Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

Zoogies, you think that if we brought in an OC in time to be here by spring practice with a background in the zone read and didn't have to have an overhaul on offense you think that we would take huge step back or be in bad shape at qb? Watson is basically learning on the job right now in regards to the zone read concept that our offense is based around. Bottom line is that he's a West Coast OC trying to fit the role as a zone read OC.

I disagree with the Chatelain article being written to blast Bo however. That article was basically directed solely at Watson. I remember Shatel's article that came out the same day basically stating the very same things.

Is this the article we are talking about by the way? If so...

Nope. That's not the article I was referring to.

It was this one. The one I mentioned him writing just a few weeks ago. Dec 6th to be exact:

Chatelain: Watson's offense fails at critical moments Link: OWH Article

No. People will quiet down after a performance like Missouri, or OK State, or Colorado, or Kansas State, or Washington, or Arizona, but then Oklahoma happens and it's like it's been SDSU all year. If you want the biggest storyline for this year's offense all you need to do is draw a line after Missouri and look at before and after, when our top two QBs got hurt.

Guess what the teams that are bolded have in common??????? They are all terrible defenses, with the exception being Mizzou which average at best. that was basically a first quarter explosion. Washington is rated 98th in total defense, Kstate is some where in 100ths, Ok State is around 80th. My biggest problem is not against the whole season its when we play a team that has a defense and faster more physical players. Watson has nothing go with other than the zone read. Thats my only problem with Watson. We cant do anything offensively against good all around teams.

I will say yet again that health is the real common denominator in the struggles.

We put 454 on Missouri, but you want to discount that because of the timing of the yards? We went into garbage time by the 3rd quarter, after Helu's score, and didn't try anything other than to punt and hold on for the win. Arizona was not a terrible defense either.

Lee's excuse was he got injured, pretty early on in the year. Ark. State, IIRC. Not that the kid ever used that as an excuse. Sorry - we are not in a spot, roster wise, to even compare with these other teams you are bringing up. It is a pipe dream to expect anything different next year. If Watson goes, we are going to be in bad shape at QB once again.

What????????? Where am I comparing teams that Im bringing up. Im just saying that the teams mention were not very good at defense, thats was why offense rack up a million yards against them.

I wasnt discounting the Mizzou win.... all I said it was basically a 1st quarter explosion. Even before Martinez got hurt our offense was struggling to move the ball against Mizzou in the 2nd quarter. Before Helu's score it was 24-14, mizzou had momentum and quite frankly I think everybody I was sitting around was nervous about blowing this one. I dont think we were real concerned about punting and trying hold on to the win at that point in the 3rd quarter before Helu's score. Yes we ran the ball, but it doesnt matter if we dont get first downs and move chains. We did an awesome job of that in the 4th quarter.

What????????? Where am I comparing teams that Im bringing up. Im just saying that the teams mention were not very good at defense, thats was why offense rack up a million yards against them.

I'm talking about USC with Barkley, Texas with McCoy, etc. I guess one thing you got to wonder is if the WCO principles are right for us. Legit question, but I don't think it's a simple answer either way.

The story on the Missouri game as I recall: we ran it right at them. Taylor went COLD in the 2nd quarter, as he's been prone to be streaky. He had some serious questionable play there. Then he got hurt. Lee came in the game in the 3rd quarter. He flunked the first drive. Helu scored on the 2nd play or something of the 2nd drive. And after that, Bo decided we put 31 on Missouri and they weren't catching up. We shut it down on offense after 2 drives in the 3rd quarter.

Zoogies, you think that if we brought in an OC in time to be here by spring practice with a background in the zone read and didn't have to have an overhaul on offense you think that we would take huge step back or be in bad shape at qb? Watson is basically learning on the job right now in regards to the zone read concept that our offense is based around. Bottom line is that he's a West Coast OC trying to fit the role as a zone read OC.

Yeah, we would be, just by the depth chart we would have in that scenario. I would be very happy to land a good OC with a solid background, but the QBs he will be getting in his first year...well, he's gonna have his work cut out. Not sure Green would stick around if Watson left. Not sure Taylor will stick around if Brion emerges. Even if he does, it's Taylor & Brion. Very young, not a lot of bodies. You want to redshirt Jamal ideally.

Yeah, we would be, just by the depth chart we would have in that scenario. I would be very happy to land a good OC with a solid background, but the QBs he will be getting in his first year...well, he's gonna have his work cut out. Not sure Green would stick around if Watson left. Not sure Taylor will stick around if Brion emerges. Even if he does, it's Taylor & Brion. Very young, not a lot of bodies. You want to redshirt Jamal ideally.

Where on earth is this coming from? Who says Cody Green would leave just because of Shawn Watson? And why are people still talking about Brion Carnes? I understand the kid might be good, but he's not going to touch the starting spot until Taylor leaves or gets hurt.

Where on earth is this coming from? Who says Cody Green would leave just because of Shawn Watson? And why are people still talking about Brion Carnes? I understand the kid might be good, but he's not going to touch the starting spot until Taylor leaves or gets hurt.

I dont get either why everybody is so high on Carnes who hasnt even taken a snap in practice with this offense(Im assuming). Jeez atleast wait till the spring game against a defense before we make a judgement on a kid.

• Fire 1

I dont get either why everybody is so high on Carnes who hasnt even taken a snap in practice with this offense(Im assuming). Jeez atleast wait till the spring game against a defense before we make a judgement on a kid.

now you know where these posts come from, Monday morning qbs, pure speculation based on nothing.

Based on nothing?....more like based on what you hear about a guy's skillset. You can disagree or whatever, but it's not based on nothing.

For example:

Cody Green, 4 star QB and all. Read about his recruiting and you would know his raw background in passing. For some reason, nobody expected him to be a raw thrower even in his first year.

Taylor Martinez, elite big play explosion, completely raw in a lot of QB aspects as well as passing/mechanics. He's come a ways, certainly, but again people do not realize this for some reason and keep calling for an injured Taylor to pass on the run on rollouts, when his mechanics even when healthy and sitting back in the pocket are as formative in development as they are.

Brion came here touted as the 2nd best passer on the team already, can make some big time throws and brings a lot of running threat with him, though he may not be as fast as Taylor. It's just why people are excited about him and why he *could* give Taylor a run for the money. Taylor has a year under his belt and obviously the leg up in terms of time, but it isn't an advantage of several years and Brion has the leg up, or rather arm up, in passing. Of course who knows how that will all transpire on the field - I am just saying it should be a good competition.

I dont get either why everybody is so high on Carnes who hasnt even taken a snap in practice with this offense(Im assuming).

????? Odd assumption. (Granted, unless you mean with the 1st team. Don't think he has done that, not sure) Hard to give our defense fits in practice if he doesn't even take practice snaps.

Kinda pointless to try to ignore reports about what a player's strengths and weaknesses are IMO.

Based on nothing?....more like based on what you hear about a guy's skillset. You can disagree or whatever, but it's not based on nothing.

For example:

Cody Green, 4 star QB and all. Read about his recruiting and you would know his raw background in passing. For some reason, nobody expected him to be a raw thrower even in his first year.

Taylor Martinez, elite big play explosion, completely raw in a lot of QB aspects as well as passing/mechanics. He's come a ways, certainly, but again people do not realize this for some reason and keep calling for an injured Taylor to pass on the run on rollouts, when his mechanics even when healthy and sitting back in the pocket are as formative in development as they are.

Brion came here touted as the 2nd best passer on the team already, can make some big time throws and brings a lot of running threat with him, though he may not be as fast as Taylor. It's just why people are excited about him and why he *could* give Taylor a run for the money. Taylor has a year under his belt and obviously the leg up in terms of time, but it isn't an advantage of several years and Brion has the leg up, or rather arm up, in passing. Of course who knows how that will all transpire on the field - I am just saying it should be a good competition.

I dont get either why everybody is so high on Carnes who hasnt even taken a snap in practice with this offense(Im assuming).

????? Odd assumption. (Granted, unless you mean with the 1st team. Don't think he has done that, not sure) Hard to give our defense fits in practice if he doesn't even take practice snaps.

Kinda pointless to try to ignore reports about what a player's strengths and weaknesses are IMO.

Yes I meant the first team.

I understand that Wats has been here for a while and understands his qb's skill sets but I still don't understand how you think that if Wats is here then our qb situation is better than if we have a guy in here who's background is in the zone read. I don't think that if Wats leaves Cody would leave mainly bc if I were in that position with a new set of eyes coming in, I would think that it's a brand new start and chance to impress the coaches. Possibly the year after though if he's still down on the depth chart.

We will still have Taylor, Carnes, Kellog (if you want to count him), Cody, and Turner for spring ball. Yes it would be ideal to redshirt Turner, but for practice/competition purposes the qb position is in decent shape even without Cody. If we can get a OC with the zone read background I don't think we pass or don't go after them bc we might lose our 2nd string qb.

I understand that Wats has been here for a while and understands his qb's skill sets but I still don't understand how you think that if Wats is here then our qb situation is better than if we have a guy in here who's background is in the zone read. I don't think that if Wats leaves Cody would leave mainly bc if I were in that position with a new set of eyes coming in, I would think that it's a brand new start and chance to impress the coaches. Possibly the year after though if he's still down on the depth chart.

We will still have Taylor, Carnes, Kellog (if you want to count him), Cody, and Turner for spring ball. Yes it would be ideal to redshirt Turner, but for practice/competition purposes the qb position is in decent shape even without Cody. If we can get a OC with the zone read background I don't think we pass or don't go after them bc we might lose our 2nd string qb.

Very good point. A new coach comes a player looks at it as making a first impression and fresh start. Im sure Green and the others would embrace and make the competition better.