Huskers and Adidas?

Mosskid84

My two cents:

Both companies are about as equal, or close enough to it where discussion on the matter is based entirely on opinion and not at all on fact, as far as quality of product goes. I've owned tons of adidas and nike apparel in my life, from shoes to shorts to pants to shirts, and if i didn't pay attention to the logo on what i was wearing i couldn't tell the difference (although nike shox are the most comfortable tennis shoes i've ever worn). with that being said, adidas has a lot more to offer the university itself, because of the following reason.

a) Adidas gives more money to non-revenue sports-----something that a self-sastaining budget needs.

B) Adidas won't just sponsor everybody....they go after a certain group (and want to keep it that way):

Wisc

NU

Michigan

UCLA

Texas A&M (except track)

Kansas

Notre Dame

Louisville

Tennesse

Miss State

For the most part with Adidas its a all or nothing. At time Nike will just sponsor a certain sports---Florida does this for baseball and volleyball.

The only school that I can think of that was Adidas and switched back to Nike was Arkansas.

Yes, I believe that Nike give more gear to the athletes, but Adidas treats the non-revenue athletes (like I was) better. There is plenty of Adidas Nebraska gear (and Nike Nebraska gear for that matter).

This is a big factor. Furthermore, Adidas has a lot less to offer us as fans, or consumers. Who cares? It's not about us, it's about the school. Adidas has treated our school very well, not only in revenue but also in respect and loyalty.

Lastly, I try to refrain from buying anything from either company any more, as a consumer and fan of Nebraska athletics, because both have their hands pretty dirty as far as shady labor standards and practices go. Is there any supplier that isn't this way, though? I doubt Under Armour would be any different, in fact I would expect they would be worse than anyone, with their obsessive branding being based entirely on being cool, hip and current. I just think Adidas is the lesser of two evils, for the school and the student athletes.

That makes sense.

But I worry about the rabbit hole. I'd guess Ohio States fanbase felt the same way most of us do. And maybe LSU's. Who knows. You start working with the devil, and before you know it, he's found a way to get you to do what he wants.

Its a glove here. A helmet there. Then a whole new uniform for one game. Then youre Oregon where this all started and they havent worn the same uniform once the entire season.

What exactly is uniform about that? Defeats the purpose, doesnt it?

All chasing that paper trail. Im not naive. I believe we'll see the day where Nebraska has an alternate uni. But I dont have to like it.

Well, if you look at Ohio State's PC jerseys from 09 and 10, both of those were modeled after throwbacks. They were pretty conservative in their choices. Even Alabama had a PC jersey this year and the only change was a "subliminal" houndstooth pattern in the numbers (which you could barely see) and an American flag patch on the sleeves. Having the possibility of the Huskers using their 1962 throwback uniforms from time to time wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion.

Oregon chooses to be Oregon and Nebraska can choose to be Nebraska.

That makes sense.

But I worry about the rabbit hole. I'd guess Ohio States fanbase felt the same way most of us do. And maybe LSU's. Who knows. You start working with the devil, and before you know it, he's found a way to get you to do what he wants.

Its a glove here. A helmet there. Then a whole new uniform for one game. Then youre Oregon where this all started and they havent worn the same uniform once the entire season.

What exactly is uniform about that? Defeats the purpose, doesnt it?

All chasing that paper trail. Im not naive. I believe we'll see the day where Nebraska has an alternate uni. But I dont have to like it.

Well, if you look at Ohio State's PC jerseys from 09 and 10, both of those were modeled after throwbacks. They were pretty conservative in their choices. Even Alabama had a PC jersey this year and the only change was a "subliminal" houndstooth pattern in the numbers (which you could barely see) and an American flag patch on the sleeves. Having the possibility of the Huskers using their 1962 throwback uniforms from time to time wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion.

Oregon chooses to be Oregon and Nebraska can choose to be Nebraska.

this is exactly the crap im talking about. completely unacceptable.

Nike has a history of very scummy labor-practices(cleaned their act some when called-out but you show your true colors when nobody is watching), I'd prefer not to have the huskers associate with them. I prefer we stay with Adidas.

To be fair Adidas and Nike both outsource to sweat shops...it's all produced in Asia.

With HDTV it's understandable why so many teams are moving towards flashier apparel. Our jerseys and pants look way too much like Wisconsin's so if you're not into vanity there's a legitimate reason for a redesign. It doesn't have be radical or anything like the Oregon costumes, just enough to look different from Wisconsin and a more contemporary.

Nike has a history of very scummy labor-practices(cleaned their act some when called-out but you show your true colors when nobody is watching), I'd prefer not to have the huskers associate with them. I prefer we stay with Adidas.

To be fair Adidas and Nike both outsource to sweat shops...it's all produced in Asia.

With HDTV it's understandable why so many teams are moving towards flashier apparel. Our jerseys and pants look way too much like Wisconsin's so if you're not into vanity there's a legitimate reason for a redesign. It doesn't have be radical or anything like the Oregon costumes, just enough to look different from Wisconsin and a more contemporary.

that'll be for wisconsin to change if anyone is gonna do it. Love the place, sister lives and goes to school there and such, it will for sure be the first away game i attend, but honestly....we're the big swingin dick when it boils down to it, first year in the conference and all. They already have the modern W on the helmets. You look down the line at their staff and AD and theyre like Nebraska, North. Wannabe Division. Here's to Bo and Co showing them the way.

Nike would be nice, and you know Tom would say the only alternate jerseys we would wear would be throwbacks... which are awesome when done by Nike.

Also, of the past 13 BCS national championship games, only ONE team has won that has not been sponsored by Nike (Tennessee in 1998) and they were the ONLY team not sponsored by Nike to even APPEAR in the game until this year with Auburn (Under Armor). Statistically, Nike wins championships.

Wow, that Nike marketing department brainwashing really worked on you.

That's like saying Tiger Woods won championships because he was playing with Nike gear or Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball player ever because of his Air Jordans. Both of those men were at the top of their game simply because they were supreme athletes, had enormous god-given talent, and put in years of hard work.

That's where Nike's branding comes in. Nike sponsors teams and individuals around the world that play for championships with the hope that it gives you "The wannabe athlete" (well actually not you so much as the 3rd-12th graders cause they grow out of their $100+ sneakers every few months) the impression that Nike gear will help you run faster, jump higher, and play at a championship level. They want you to associate the swoosh with champions and obviously they succeeded by paying huge endorsement deals with big stars and sponsoring teams. Their gear is no better then most other big sporting goods manufacturers and honestly isn't even their gear past the design, they simply outsource the manufacture of most of it to southeast Asia then sell it here for way more then its worth.

It doesn't make a difference who sponsors the team as long as the gear isn't falling apart on the field. It's a business decision. Someone will because they want to be the sponsor when the team wins championships. So everyone watching will subconsciously think the same way as miamihrrcns2001 and associate their products with champions, want to be a champion, and buy their stuff.

• Fire 2

Here's my problem with the whole Oregon being in bed with Nike thing. You get Oregon dressing up in all these different outfits and for a lot of HS type kids DIG that type of stuff. I can just see young kids in all their vanity digging the idea of getting to put on all these cool uniforms on TV all the time. I think there's a recruiting edge there. You can't really track that, but I think it's there. I don't want NU to change uni's but I DO think there's a group of kids who want to go to schools like Oregon just for the perception of having cool gear.

If a kid chooses to go to Oregon so he can be dressed like a retarded clown, we do not need him.

Does not say much for history and tradition being a sales factor I guess.

99% of the country could not tell you they were watching Oregon most of the time. Absolute crappiest looking uniforms in college football to me. They do not promote Oregon, they promote Nike.

• Fire 1

I am actually more upset with the clowns that have them even in the game. They played no one with a pulse other than Stanford who played the exact same flock of losers.

I think Auburn will hang 50 on them. I hate to think that as I do not want to hear we are the SEC for another year.

It'll definitely be an interesting game to watch, that's for sure. I was really impressed when I saw Oregon play (except for the ... feathers? on their uniforms)... their pacing makes them very deceptive. It's like they lul their opponents into a particular rhythm and then suddenly break that rhythm and speed up their playing considerably. it's not just that they're fast, it's that they are irregularly and unpredictably fast. If they were just fast, a team could get into their speed, but they start off slower and then keep building, then slow back down again, and build and build until they're suddenly up by 21 points.

I am actually more upset with the clowns that have them even in the game. They played no one with a pulse other than Stanford who played the exact same flock of losers.

I think Auburn will hang 50 on them. I hate to think that as I do not want to hear we are the SEC for another year.

Yeah, and they KILLED all those teams without pulses. Who would you put over them? Wisconsin or Ohio State? They each lost a game, and each struggled with at least one of those "without a pulse" teams.

Wisconsin for sure, even TCU as far as I am concerned.

Oregon was lucky at California to.

They truly played no one. They beat Washington at their house, with Locker out, by less than we did. They are the media darlings replacing SC as far as I am concerned. I do not think anyone in the Pac10 this year is that great. I doubt Oregon or Stanford would have the records they have if they played in any other major conference.

There offensive gimmick is basiclly cheating as far as I am concerned. But I know it is legal. It is like a street fight where one guy gets hit before he expects anything. Legal, just not fair. My guess is they will look at it, but doubt it changes. Oklahoma uses it some to.

I think it will be a Auburn runaway. This will be the largest spread in awhile in the NC game.

They are too small to play with a very fast SEC defense or talented offense. I do not think the Auburn kids will run out of juice.

In honesty I hope I am totally wrong. Listening to the SEC/Finebuam idiots rant about 5 years is more than I can bear.