Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

why is everyone stuck on the damn zone read? what other team is successfully using this as their offensive identity?

Because Oregon is running it. But from what I seen they have other ways of attacking opponents, like passing vertically downfield and alittle bit of screen passes. They're not content to running the zone read every play.

why is everyone stuck on the damn zone read? what other team is successfully using this as their offensive identity?

Because Oregon is running it. But from what I seen they have other ways of attacking opponents, like passing vertically downfield and alittle bit of screen passes. They're not content to running the zone read every play.

with their speed, they can run anything they want....passing vertically is a big part of what they do.

and?........guess it hasn't caught on like the spread quite yet, my point is it is really only effective if you have the right athletes running it.

Yeah, I have no idea why we made the switch midway through fall camp either.

Most disagreed with me at the time.

i will give Wats this much, he saw that TM could run it, except he was not a natural passer which he needed to be as defenses adjusted to us.

and?........guess it hasn't caught on like the spread quite yet, my point is it is really only effective if you have the right athletes running it.

I believe that was part of the problem this year. Why in the heck do switch the style of offense mid way through fall camp.

I believe that was part of the problem this year. Why in the heck do switch the style of offense mid way through fall camp.

It is a mystery! :lol: Fall camp had a few surprises this year.

It is a mystery! :lol: Fall camp had a few surprises this year.

Yes. It still doesnt mean you switch offense a few weeks before the season opener, maybe add a few wringles for Martinez since he was going to be the starter. Still dont agree that he was named full time starter from the first game out.

The same exact things said about Carnes were said about Martinez last year, and I'm sure most(absolutely myself included) said "Doesn't matter, Lee will start." Oops. We shall wait and see...

Lee didn't break virtually every record this school had for freshman QBs.

Considering Lee wasnt here when he was a freshman... Lee was a totally different QB than Martinez.

The same exact things said about Carnes were said about Martinez last year, and I'm sure most(absolutely myself included) said "Doesn't matter, Lee will start." Oops. We shall wait and see...

No, and Carnes doesn't have some of the immaturity issues that have popped up with Martinez. If reports are accurate it sounds like Carnes could step in and do just as much damage with less drama.

Considering Lee wasnt here when he was a freshman... Lee was a totally different QB than Martinez.

Lee's first year as a starter was one of Nebraska's worst offenses since... ever. No offense to Lee, he's a great guy, but that's what happened.

Martinez's first year as a starter had people thinking national championship and heisman before he was injured, and he still made freshman all-america teams.

No, and Carnes doesn't have some of the immaturity issues that have popped up with Martinez. If reports are accurate it sounds like Carnes could step in and do just as much damage with less drama.

As far as I can tell, most of the drama is on the message boards.

• Fire 1

They are just different situations, Martinez/Lee this year and Carnes/Martinez now. Can't really draw that analogy, each is its own individual situation. Carnes has a real battle on his hands in a lot of ways if he wants to overtake Taylor (a largely successful incumbent), but his skillset is such that he does also have the advantage in parts of his game (parts I would consider important). So it should be an exciting fight to watch.

They are just different situations, Martinez/Lee this year and Carnes/Martinez now. Can't really draw that analogy, each is its own individual situation. Carnes has a real battle on his hands in a lot of ways if he wants to overtake Taylor (a largely successful incumbent), but his skillset is such that he does also have the advantage in parts of his game (parts I would consider important). So it should be an exciting fight to watch.

True, it was not the best analogy. I'll just say that from what I've heard, which agrees with what you're saying, Carnes is not to be taken lightly.

As to drama being from message boards, true a lot of BS has been floated, but if the kid would put his cell phone down for a few minutes, none of it would be an issue.

No. People will quiet down after a performance like Missouri, or OK State, or Colorado, or Kansas State, or Washington, or Arizona, but then Oklahoma happens and it's like it's been SDSU all year. If you want the biggest storyline for this year's offense all you need to do is draw a line after Missouri and look at before and after, when our top two QBs got hurt.

Missouri was disappointing as well. After our 24 point burst in the first quarter we had one more big run by helu in the second half and that was it. Maybe I'm insane to complain about 31 points but I thought the offense was rather poor after the 1st quarter...