FLU

Am I the only one that doesn't think our schedule is that bad anymore? At the beginning of the season I really though it was tough. But at this point...I see an Ohio State team that has yet to beat a team that is currently ranked, and a Wisconsin team that will graduate it's QB, and see their star RB probably leave early for the NFL. They lose their #1WR, #1TE, half the OL, and need to replace 4 seniors on defense.

I don't see Iowa in Lincoln as any more difficult than MU this year. Minnesota, Penn State, Northwestern, Michigan, we should all be favored in. Michigan St loses almost their entire OL and the core of the defense. Wisconsin, Ohio St (home), Michigan St (home) - I don't see why we couldn't get 2 out of 3 of those and finish the season with 1 loss. I'm just not high on the strength of the Big10 this year.

I hope you're right...

Am I the only one that doesn't think our schedule is that bad anymore? At the beginning of the season I really though it was tough. But at this point...I see an Ohio State team that has yet to beat a team that is currently ranked, and a Wisconsin team that will graduate it's QB, and see their star RB probably leave early for the NFL. They lose their #1WR, #1TE, half the OL, and need to replace 4 seniors on defense.

I don't see Iowa in Lincoln as any more difficult than MU this year. Minnesota, Penn State, Northwestern, Michigan, we should all be favored in. Michigan St loses almost their entire OL and the core of the defense. Wisconsin, Ohio St (home), Michigan St (home) - I don't see why we couldn't get 2 out of 3 of those and finish the season with 1 loss. I'm just not high on the strength of the Big10 this year.

This has basically been my thought ever since it was announced we were headed to the Big 10. The bowl season might provide better insight, but I've never been high on the strength of the Big 10. This bowl season could be very telling for both the Big 10 and the Pac 10.

To be the best we have to beat the best. I am going to have high expectations no matter what and certainly am not going to wait until 2013 to expect a national championship run.

I agree... just saying that it will be very unlikely that we can run the table with the schedules we have over the next 2 seasons.

Honestly... I think 2013 will be our next chance to be title contenders. First off we lose alot of talent on defense and offense. Gone are Gomes, hagg, Prince, Allen,McNeill, Paul, Helu all big players we depended on this past season to make plays. I already see to prob losses on the schedule next year, against Wisc and Ohio State. This year I saw none if we played our best, yet we had 3. So until we figure out how close games out and move the ball downfield(im talking actual drives) I think we could prob end up 8-4 or 9-3 in the regular season and if we make the CCG I'll be happy, but not expecting it.

This thread is meaningless because the world is going to end in 2012, duh. ;)

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

To be the best we have to beat the best. I am going to have high expectations no matter what and certainly am not going to wait until 2013 to expect a national championship run.

I agree... just saying that it will be very unlikely that we can run the table with the schedules we have over the next 2 seasons.

For the next two seasons, 8 wins a season during the regular season (that is, not counting the bowl game) will be very solid --- akin to what our 9(10) win regular seasons these last two years have been like. That is, if we remain the caliber of team that we were last year and are this year (years in which, against the schedules we faced in the B12, yielded 9 and 10 regular season wins)will yield no more than 8 (and probably more like 7) wins a season the next two years (and likely would result in NU not being ranked at seasons end).

If NU improves quite a bit the next two years.... then a 9 or 10 win season may result. Such would yield a ranked team at seasons end. But to do so, NU would have to improve quite a bit over where they are presently.

A massive improvement over where we are currently and NU could win 11 --- go 11-2 during the regular season (which counts CCG).

Going undefeated either of the next two years is completely unrealistic and well... absurd as a prediction.

The point? I agree that NU will not have a NC run in the foreseeable future. They need to hope for some improvement so as to finish the next couple of years with 8-4 type records (and have as a goal winning their division in the B10). Any national championship talk is just so crazy that it is foolish. NU is ranked about right at this point --- about the #15 or so team in the nation. Teams legitimately ranked at #15 or so really have little logical reason to see a NC run in the immediate future.

Again... expect 8 wins. Hope for 9 or 10. Anything beyond that is unrealistic.

Teams legitimately ranked at #15 or so really have little logical reason to see a NC run in the immediate future.

POST OF THE DAY HERE

Oregon (#11) & Auburn (Not Ranked in 2009) had no logical reason to see a NC run in their immediate future...

...but Texas (#2), Florida (#3), Iowa (#7), Cincinnati (#8), Penn State (#9), Virginia Tech (#10) certainly had plenty of logic on their side. :facepalm:

For the next two seasons, 8 wins a season during the regular season (that is, not counting the bowl game) will be very solid

A conservative estimate (assuming what you're using) below. I don't consider this solid at all. If we can't get AT LEAST 1 win against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, or Iowa (3 of which are home games) - then we must have kept Watson as OC and Carl left for a HC gig.

Yet to be scheduled NC oponent - win

Fresno State - win

Washington - win

Wyoming - win

Wisconsin - loss

Ohio State - loss

Minnesota - win

Michigan St - loss

Northwestern - win

Penn State - win

Michigan - win

Iowa - loss

I personally see us being contenders in the Big Ten next year.

@ Wisconsin is obviously going to be a balanced team next year. I don't think they will be as good without Scott Tolzien though. But with John Clay and Company, Wisconsin will resemble offensively what Nebraska did this year: a very strong running team with an iffy passing game. This game will be close and could be decided by which defense steps up and stops the running game.

Way too Early Prediction: Nebraska 24 Wisconsin 17 OT

vs. Ohio State If both teams are undefeated heading into this game at Lincoln, bet on College GameDay showing up for this game. Ohio State will be a scary team offensively next year with Terrelle Pryor and Dan Herron making a return to THE Ohio State University. Ohio State's defense will undergo minor changes as they do lose some key players on the D-Line and in the secondary. If Nebraska can, with great linebacker play, prevent Pryor from scrambling and if the D-Line can get pressure on Pryor, he will make mistakes in the passing game. Our offense will have to step up and convert off these turnovers because this will be what decides this game.

Way too Early Prediction: Ohio State 23 Nebraska 17

@ Minnesota: Bo Pelini will show just how silly Cosgrove's defense was when he was at Nebraska. And Nebraska's potentially inept, potentially explosive offense will put a load of points on the board at TFC Bank Stadium.

Way too Early Prediction: Nebraska 45 Minnesota 10

vs Michigan State Michigan State will have to find players to step up to fill the big shoes that will be left in Sparty land after this year. If they do, then look for Michigan State to make this game close. If they don't, Nebraska shuts down Michigan State offensively and will score enough points to win the football game.

Way too Early Prediction: Nebraska 27 Michigan State 17

vs Northwestern: Northwestern is a sleeper team for next year. They don't lose a whole lot of players and will be a very experienced group. If there is an upset of Nebraska next year, look for it to come in this game against the Wildcats.

Way too Early Prediciton: Nebraska 28 Northwestern 24

@ Penn State: Talk about an experienced team next year. Penn State, like Northwestern, doesn't lose a whole lot of starters. There offensive line will take some hits, but other than that their offense will be back, minus Evan Royster. This game will be close, but I'll give the advantage to a rocking Happy Valley in this one.

Way too Early Prediction: Penn State 24 Nebraska 20

@ Michigan So long as they keep Greg Robinson at defensive coordinator, Michigan isn't getting any better defensively and when they run up against a Nebraska defense who will have, perhaps the best linebacking core in the nation with a great defensive line and a pretty good secondary (because, come on, we lose a lot of stars, but there are people back there to fill their shoes), their explosive offense will be shut down for the most part.

Way too Early Prediction: Nebraska 34 Michigan 20

vs Iowa: Let Farmageddon BEGIN! I think Nebraska takes the first one in this Thanksgiving series. Iowa won't be as strong on offense as they were this year, and you saw what happened to them (7-5). I think our defense shuts them down and Nebraska wins by scoring just enough to win.

Way too Early Prediction: Nebraska 21 Iowa 13

Barring we don't lose any OOC games

Final Record: 10-2 (6-2)

Meet Ohio State in the first Big Ten Championship Game.

Looking at a possible Rose Bowl berth next year.

At least that is my expectations. Think of them what you will

The problem with our schedule isn't all of the individual matchups themselves, most of which we will be the better team in, but in the ridiculous grind of playing all of those games back to back to back to back without any ISU, KSU, KU, BU or similar school to have a rest against.

With that being said, assuming that all the Big 10 teams will produce similar results as they did this year, I think the conference will be solid enough that even a two loss Nebraska team would be in the talking for a NC berth, assuming they were regular season losses and we won the Big 10 title. LSU did it in 2007, and I think top to bottom our schedule and conference will be tougher than theirs was. If we're 11-2 after winning the Big 10 CCG, you better believe we'll be a top 10 team, most likely top 5.

The problem with our schedule isn't all of the individual matchups themselves, most of which we will be the better team in, but in the ridiculous grind of playing all of those games back to back to back to back without any ISU, KSU, KU, BU or similar school to have a rest against.

With that being said, assuming that all the Big 10 teams will produce similar results as they did this year, I think the conference will be solid enough that even a two loss Nebraska team would be in the talking for a NC berth, assuming they were regular season losses and we won the Big 10 title. LSU did it in 2007, and I think top to bottom our schedule and conference will be tougher than theirs was. If we're 11-2 after winning the Big 10 CCG, you better believe we'll be a top 10 team, most likely top 5.

Why would you possibly assume a two loss team would be in the talking for a NC berth if all Big 10 teams produce similar results to this year? There are three one loss Big 10 teams right now with absolutely none of them in the talking for a NC berth. The highest ranked Big 10 team isn't even the highest ranked one loss team. I really wish the BCS would have put Wisconsin up against Stanford rather than TCU, but we'll see how it goes. The bowl games could be very telling about the Big 10. Michigan State was probably the luckiest team in 2010. After you get past Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin; there wasn't a team in the conference that won more than seven games. The Big 12 and the SEC both had five teams ranked in the top 20. The Big 10 had three pretty good teams and then there was quite a bit of distance.

For the next two seasons, 8 wins a season during the regular season (that is, not counting the bowl game) will be very solid

A conservative estimate (assuming what you're using) below. I don't consider this solid at all. If we can't get AT LEAST 1 win against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, or Iowa (3 of which are home games) - then we must have kept Watson as OC and Carl left for a HC gig.

Yet to be scheduled NC oponent - win

Fresno State - win

Washington - win

Wyoming - win

Wisconsin - loss

Ohio State - loss

Minnesota - win

Michigan St - loss

Northwestern - win

Penn State - win

Michigan - win

Iowa - loss

Don't see us losing to Michigan State or Iowa; however, I do think we'll somehow end up with 3 losses again.