Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

No need for these all these 'well-wishing' comments. I think it's pretty clear now that Watson is doing everything he can to leave this offseason. Can't say I blame him. He is going to find something eventually. You guys are very likely going to get your wish. Careful what you wish for!

When he goes, #1 on the agenda will be to find a quality QB coach to replace him. That will be tough, despite what anyone may want to believe. Innovative coordinators and playcallers are not in short supply, especially on the internet, so that's something I am less worried about :)

Good point Zoogies, if not this year he will be gone after next year, the way the fan base acts over the coordinators is insane, wanting to fire mcbride, now watson. Watson simply can't win no matter what he calls even when he puts up 20 aginst a good defense in OU he gets blamed. If I were him I would want out too.

All he had to do was get our kicker on the field ONCE in the 2nd half, and we at least get to overtime.

No need for these all these 'well-wishing' comments. I think it's pretty clear now that Watson is doing everything he can to leave this offseason. Can't say I blame him. He is going to find something eventually. You guys are very likely going to get your wish. Careful what you wish for!

When he goes, #1 on the agenda will be to find a quality QB coach to replace him. That will be tough, despite what anyone may want to believe. Innovative coordinators and playcallers are not in short supply, especially on the internet, so that's something I am less worried about :)

Im pretty sure your high on shrooms. Many, many better qb coaches out there than watson(eg Ganz) and alot of better OCs than him out there, me included. I made it by initial interviews so just couple steps away from semi's for OC. Please pray and keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

Im pretty sure your high on shrooms. Many, many better qb coaches out there than watson(eg Ganz) and alot of better OCs than him out there, me included. I made it by initial interviews so just couple steps away from semi's for OC. Please pray and keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

Um... are you kidding me? What has Ganz ever done to prove he's a better QB coach than Wats? Sorry, whether or not you like Watson the OC, he is a helluva QB coach.

Good point Zoogies, if not this year he will be gone after next year, the way the fan base acts over the coordinators is insane, wanting to fire mcbride, now watson. Watson simply can't win no matter what he calls even when he puts up 20 aginst a good defense in OU he gets blamed. If I were him I would want out too.

Yeah, Watson didnt put up 20 on OU. Helu's long run and Osborne's INT did. I'll give Watson credit for 6. That game was a joke and im not backing off of it. Most perfect example in the history of athletic scheming of going away from what's working to everything that isnt.

In over his head as OC in a BCS division? Ha!, although probably 90% of other OCs who aren't get the same treatment any time they have a single bad game, such as Tom Wilson of OU last year, or Greg Davis at Texas, or a litany of other guys other than some elite buzz names like Chip Kelley, Dana Holgorsen, or Mike Leach.

Maybe wholesale change is the only thing to get this offensive unit out of its funk, but we are seriously getting carried away with view on Watson.

I have faith in Bo, but the next guy has a much better chance of being in over his head, depending on how much we are willing to spend on him. And I think Husker fans are going to realize soon enough that there does not exist a single good playcaller in the world unless they coach a different team.

In over his head as OC in a BCS division? Ha!, although probably 90% of other OCs who aren't get the same treatment any time they have a single bad game, such as Tom Wilson of OU last year, or Greg Davis at Texas, or a litany of other guys other than some elite buzz names like Chip Kelley, Dana Holgorsen, or Mike Leach.

Maybe wholesale change is the only thing to get this offensive unit out of its funk, but we are seriously getting carried away with view on Watson.

I have faith in Bo, but the next guy has a much better chance of being in over his head, depending on how much we are willing to spend on him. And I think Husker fans are going to realize soon enough that there does not exist a single good playcaller in the world unless they coach a different team.

I agree. But wholesale changes aren't likely. Our offense sucked this year against every good defense we played. No question about that. It seems like everybody points a finger at Watson. But if we’re going to point fingers I don’t think Watson should be the only one singled out. How many TD passes did we drop against the Whorns? Is Wats responsible for making sure our WRs and RBs can catch a ball? That cost us a game. How many series this year ended due to the O-line jumping offsides or holding? Is Wats responsible for that? Our freshman phenom QB was injured the last third of the season because our undersized walk-on center got blasted five yards off the line and stepped on T-Mart’s ankle. Is Wats responsible for that? When and if Watson takes a HC job somewhere else we SHOULD use that opportunity to jettison a couple of the offensive position coaches who basically suck. The problem is, some of the offensive position coaches are wired tightly into the system. No way they get canned regardless of how deserving they are. It would fly in the face of tradition.

Our freshman phenom QB was injured the last third of the season because our undersized walk-on center got blasted five yards off the line and stepped on T-Mart's ankle. Is Wats responsible for that?

Small correction here. Martinez' original ankle injury was against Mizzou, when he took a helmet hit to the ankle. The center did get blown up in the aTm game, but Martinez came back against aTm, didn't he?

Riddle me this though: How is it that Rex Burkhead can run the read option effectively against OU and other good defenses, but Martinez can't. What is it that the good defenses do, and also South Dakota State did, that make Martinez ineffective, but Burkhead can run the read option and gain yards? And finally, why is it that the guy who should know the answer, Shawn Watson, doesn't seem to be able to figure that out?

Our freshman phenom QB was injured the last third of the season because our undersized walk-on center got blasted five yards off the line and stepped on T-Mart's ankle. Is Wats responsible for that?

Small correction here. Martinez' original ankle injury was against Mizzou, when he took a helmet hit to the ankle. The center did get blown up in the aTm game, but Martinez came back against aTm, didn't he?

Riddle me this though: How is it that Rex Burkhead can run the read option effectively against OU and other good defenses, but Martinez can't. What is it that the good defenses do, and also South Dakota State did, that make Martinez ineffective, but Burkhead can run the read option and gain yards? And finally, why is it that the guy who should know the answer, Shawn Watson, doesn't seem to be able to figure that out?

My thought is that teams that play assigment discipline defense cant stop it anytime, anywhere. The defenses are stopping Martinez by containing outside in. If you notice on 85% or Martinez runs he doesnt cut back inside and try go get 5 yards, he just tries to out run them. That is part of the problem. For defenses its not really rocket science.... its about beating Martinez to the corner. Another problem, watson is 2 predictable at his formation alignment and play calling, defenses know whats coming everytime now, its just a matter of playing their assignments. This is why we struggle against teams with a somewhat good defense and why are successful with teams that are terrible defensively.

For burkhead part how many times do you see a zone read with martinez up the middle...... NEVER. Thats why teams are having a little trouble stopping it, right now. Give it time though teams will figure it out and it will to be stopped, just like the zone read with Martinez.

That's easy. Burkhead makes the reads well. Taylor doesn't to the point that they sometimes have to take out the 'read' component. So many broken plays that went for losses were because of the wrong read. But at the same time it's Taylor's go-to strength, maddeningly enough. The one thing said at the beginning of the year consistently about Taylor? He is a streaky player who will go cold at times, but on a hot streak he will rip off some unbelievable big plays on the ground. That was what we gambled on building the offense around.

When your QB really does only a few things well and all of them are out as options, you are just screwed to begin with. Maybe running the zone read on every single play with Burkhead out of the Wildcat was going to be a viable option, or maybe that would have started to be predictable after a while. I don't know. huskerscott, we can go back to highlights but I think you are wrong that Martinez doesn't run the zone read up the middle at times. In fact, those 4-yard losses that Helu had, were up the middle for Taylor if he kept it. I also didn't realize when we wanted our offense to be rocket science all of a sudden? I thought a predictable ground game was the way to go ;) In fact I thought Watson's problem was that he was too complex in his schemes.

When and if Watson takes a HC job somewhere else we SHOULD use that opportunity to jettison a couple of the offensive position coaches who basically suck. The problem is, some of the offensive position coaches are wired tightly into the system. No way they get canned regardless of how deserving they are. It would fly in the face of tradition.

I definitely agree with this. I think Gilmore would go with Watson though, which is a plus for us. I think Shawn is a good coordinator and playcaller and it wouldn't be impossible to at least break even at that spot if we are willing to go out and get a guy. So if we are able to break even there, almost certainly upgrade at WR, and bring in an OL guy to replace Barney, I think we should be pretty good. QB coaching will be the biggest question mark. I think you want to keep guys like Beck or Ron Brown. I suppose it would not be hard to at least break even there too with a change, but they don't deserve to be canned. That and I would like to continue recruiting Texas.

Personally I knew Watson was a joke back in 2008. 2009 solidified it even moreso.

The Chatelain article that came out about 3 weeks ago basically stated that Nebraska has had the athletes on offense the past several years to warrant success. So what gives?

Watson does not know how to utilize what he has in order to be successful. Lucky for him even in 2008 that Sam Keller got injured as his and Nebraska's savior that year, Joe Ganz who wasn't even the projected started stepped up and singlhandedly revived Nebraska's offense. Joe Ganz. A guy who was straight up overlooked by the staff and most notably overlooked by SHAWN WATSON.

A lot of people look at the bottom line stats, Nebraska's seven losses over the past two seasons, Nebraska averaged only 271 yards and 12 points. In four of those losses, the offense failed to produce a single touchdown.

Shut out the second half of the Oklahoma game. There's more stats out there that shine even more of a light on just how unproductive his offenses have been.

Forget this year, what was your excuse for your offensive guru last year??? 99th in total offense. 99th. You can't sit here and tell me Nebraska didn't have the tools to be better than that both this year and last year. Last year was THE YEAR but...once again...lack of offensive production killed what could have been a National Championship year for the Huskers.

If you have a coach who cannot get the most out of the athletes which is what he was/is hired to do then you stick with that coach? This is what makes Shawn Watson expendable.

Watson can tie his wagon to Taylor Martinez for now and even that is no guarantee. Let's just hope he doesn't get injured again.

suh_fan, I think you are off the mark. One of Shawn's strengths in my opinion is the ability to utilize what he has and play to their strengths. In our case though, Taylor's imagined strengths often careen way off the charts with respect to reality. The result is a very much simplified offense that relies on Taylor's strengths that are considerable, if limited in scope. And then the offense is blamed for being too simple/predictable/reliant on one guy/reliant on the big play.

Ganz wasn't overlooked, he was in a tight race with Keller in 2007 that he lost. Ganz had no physical talent on his side and grew up in the system, which enabled his success. A guy that was made by the staff. If he was ever snubbed, it was most notably by Bill Callahan.

Nebraska did not have the tools last year if you have any idea about the injury situation and the extremely poor depth at QB. A lot of stuff about injuries doesn't get out enough for people to know about them. How many of us knew about Ganz's injury that resulted in some wanting to shut him down in 2008? I definitely did not, until recently.

Bo is the one that has tied his wagon to Taylor Martinez and that can be his undoing, as we all see what happens when Taylor shuts down, as he is liable to do.

Anyway, I know I will not change any minds here.

Everyone has got that Chatelain article COMPLETELY wrong, though, so I will bring this up every time it is brought up. Dirk wrote that article to blast Bo, which is evident from his tweet introducing the article, in which he explicitly said that the loss was Bo's fault.