Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

You're absolutely correct - I don't think you get this distinction. Even "real" sports reporters aren't above driving traffic to their newspaper/website/TV show by essentially fabricating a story based on unnamed sources. Your whole contention is that, because a "real" newspaper is reporting this, that it must be real. Think again. Those "unnamed sources" could just as easily be the bullpen where the sports team at the Miami Herald sat around tossing out names for new coaches.

Not everything you read in the newspaper is real, or based on facts. Newspapers are businesses that need readers, and they'll get them however they can. I can't believe people still don't get this.

Fabricating is an awful strong word. Reporters develop trusted sources over the years, when they get information that matches from two of those sources it's pretty safe to run the article. Keep in mind that just because something is true at one point in time, doesn't always mean that it would be true forever.

You're right, fabricating is a strong word. And to be clear, I think the vast majority of reporters, especially the folks here in Nebraska, are WAY above this kind of thing. I think that journalistic integrity is still the norm. I have faith that when the JournalStar, Omaha World Herald, Sean Callahan, Sam McKewon or any of our other local guys (including persona non grata Eric Olson) write something, it's based on the truth as they know it.

However, I would not make that claim for all media types. The New York Times, one of the more well-respected news outlets in America, has had several instances of lapses in journalistic integrity over the years, most notably Jayson Blair and Jared Stern. USAToday's Jack Kelley was involved in another major scandal a few years back. You simply cannot believe without question things you read in print, and reporters are not above outright fabrications of stories to further their careers.

None of this means Bo is staying, or that these rumors are untrue. Local writers are stating that they believe Bo has been in contact with Miami. But until Bo holds a presser wearing a Miami polo, I'm not going to believe he's leaving.

If Bo did meet with Miami with regards to their coaching vacancy without asking/informing TO, I'd say he's playing with fire.

True, but I'd say he's also a hot commodity and TO was playing with fire when he basically laid down an ultimatum in saying it's important "going forward that we don't have a recurrance" of the sideline behavior vs A&M.

TO's statement alone probably wouldn't have rankled Bo, but when coupled with Pearlman's asinine sputterings some bitter misgivings were clearly swarming all over that A&M game aftermath. If I'm Bo, maybe I feel a little unappreciated and maybe more than a little suffocated.

If this is true and he did talk to Miami like was reported on the morning news then Bo can leave IMO. If you don’t want to be here then get out. This isn’t like an assistant coach talking to another school about a better position then the one they currently hold. This is a Head Coach at a Top 20 program talking to the A.D. of a school that isn’t ranked and is in turmoil.

If it is because he got publicly reprimanded by Pearlman I say, stop acting like a moron on the sidelines and that would stop your boss from publicly reprimanding you.

If it is because he wants to fire Watson and T.O. won’t let him I say T.O. needs to stick to being an A.D. and let the Head Coach make some big boy Head Coaching decisions and Bo needs to sack up and make the decisions that he sees fit for his program.

If it is because of the media and fan treatment I say “this ain’t intramurals brother”. Nut up and be a big boy and handle the crap that comes with the job. He makes over $2,000,000 a year he should have a little thicker skin.

If it isn’t true and he hasn’t talked to them I say great and bring on the talk about the bowl game.

Good post, newearth. I don't agree with everything, but you hit a lot of nails right on their heads.

Bo needs to hold himself to the same standards to which he holds others. His stance on recruits taking visits to other schools after committing to Nebraska is a good comparator. If he holds them to such a standard, he ought to hold himself to the same standard. It's possible he is, and this is all just a bunk rumor, but it's also possible that he's talking to Miami, and that doesn't jive with his stance on the status of committed recruits.

Per Ubben twitter...

Bo Pelini releases statement: The reports that I am preparing to interview at the University of Miami are false." Says no more comment.

This also from Schick and Nick's Facebook....

Statement from Tom Osborne: “Bo has done an excellent job of leading our football program at Nebraska over the past three years. We’re looking forward to having Bo and our coaching staff lead our team in the Holiday Bowl and as we transition into the Big Ten next year.”

http://twitter.com/davidubben

• Fire 2

If his ego is that fragile, he'll fit in quite well at Miami.

:lol:

Perfect fit!

I see what you're saying, though. And I don't think he feels unappreciated. I misspoke. But potentially underappreciated, considering the state of this program before he got here compared to where we are currently under his tutelage. And considering the fact that Beebe did nothing to dispel the perception that the Big 12 was anti-Nebraska, I wouldn't be surprised if he did feel let down by the Nebraska Chancellor and AD...the Chancellor in particular. Fragile ego or not, I hated Pearlman's sanctimonious response to that prison assault style game at College Station.