Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

Bo has a right to be angry with that treatment he got, but just to play Devil's advocate, the university had a right to be angry with Bo, too. Two wrongs don't make a right. If Bo was playing a media game here to communicate something to Harvey and Tom, he did it in a way that hurt us and isn't likely to win him a lot of fans. Which I suppose he could care less about, but c'mon, recruiting impact and creating a distraction where none was needed.

Sounds like any contact he had with the Miami AD was harmless, but Bo sure let the speculation run wild. If Bo has a problem with his superiors, that's his right and I can't argue with it. But he is making the same mistake that his superiors made when they had a problem with him - which is choosing not to handle it internally. Well, I don't know. Maybe he did let Harvey know how not cool any of that was, but he doesn't have to feel like he wants everyone to know he was wronged here.

The university had a right to be upset, but there was no reason to go public the way they did. That just made matters worse. Harvey's public admonishment of Bo was a shot across the bow - "Fix your sideline demeanor, or you're done at Nebraska."

This was Bo shooting back.

Bo won.

Hopefully Harvey gets that, and stops pissing our head coach off before we lose him.

• Fire 1

The university had a right to be upset, but there was no reason to go public the way they did. That just made matters worse. Harvey's public admonishment of Bo was a shot across the bow - "Fix your sideline demeanor, or you're done at Nebraska."

This was Bo shooting back.

Bo won.

Hopefully Harvey gets that, and stops pissing our head coach off before we lose him.

Did he "win"? Now you have a potentially larger split between the head coach and the administration, fans taking sides against Bo or Harvey/Tom, and a perpetual state of paranoia that Bo could bolt at any time. I don't think anybody "won."

I mostly agree with that Hercules, though I have seen differing opinions. So I thought it'd be interesting to play Devil's Advocate. I just don't agree with Bo shooting back. Mainly I do not like to see the AD/Chancellor pitted against the HC in any way, as no matter who 'wins', there is no victory, for the fans.

considering some of the negative opinions of Harvey- (which i fail get-we wouldnt be in the big ten without this man, and thats a fact) -then Bo trying to get one back on such a 'worthless' target is even more immature and uncalled for. He's a football coach. Worry about the football program. Harvey is the University, which as hard is it might be to believe, the program falls underneath of. And when the football program holds unnatural sway over greater public opinion (not everyone is from Nebraska or cares about the football program, even students the university wishes to have) then Perlman has every right and a responsibility to say things that may look bad on the football program, but uphold the universities integrity. Its not like he called Bo a witch.

• Fire 2

considering some of the negative opinions of Harvey- (which i fail get-we wouldnt be in the big ten without this man, and thats a fact) -then Bo trying to get one back on such a 'worthless' target is even more immature and uncalled for. He's a football coach. Worry about the football program. Harvey is the University, which as hard is it might be to believe, the program falls underneath of. And when the football program holds unnatural sway over greater public opinion (not everyone is from Nebraska or cares about the football program, even students the university wishes to have) then Perlman has every right and a responsibility to say things that may look bad on the football program, but uphold the universities integrity. Its not like he called Bo a witch.

This is a short-sighted statement, and one of which gives as a 'holier than thou' look.

Did you watch Nick Saban absolutely light into AJ McCarron? Or any game when Coach K drops 'F' bombs with regularity at the officials? Stuff like Bo's behavior is the norm for coaches, so why is it suddenly such a horrid thing to watch from our coach?

I mean, Bo could have easily called out Taylor and Casey Martinez for their role in what happened during one of his outbursts, but again, he protects his player and lets the blunt of the punishment fall on him. Taylor gets off without criticism from the media, but the clip of Bo flipping out plays over and over.

Again, this goes back to some common courtesy for the way Bo bites the bullet in the press for others. Show the man the same courtesy instead of selling him out.

I mean, our University has made it through Lawrence freakin' Phillips and Christian Peter. I do not think that Bo chewing out some officials is suddenly going to doom our University and damage our image beyond repair.

• Fire 4

This is a short-sighted statement, and one of which gives as a 'holier than thou' look.

Did you watch Nick Saban absolutely light into AJ McCarron? Or any game when Coach K drops 'F' bombs with regularity at the officials? Stuff like Bo's behavior is the norm for coaches, so why is it suddenly such a horrid thing to watch from our coach?

I mean, Bo could have easily called out Taylor and Casey Martinez for their role in what happened during one of his outbursts, but again, he protects his player and lets the blunt of the punishment fall on him. Taylor gets off without criticism from the media, but the clip of Bo flipping out plays over and over.

Again, this goes back to some common courtesy for the way Bo bites the bullet in the press for others. Show the man the same courtesy instead of selling him out.

I mean, our University has made it through Lawrence freakin' Phillips and Christian Peter. I do not think that Bo chewing out some officials is suddenly going to doom our University and damage our image beyond repair.

i completely get what you are saying. its not holier than thou.

Try this: Harvey is simply doing for the university as what you so clearly outlined in your post. The tone of the articles after Harveys announcements, and moreso the fanbases venom, was then directed at Perlman and whether or not what he did was right. Politics. Its a grander scale.

Try this: Harvey is simply doing for the university as what you so clearly outlined in your post. The tone of the articles after Harveys announcements, and moreso the fanbases venom, was then directed at Perlman and whether or not what he did was right. Politics.

Yes, it is. When our Chancellor feels the need to protect our University's "image" because the HC of our football program was tough on officials, it gives off the complete feel of a 'holier than thou' attitude. Coaches riding officials and players is a reality of any program - deal with it.

To your last part - no. The national media, and even folks from around here applauded Harvey and TO for supposedly squashing this issue. I was one of the few at the time who took exception to what happened, especially on this board. But then the reality was, just as it is now, that our administration blew it up by bringing more attention to it by publicly calling Bo out.

And really, Harvey doesn't have jack to worry about with bad press. All Harvey needs to do (as he always has done) is appease the folks who keep pumping money into the University and keep them happy. Otherwise, Harvey needs to sit back ST.. up, and let Tom Osborne worry about Bo, just like Osborne has done from day 1.

Saban and Coach K each have multiple national titles under their belt as head coaches and have been around long enough to get some length on the leash so to speak. I've personally never seen Coach K or Saban sprint across the field to rip into a ref, and spend the entire game going nuts on the refs. They make their point and move on, Bo is still a young coach, and will get that leash as the years pass.

But, TO and Harvey had both had talked to Bo about his sideline behavior in 2008 between the VT and OU games in private, and he had been told to tone it down. Harvey caught a lot of grief from boosters and others, he felt he didn't have a choice but to do it in public since the previous attempts didn't solve the "problem"

But with that said, if Bo is worked up over Harvey literally only saying that the behavior was unfortunate and that he would discuss with Bo then Bo needs to calm down.

It's not like Harvey came out and said that if it happens again Bo is fired, basically all he said was that he wished it wouldn't have been on camera in public.

• Fire 1

Try this: Harvey is simply doing for the university as what you so clearly outlined in your post. The tone of the articles after Harveys announcements, and moreso the fanbases venom, was then directed at Perlman and whether or not what he did was right. Politics.

Yes, it is. When our Chancellor feels the need to protect our University's "image" because the HC of our football program was tough on officials, it gives off the complete feel of a 'holier than thou' attitude. Coaches riding officials and players is a reality of any program - deal with it.

To your last part - no. The national media, and even folks from around here applauded Harvey and TO for supposedly squashing this issue. I was one of the few at the time who took exception to what happened, especially on this board. But then the reality was, just as it is now, that our administration blew it up by bringing more attention to it by publicly calling Bo out.

And really, Harvey doesn't have jack to worry about with bad press. All Harvey needs to do (as he always has done) is appease the folks who keep pumping money into the University and keep them happy. Otherwise, Harvey needs to sit back ST.. up, and let Tom Osborne worry about Bo, just like Osborne has done from day 1.

you need to take off the rose colored glasses. Bo's outburst was on national TV, LIVE, and headlines after on ESPN.com were highlighting such, well before Harvey made his comments on Sunday. People act like it would have magically gone away if Harvey never would have opened his mouth. Also, it was far from within the norm. The man was a fire spewing demon throughout the game. I was amazed he didnt have more than the one personal foul called on him.

We'll never know, but my guess is that if Harvey never said anything, that we'd have another Lawrence Phillips type backlash on our hands. That you can get away with anything at Nebraska. They were going to make news about it however they could. When Harvey came out and admonished Bo, it turned from "Coach goes apesh#t" to "Boss unhappy with employee for going apesh#t." Either way, I said on this board that nationally it would all blow over within a week. It mostly did. The only ones arguing about it now are people like you and me, fans on the 'same side.'

• Fire 1

My "inside source" has given me a bit of info.

Hocutt called Bo, Bo took it not exactly knowing what he wanted to talk about since they know each other. Hocutt and Bo exchanged the normal family things going on, and Hocutt brought up needing to hire a new coach. He asked Pelini if he had any recommendations, Pelini gave him some info on people he's worked with and may be good candidates to interview. Eventually Hocutt quit beating around the bush, and basically asked Pelini if he might be interested. Pelini basically eventually told him thanks, but no thanks. So, Hocutt was trying to pull a coup, but he was also interested in recommendations.

Bo will be back, and really with the players we have, the ones redshirted and the ones coming in, I don't know why in the hell he would want to leave. He spent alot of blood, sweat, and tears into getting his players, and now coming round to his 4th year is when this really becomes his baby!!!! I'm telling you all now, we are going to be a "powerful player" for years to come if we can just find some offense.

The AD of Miami who NEEDS A HEAD FOOTBALL COACH called HEAD FOOTBALL COACH Bo Pelini and Bo took the call not really knowing what he wanted to talk about..........

And I'm the King of France

"Hey Kirby, it's been a while. Happy holidays to you too, yep kids are good. Oh really?! You guys need a coach at Miami? I hadn't heard."

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: