Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

What rumors are you talking about? Let's be clear that rumors and reports are different things, though both have the potential for being wrong. Reports are done by reputable journalists (insert ESPN slam here) that are running with their story because multiple sources close to the situation are telling them something, not because of some message board poster's uncle who washes the teams uniforms. Bo said he doesn't comment on rumors and innuendo, but these are legitimate reports that he has discussed the job with the Miami AD and has even displayed interest in it. I really don't think it's insecure or unreasonable to hold a discussion of these reports and the fact that Bo refuses to refute them. I'm not saying the sky is falling at all, but let's not act like this is the same thing as some anonymous poster starting a rumor. This is a real sports news story that merits discussion.

:laughpound

You're funny. "Real" news story? C'mon! There are two dozen of these "stories" every year when coaches get fired. Each of them cite Coach A, Coach B, Coach C, and various "unnamed sources" that drive readers to websites or TV shows, nothing more. In the end some coach gets hired, and the other five mentioned were never really actively part of the story... but they sold newspapers, they put eyeballs on TV ads, and they put clicks on websites.

Get real. This is as much a "real" news story as anything I Bleed Red ever posted.

Seriously? Okay, I'll explain the difference between rumor and a legitimate news report. A rumor is something that has no real sources close to the story behind it and, as a result, no real reporters like Sipple go on record with it. A report, however, is based on multiple sources close to the situation, which is why sports reporters (like those who write for the Miami Herald) are willing to go on record with those stories. Just because every report does not end up being accurate does not mean that rumor and journalistic reporting are the same thing. I thought this was a pretty basic thing that everyone knew, but maybe our new message board culture doesn't get this distinction.

You're absolutely correct - I don't think you get this distinction. Even "real" sports reporters aren't above driving traffic to their newspaper/website/TV show by essentially fabricating a story based on unnamed sources. Your whole contention is that, because a "real" newspaper is reporting this, that it must be real. Think again. Those "unnamed sources" could just as easily be the bullpen where the sports team at the Miami Herald sat around tossing out names for new coaches.

Not everything you read in the newspaper is real, or based on facts. Newspapers are businesses that need readers, and they'll get them however they can. I can't believe people still don't get this.

If this is true and he did talk to Miami like was reported on the morning news then Bo can leave IMO. If you don’t want to be here then get out. This isn’t like an assistant coach talking to another school about a better position then the one they currently hold. This is a Head Coach at a Top 20 program talking to the A.D. of a school that isn’t ranked and is in turmoil.

If it is because he got publicly reprimanded by Pearlman I say, stop acting like a moron on the sidelines and that would stop your boss from publicly reprimanding you.

If it is because he wants to fire Watson and T.O. won’t let him I say T.O. needs to stick to being an A.D. and let the Head Coach make some big boy Head Coaching decisions and Bo needs to sack up and make the decisions that he sees fit for his program.

If it is because of the media and fan treatment I say “this ain’t intramurals brother”. Nut up and be a big boy and handle the crap that comes with the job. He makes over $2,000,000 a year he should have a little thicker skin.

If it isn’t true and he hasn’t talked to them I say great and bring on the talk about the bowl game.

• Fire 3
What rumors are you talking about? Let's be clear that rumors and reports are different things, though both have the potential for being wrong. Reports are done by reputable journalists (insert ESPN slam here) that are running with their story because multiple sources close to the situation are telling them something, not because of some message board poster's uncle who washes the teams uniforms. Bo said he doesn't comment on rumors and innuendo, but these are legitimate reports that he has discussed the job with the Miami AD and has even displayed interest in it. I really don't think it's insecure or unreasonable to hold a discussion of these reports and the fact that Bo refuses to refute them. I'm not saying the sky is falling at all, but let's not act like this is the same thing as some anonymous poster starting a rumor. This is a real sports news story that merits discussion.

You're funny. "Real" news story? C'mon! There are two dozen of these "stories" every year when coaches get fired. Each of them cite Coach A, Coach B, Coach C, and various "unnamed sources" that drive readers to websites or TV shows, nothing more. In the end some coach gets hired, and the other five mentioned were never really actively part of the story... but they sold newspapers, they put eyeballs on TV ads, and they put clicks on websites.

Get real. This is as much a "real" news story as anything I Bleed Red ever posted.

Seriously? Okay, I'll explain the difference between rumor and a legitimate news report. A rumor is something that has no real sources close to the story behind it and, as a result, no real reporters like Sipple go on record with it. A report, however, is based on multiple sources close to the situation, which is why sports reporters (like those who write for the Miami Herald) are willing to go on record with those stories. Just because every report does not end up being accurate does not mean that rumor and journalistic reporting are the same thing. I thought this was a pretty basic thing that everyone knew, but maybe our new message board culture doesn't get this distinction.

You're absolutely correct - I don't think you get this distinction. Even "real" sports reporters aren't above driving traffic to their newspaper/website/TV show by essentially fabricating a story based on unnamed sources. Your whole contention is that, because a "real" newspaper is reporting this, that it must be real. Think again. Those "unnamed sources" could just as easily be the bullpen where the sports team at the Miami Herald sat around tossing out names for new coaches.

Not everything you read in the newspaper is real, or based on facts. Newspapers are businesses that need readers, and they'll get them however they can. I can't believe people still don't get this.

It's actually really frustrating, all across the board. I think you yourself mentioned this earlier in this thread knapplc, but the quality and purity of information being distributed by all forms of news outlets has been severely diminished over the last ten to fifteen years. This is what happens when all media is basically owned by six companies. Six!

Those companies did not get into the information business with the intent of spreading knowledge and truth. This isn't a cynical observation; it's a statement of fact. You ever notice how there is almost never any good news? That's because you don't get any ratings by saying, "Eh, things are pretty much normal." No...you've gotta ratchet up that fear, baby! Swine Flu! We're all dead! Pelini...interviewing with Il Maroon Jihad out of the United Arab Emirates? Coming up at six!

I think it's funny some blow hards keeps showing up to reprimand those who have posted on this thread.

Yes, it's 8 pages (congrats on your counting abilities).

Yes, it is just rumor and gossip at this point.

But it's rumor and gossip being speculated on by everyone from ESPN, to the omaha world herald. It's being talked about from coast to coast on sports radio and college football shows.

But, how dare a bunch of Husker fans discuss it on a husker message board where 90% of the topics consist of fans responding to articles and news surrounding the team. Shocking behavior by us all indeed.

• Fire 1

I think it's funny some blow hards keeps showing up to reprimand those who have posted on this thread.

Yes, it's 8 pages (congrats on your counting abilities).

Yes, it is just rumor and gossip at this point.

But it's rumor and gossip being speculated on by everyone from ESPN, to the omaha world herald. It's being talked about from coast to coast on sports radio and college football shows.

But, how dare a bunch of Husker fans discuss it on a husker message board where 90% of the topics consist of fans responding to articles and news surrounding the team. Shocking behavior by us all indeed.

This post reminded me of that old George Carlin bit, where everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac. Or a blowhard, maybe. ;)

Fabricating is an awful strong word. Reporters develop trusted sources over the years, when they get information that matches from two of those sources it's pretty safe to run the article. Keep in mind that just because something is true at one point in time, doesn't always mean that it would be true forever.

If this is true and he did talk to Miami like was reported on the morning news then Bo can leave IMO. If you don’t want to be here then get out. This isn’t like an assistant coach talking to another school about a better position then the one they currently hold. This is a Head Coach at a Top 20 program talking to the A.D. of a school that isn’t ranked and is in turmoil.

If it is because he got publicly reprimanded by Pearlman I say, stop acting like a moron on the sidelines and that would stop your boss from publicly reprimanding you.

If it is because he wants to fire Watson and T.O. won’t let him I say T.O. needs to stick to being an A.D. and let the Head Coach make some big boy Head Coaching decisions and Bo needs to sack up and make the decisions that he sees fit for his program.

If it is because of the media and fan treatment I say “this ain’t intramurals brother”. Nut up and be a big boy and handle the crap that comes with the job. He makes over $2,000,000 a year he should have a little thicker skin.

If it isn’t true and he hasn’t talked to them I say great and bring on the talk about the bowl game.

Good post newearth......... :thumbs

Your right and Tom Osborne should've packed up his bags when he almost went to Colorado since he was obviously looking elsewhere.

• Fire 1

John Talman's Twitter:

Bo Pelini made one of his first in-home visit stops tonight with Ohio tight end prospect Darien Bryant. Commit Ryan Klachko was the first.

LINK

Since he is still going on in-home visits and recruiting for Nebraska that tells me we should have nothing to worry about.

Newearth i dont agree with much of your post at all! You would really tell Bo to "Go ahead and leave" just because he talked to another team? To me thats very foolish thing to think or say, after all hes done form this program. i also dont really blame him for looking. He has options, and if he doesnt like getting scolded, or over-ruled on staff changes, or whatever, hes gonna look.Especially when he can make the same or more money.Miami isnt that bad of a job either and they wouldnt be non-contenders for long with him there.I think people need to get over the yelling thing too. Watch any major ncca football coach they will all have yelling fits from time to time .Not that big of deal IMO.If he leaves, for whatever reason it will be a very bad thing for this program!