "head Coaching job". If our receivers would have caught some balls in the Texas game, Taylor Martinez does not get hurt and we don't fumble on our end of the field during the Oklahoma game, we would not be talked about any of this. We would be playing for the National title. One person does not cost us a game, no I am not happy about last nights performance, but it is not Shawn Watson's fault the players did not hold onto the ball. It was the players themselves who did not execute the offense the way it should have been. We were moving the ball all night, then bang a turnover. This coaching staff will stay in place unless they get a head job, Bo is not going to let anyone go at this time.

How about Bill Lynch?

interesting but he sounds like a mood swinger like watson.....

but i like his recruiting potential and his strong charecter....

i heard he established IU own leadership council while he was there......

Plus he's got years and years of experience coaching against Big10 defenses...that could be a huge advantage

Im gonna throw an unkown into the ring. Kalen DeBoer. Currently OC at Souther Illinois (no idea how there season went) but was head coach for the University of Sioux Falls in SD. 67-3 record in 5 years with 3 NAIA National Championships while averaging 52 ppg. High character guy, good recruiter and knows his X's and O's.

WIKI

Am I the only one who would be curious what Bo might be like as an OC? I mean, the guy is such a football genius I just wonder what things would look like if he applied his strategic knowledge of the game to the other side of the ball...

I seriously hope you just forgot this :sarcasm

Haha, no, I really am curious. I mean, I'm sure it's an awful idea, but come on, nobody's even curious?! It's hard for me to figure out how a guy can know so much about defense and not be able to turn that the other way...

I hope they would give Scott Frost an interview to at least see how well versed he is in that explosive Oregon Offense.

I think it's pretty obvious that Bo would like to mirror that offense so, I suspect he would love to get a guy like Frost. On the other hand, with his limited experience I can't see him getting the OC gig and I'm not sure he'd be interested in a lateral move (IE replaceing Gilmore). I suspect that Bo would most likely go with Beck. Leach wouldn't seem to fit Bo's vision of this team. Bottom line though, Wats is the captian of this ship and it's certainly hit it's share of icebergs, for better of worse, i's time to make a change. GBR

Turner Gill to go tank city at KU and get fired? then he could become our OC! And we could bring scott frost in at wr coach to eventually take the torch! and then there would be a double rainbow!

Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves wrong here, but I get the feeling there's not a whoe lot of warm fuzzys between Bo and Gill.

Guys, Shawn Watson is not going anywhere, unless he gets a "head Coaching job". If our receivers would have caught some balls in the Texas game, Taylor Martinez does not get hurt and we don't fumble on our end of the field during the Oklahoma game, we would not be talked about any of this. We would be playing for the National title. One person does not cost us a game, no I am not happy about last nights performance, but it is not Shawn Watson's fault the players did not hold onto the ball. It was the players themselves who did not execute the offense the way it should have been. We were moving the ball all night, then bang a turnover. This coaching staff will stay in place unless they get a head job, Bo is not going to let anyone go at this time.

I agree! If you call the same plays Watson did during the Missouri game, and the blocking isnt there, or Helu fumbles a couple times the result is very different.All 3 losses this year were because of poor execution by the players, not the play calls.Bottom line is if the players run the plays properly (Block well, dont fumble , catch the ball,make good decisions at QB, and keep stupid penalties to a minimum)the OC ,and all the other coaches, look like a heroes. Otherwise people are calling for your head.

I agree! If you call the same plays Watson did during the Missouri game, and the blocking isnt there, or Helu fumbles a couple times the result is very different.All 3 losses this year were because of poor execution by the players, not the play calls.Bottom line is if the players run the plays properly (Block well, dont fumble , catch the ball,make good decisions at QB, and keep stupid penalties to a minimum)the OC ,and all the other coaches, look like a heroes. Otherwise people are calling for your head.

Perhaps because this isn't Madden, and there is more to coaching than play-calling. How is it that everyone can so easily explain away Watson's shortcomings with "players didn't execute"? How many games can we explain away to poor execution before someone is held accountable? The QB not make good decisions falls on lack of coaching by the QB coach. Guess who that is? When did "coaching" get removed from Watson's job description leaving soley "formulate plays" - because player execution is exactly what coaching gives you. Don't coach...players won't execute, simple as that.

I wish someone would put together a seasonal breakdown of Watson's offense, then remove the big plays and see what you're left with. I mean honestly - that's the difference between the games everyone calls him a genius for (Washington, 1st qtr Missouri, 1st half Oklahoma) and the games we lost (Texas, A&M, 2nd half Oklahoma). Watson's offensive philosophy depends on big plays (which is fine if you have playmakers)...but big plays are almost always generated from defensive breakdowns. In essense, Watson's entire offensive scheme is crap against a disciplined defense. Which is why we consistently lost against top-50 defenses. In fact, that's one of the few consistent things we can count on. When you are constantly searching for that big play - you can't count on anything w/ the offense.

We should have kicked the 62 yard field goal w/ 3:30 left. Alex had that much leg in him. Then we should have kicked the 64 yarder on 4th and 4. It had a better chance than a Taylor pass.