One thing that eases my mind

I think Eric Martin moving to DE has to do with a different style of defense that Nebraska will play in the Big 10. Not sure how much Peso we will see if any.

We might not have Hagg anymore, but we'll have some versatile guys who could give that peso position some credence. Just ask Pelini...

"Andrew Green is going to figure big into our plans," Pelini said. "Now where that is, I don't know. Right now, he's playing corner. He could fit in at safety. He's big enough to fit enough that nickel spot (owned by Eric Hagg.)"

The Peso is a counter to the Spread Offense. Off the top of my head I don't know how many Big 10 teams play a version of the Spread, but Michigan immediately comes to mind. We may see it come out a few times, but we'll also play more traditional 4-3 defense a lot.

Actually theres quite a few that run spread. Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Ohio State (mixture of spread and traditional sets). I would not be surprised to see Nebraska run the Peso and 4-3 sets about 50/50 next year. IMO.

Wisconsin plays the old smash mouth football with the big running backs and linemen, that was once Nebraska's offense. Will be interesting to see how we do against them. It seemed to me that maybe Bo pulled in the reins a bit, once we got decent lead. Lot of three and outs or one first down and then a punt. Was that by design or just an offense that couldn't change up its plays, when the other team started to adjust to them. The Mizzou, Iowa St and Okl games seemed to me, that we kind of circled the wagons and tried to hold on. Bo built the defense first, to get this program back up and running, I also think he has a big say about what and when the offense will attack, or when to start playing it close to the vest. Is that putting to much on the D?

Bo has the defensive players coming back to keep this program moving forward, even in the Big-10. We lose some top players, but I think we are just going to keep reloading on the D each year.

GBR!!!

I just don't see Bo saying "ok guys we scored enough now get out there and go three and out." I think it was of Watson screwing up drives more than Bo pulling in the reins specially against teams that have run it up on him in the past.

I see losing Gomes and Hagg hurting us the most. Easily. Obviously losing Amukamara is significant as well.

As usual I'm worried about the offense. I feel like it's going to be Groundhog Day next year offensively. We lose two starters on the OL, our best lineman (Ricky Henry) and Keith Williams as well. If Taylor Martinez gets hurt (again) then things could get really interesting. Our we going to zone read ourselves to death again??? Hate to say it but for now the Watson factor has to be taken into consideration also and I don't mean that in a good way.

As for the defense now were going into a year with guys who have good potential but have yet to prove themselves. For now I have no idea how well we'll do next year.

Not worried about our defense. Our offense is another story. I don't want to see our D having to keep us in the game again this year.

100% agree with zero worry about the defense. We've got great coaching there that has been proven over & over.

On offense of course it's the opposite scenario. Let's see who the new OC is and see where we're going....

Losing Hagg will hurt unimaginably, but not losing Dennard is going to be a huge, huge, huuuge boon for us. I would have been incredibly worried if we lost Dennard. Fortunately, looks like it will not happen. Hopefully our two safeties will grow a lot more into their role next year and pick up the slack of breaking in a new corner and peso.

You only need 4 to 5 good DB's and or Safeties to have a good secondary.

Coming back are Dennard, PJ Smith, C. Evans, C Osborne, A. Cassidy. Those are the players returning that got a lot of playing time. I count 5 possible starters if they play the same base defense. 4 or 5 starters if they go to a more traditional 4, 3, 4 look. There are a lot of kids ready to shine.

How about Cooper, C Jackson and others. I have faith that D will not be a problem as long as Bo is here.

The Peso is a counter to the Spread Offense. Off the top of my head I don't know how many Big 10 teams play a version of the Spread, but Michigan immediately comes to mind. We may see it come out a few times, but we'll also play more traditional 4-3 defense a lot.

Actually theres quite a few that run spread. Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Ohio State (mixture of spread and traditional sets). I would not be surprised to see Nebraska run the Peso and 4-3 sets about 50/50 next year. IMO.

Don't forget indiana

Don't forget indiana

bingo, I could not remember the last one. Thanks.

Don't forget indiana

bingo, I could not remember the last one. Thanks.

Haha no problem

Doesn't Penn State run their own version of the spread as well? They gave it some stupid name like the Spread HD.

Yes, they do. It isn't a traditional spread with 4 or 5 wide normally, they use a lot of TE and FB still.

I am happy with what we have on all three levels of the defense for next year. Probable starters as of right now....

DE: Meredith*

DT: Crick*

DT: Steinkuhler*

DE: Williams/Ankrah

LB: David*

LB: Compton*

LB: Fisher

CB: Dennard*

CB: Evans*

SS: Osborne*

FS: Smith*

Peso: Cassidy*

*= started a game in 2010

Look at that...really Fisher could have an asterisk from '09, the amount of experience coming back is unbelievable. I feel great about this defense. The offense should be loaded as well, I like this team better than 2010 actually and the schedule is easier than many of us thought originally.

edit: just remembered Evans started when Dennard missed for injury

Doesn't Penn State run their own version of the spread as well? They gave it some stupid name like the Spread HD.

Yes, they do. It isn't a traditional spread with 4 or 5 wide normally, they use a lot of TE and FB still.

I am happy with what we have on all three levels of the defense for next year. Probable starters as of right now....

DE: Meredith*

DT: Crick*

DT: Steinkuhler*

DE: Williams/Ankrah

LB: David*

LB: Compton*

LB: Fisher

CB: Dennard*

CB: Evans

SS: Osborne*

FS: Smith*

Peso: Cassidy*

*= started a game in 2010

Look at that...really Fisher could have an asterisk from '09, the amount of experience coming back is unbelievable. I feel great about this defense. The offense should be loaded as well, I like this team better than 2010 actually and the schedule is easier than many of us thought originally.

theirs alot of experience coming back. I think this year proved you cant just plug guys in and just press play again. Its gonna take a few games for this group to gel. I think putting Cassidy in the Peso will be good move for when we play teams with the spread. Teams like NW, Michigan and Penn State play to our strength, it makes us put more speed out their. Against teams like Wisconsin and Iowa we are gonna go to the 4-3. Those guys are just to physical.