Scott Frost for OC!!!

You want to promote a position coach who can't even coach his players on how to hold onto the ball?

The RBs have been waaaay more consistent than the QBs or WRs.

Anyways, I'd be intrigued with Scott Frost as QB coach, Beck as RB coach/OC, Brown as TE/WR coach, Cotton as OL/assistant OC

If you get your wish I hope SF doesn't teach our QBs to throw like he did. Either that or we better get us some WRs with hands coming out of their kneecaps.

You're right Scott Frost was awful. It's not like he won any championships or anything.

Sure, he was great at passing. Backwards to a running back. It was just the forward kind he had problems with.

He didn't look too bad on the same field as Peyton Manning.

Scott Frost to Peyton Manning in passing is like Peyton Manning to Scott Frost in running the option. (To put in in SAT prep terms.)

Don't get me wrong. I think SF was a great QB--especially at running the option. Just not a great passing QB.

"Frost holds the school record with 155 attempted passes with no interceptions."

"QB Scott Frost: 88/159 (55.3%) for 1,237 yards (7.80) with 5 TD vs. 4 INT (2.52%). 176 carries for 1,095 yards (6.22) and 19 TD." (1997 season)

But, no, he's not exactly Payton Manning but I think we'd all be happy with a QB like that again :)

What is wrong with some of you? Can't get good players? Won't ever be Florida or USC or Texas? As of right now we have a top ten recruiting class in the country. Yes USC was great in the 2000's but where were they in the 90's and where are they heading now? Where was Florida in the early 2000's? Of course they are always going to get great recruits, bc they have them in their back yard. Also winning will bring players. We return to 10 wins years in and year out and we will have just as much talent as anyone in the country.

There is a reason that people look for Nebraskans when openings on the staff open up. Nebraska football is a culture, it's a way of life, and it's different than any other school. Former players like Scott Frost and Marvin Sanders understand that. Bo Pelini just happened to grow up in a similar football culture, and he learned Nebraska's culture under Frank Solich in 2003. Coaches like Shawn Watson, Ted Gilmore, and Bill Callahan don't understand that, they don't get what makes Nebraska football special. They don't get the Pipeline or the walk-ons or smashmouth football with a hard edge or any of that.

There's no place like Nebraska. That's a feel-good slogan, that's it. Maybe I am not getting it but I completely disagree with this characterization. It's feel-good fluff and that is it. You may as well say California kids like Roy Helu just don't get our way of life. There is no reason to ever settle for a lower quality coach on the tenuous basis that they are Nebraskans and "get" our culture.

Finally, Nebraska isn't Texas. It's not Florida State or Florida or Alabama, it's not every coach's dream job. We can't have whoever we want.

We CAN get a GOOD prospect and maybe a better one if we shell out the money, which we have. There are guys that we could have on the staff and we do not need to be settling. I want someone who can teach, and who knows the game. These are extremely important qualities you won't get by just settling for a guy. And not looking at someone based on their qualifications...seems like a good reason to me.

Also I could care less how well Frost did as a player, because we aren't talking about him as a player. We are talking about him as a QBs coach now. He's going to be the guy that is going to go in there and have to fix young players' mechanics, develop their passing skills, etc. How well he played against Tennessee really doesn't matter at all. Maybe Frost can teach mechanics. I don't think there is a shred of evidence to support confidence in that though.

Strongly disagree with you on the cultural stuff. The players did buy into it, and it helped us over the decades. We were the school of big strong offensive lineman, of Outland trophy winners and of great running backs. We played hard, we played physical, and teams felt the pain for weeks after they played us. That was Nebraska. You're honestly going to tell me that our DRASTIC change in offensive philosophy, in culture and in identity, had nothing to do with the fact that the 2000's were the worst decade in Nebraska football since the 1950's? You do realize that we used to be a top 5 team year in and year out, that we were playing for conference championships every year, right? And that we won a lot of them? That wasn't a dream, we really did that.

We won our national championships differently than anyone else because that's what we had to do. We are Nebraska, not Florida or USC, we've never been able to recruit Peyton Manning and Randy Moss and we're never going to be able to. We have to be ourselves, and we haven't been for about a decade.

I respect the sentiment you express for the Nebraska Way, but I think it's kind of like George Washington and his cherry tree. It's a nice story and all, it just isn't real.

Randy Moss went to Marshall. We've had three Heisman trophy winners, a slew of Outland and Lombardi winners, a laundry list of All-Americans and All-Conference athletes, and there is a national award named after one of our players. (Rimington.) So this idea that we've been some brave little band of brave physically overmatched warriors that won on heart and heart alone is INSANE. We've had monster athletes at Nebraska. We reinvented the way schools weight train, and it was donation money that built those facilities and Boyd Epley that made those facilities hum, not cultural tendencies. And of course, we've won five national championships. We are no one's little brother, and that includes USC or Florida.

More than anything, we had some brilliant coaching minds. Iconic college football coaches. That didn't have anything to do with our culture, it was luck. We landed Devaney and he turned out to be a massive coup for us. And Dr. Tom was one of the relatively small number of people born in Hastings Nebraska in 1937. That was pretty lucky, too.

I'm not saying that we were overmatched. The reason we weren't overmatched, is because we played the game differently. We built our teams on the offensive line and on big, fast, powerful running backs. We built our championship offenses around mobile, option-oriented QBs, not around Peyton Mannings. We get great athletes that other people don't want, like Tommie Frazier or Scott Frost (and now Taylor Martinez).

Over the last 50 years, we've had 2 truly big time WRs. Johnny Rodgers, and Irving Fryar. Anyone think that's going to change anytime soon? No, because we aren't Miami or Florida or USC, that's not what we're good at, and we don't have wide receivers with 4.3 speed sitting in our backyard. We don't win in the recruiting game, we never will. So we played a different game than any of those other schools we competed against, and that's how we beat them.

This is part of why we have struggled on offense recently. Does anybody honestly think we can run a west coast offense or a spread offense and compete against all the other teams trying to run those offenses? I don't think we'd be able to out-recruit Boise State for the talent you need in those offenses. They have a reputation, and identity, they have flash right now.

Nebraska isn't and never will be flash. We're a tradition built on the hard work of guys like Rex Burkheads and Scott Frosts (watch him lower his shoulder going into contact if you don't believe me), and we always will be. If we don't play to our strengths as a program, we aren't going to find our way back to the top.

What is wrong with some of you? Can't get good players? Won't ever be Florida or USC or Texas? As of right now we have a top ten recruiting class in the country. Yes USC was great in the 2000's but where were they in the 90's and where are they heading now? Where was Florida in the early 2000's? Of course they are always going to get great recruits, bc they have them in their back yard. Also winning will bring players. We return to 10 wins years in and year out and we will have just as much talent as anyone in the country.

Dude, I love Lincoln, I grew up there... But you can't believe that getting kids to come play at Nebraska is the same as getting kids to come and play at Florida or USC or Texas. It just isn't, and it never will be.

When I say we won't ever be Florida or USC or Texas, I mean that as a warning and as a good thing. I don't want to be Florida or USC or Texas, that's the good thing. And the warning is that we are never going to be able to get rosters loaded with talent like theirs are, unless we bring in different kinds of talent to do different things. They're going to pass over Rex Burkheads, and we're going to get them. They're going to pass over Taylor Martinez's, and we're going to get them. But we have to build a system around that kind of talent, and as a result, we have to coach differently.

The whole point of this entire discussion comes back to the point that just because Scott Frost doesn't have national name recognition or as much experience doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good hire for OUR program. Norm Chow (or, I'll say it, Bill Callahan) have great recognition and experience. They'd be considered top candidates for position coaches or coordinators anywhere. But that doesn't mean they'd work out at Nebraska.

I think there's something to be said for the effects of culture, although it's obviously tough to pinpoint in a tangible way. And of course it's overblown by many of the fans. But I think there has traditionally been a certain attitude here that's a little bit different from other places that helped us reach levels other programs not located in recruiting hotbeds could not. And yes, we needed the Boyd Epleys and the Tommie Fraziers and the Barron Miles to put it all together.

Tom Osborne, Charlie McBride and even Boyd Epley would attest to the subtle effects of culture. Those are not dumb guys.

(This doesn't have anything to do with Frost, BTW.)

I agree with that, JTrain, but just to this extent: the kind of culture we build and the kind of people we have, that's important. Whether they are from Nebraska or not or were former players with connections here or not, that's not. Building an establishment with all the right pieces is tough, but you have to go to all sorts of places to pull those pieces in, IMO, and it is often very hard to identify who will fit and who won't. Too often we look at it through the absurdly simple lens of "He's a Nebraska guy" and "He isn't a Nebraska guy."

Ithink the reason we won back in our dynasty days was because we were ahead of the curve on everything. Strength training for instance, and we had a system that we had perfected.

But training has caught up around the country, and the schemes battle has taken off. We will have to remain ahead of the curve and it's gonna be a fight. We need a staff that will innovate and do this the same way T.O. did.

However, I think most see it the reverse way - and say that something worked for us once, so we must statically go back to that and stay there in order to hope for the same kind of success. I think it is a lot more complex than that.

I think the reason we won back in our dynasty days was because we were ahead of the curve on everything. Strength training for instance, and we had a system that we had perfected.

But training has caught up around the country, and the schemes battle has taken off. We will have to remain ahead of the curve and it's gonna be a fight. We need a staff that will innovate and do this the same way T.O. did.

However, I think most see it the reverse way - and say that something worked for us once, so we must statically go back to that and stay there in order to hope for the same kind of success. I think it is a lot more complex than that.

Absolutely. And maybe at the end of the day, that is the culture we are really referring to. Being ahead of the curve.

In the Pelini defensive schemes, I think we are seeing some bright innovation. The trick will be extending that innovation to the other 2/3 of the game, and naturally, being able to recruit the right athletes to fit our schemes. Honestly, I feel pretty good about where this program is headed, last Saturday night notwithstanding. We were straight up irrelevant for a few years, and that is most definitely not the case as we sit here tonight. (I know the Holiday Bowl doesn't really fit the definition of major national relevance, but in reality the additional practice time the staff gets to spend with the team is crucial. And *eleven wins is a sturdy number, even if two of them came against the Huskies.)

*It is always dangerous to assume victory over anyone, but....I like our chances against Washington for some reason.

I agree with that, JTrain, but just to this extent: the kind of culture we build and the kind of people we have, that's important. Whether they are from Nebraska or not or were former players with connections here or not, that's not. Building an establishment with all the right pieces is tough, but you have to go to all sorts of places to pull those pieces in, IMO, and it is often very hard to identify who will fit and who won't. Too often we look at it through the absurdly simple lens of "He's a Nebraska guy" and "He isn't a Nebraska guy."

I don't disagree. I think Frost's Nebraska roots are simply one in several reasons why he should get a look at WR coach. Not because there is some magical Nebraska aura about him, but because we stand a better chance of him sticking around for a while if he's successful. But there are several reasons to think he's deserving. Being just over a decade removed from being a national champion player can't be bad for recruiting. He's studied under some great football minds both as a player and coach. And surely there is something to be said for the fact that Oregon even hired him. Oregon is a big football program whose goal is to win the national title. They only have nine spots for assistant coaches, and the fact that they took a shot on a guy who was a defensive assistant for just two years at an FCS program says a lot.

Scott was one of the most impressive young men I have ever had the opportunity to interview. I felt his passion and knowledge for the game was extremely enlightening and believe that will carry over into his ability as a coach and a recruiter.

Would we be looking at Scott frost if he wasn't a husker? Probably not. But since he was. and we know about his outstanding character as a player, coupled with his success so far in his coaching career. He does deserve consideration.

And for the people who think that Scott frost as a football player is irrelevant to Scott frost the football coach. You're being foolish. The great work ethic, dedication and intelligence that made him a great player are certainly transferable characteristics for being a great coach.. It's definitely not all that matters, but they are great assets.

For what it's worth, I see problems for the offense. The three biggest reasons drives have stalled this year are pentalties, fumbles, and dropped passes. The reason the offense seemed to click when Martinez was healthy was because he could overcome poor offensive line play. When he was hurt like Saturday, he got sacked 7 times. The OL is better than last year, but it is a far cry from being where we need it. We have the talent at WR, but unfortunately none of them can catch with any consistency. I don't know that I've ever seen a D1 receiving corps. catch the ball as poorly as ours. I'm not a huge fan of Cotton's, but lets get real: he isn't going anywhere. I have no problem at all seeing Gilmore getting his walking papers.

Some would argue Martinez only looked good when O-Line did...Just a thought.

I've seen the Scott Frost for OC on several boards now and I don't get it.

With the exception of him being a Nebraska guy, the central argument seems to be that he is a position coach on a high powered offense. To me, it doesn't seem a whole lot different then saying 'I was the Quarterback coach of the 2007 Huskers'.

Frost may/may not be an effective coordinator but he has no resume that indicates he could.

I'm not making any predictions, but I am curious to see what Oregon does against an average SEC defense.

Like I said earlier if people are so quick to throw Frosts name out there with his limited coaching experience or success for that matter, why not throw Mike Grants name out there as well? What he did with the Iowa State receivers in his time there trumps anything Frost has done in his coaching career so far. He also has the criteria of being a former Husker as well.

Mike Grant deserves a look if people think Frost does.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=1413825

I have watched a couple of Oregon games this year and I dont even remember seeing Frost with a headset on during the games. Maybe Ive just noticed him at the wrong times though.