Next Day Observations (Because you sure didn't want to hear them last night!)

Here are my observations after swallowing the results of the game last night:

1. Nebraska should have never accepted a bowl game against an opponent that we have already thrashed for the following reasons:

It was a slam against Nebraska to put us up against a team with a 6-6 record, one that we had already beat. What would be the motivation for the players to put a lot of effort forward for this game? I have a suspicion that the Big 12 offices had a lot to do with this choice of bowls for Nebraska. Nebraska should have just said thanks, but no thanks. Nebraska could have been viewed as taking the high road by just not taking a bowl game rather than taking this "slam" by the bowl selection committee. Nebraska fans should have boycotted the game, leaving the stadium empty, and let the selection committee for the Holiday bowl take it in the shorts for the San Diego community financially. This selection was a joke - and I don't blame the players for not being motivated or inspired to play. The University could have saved lots of money on transportation and lodging, because mentally nobody on this team showed up in San Diego.

2. Alex Henery looked like a kid with a hang over. This was probably the worst performance in his Husker career.

3. The offensive line couldn't stop a 3 man rush from a team that is smaller in size. Barney Cotton needs to be replaced. This is a coaching issue with this line.

4. Martinez is not a viable QB. He has NO pocket presence, and can not hold on to the ball. If the play does not call for him to run the ball or hand it off. He only makes this offense one dimensional. Unfortunately, we are probably stuck with this kid, if he was really thinking of transferring, because he has proven that he is not a NCAA level QB, and there is not a decent NCAA Division I team that could be serious about taking him now.

5. Watson needs to be fired, for allowing this to go on as long as it has. Watson has no ability to make changes as the game requires. If his game plan does not work, and the offense does not get good field position, his offensive scheme is void and null.

6. Finally, where was the leadership on this team? It seemed like once Nebraska went down, everyone just quit. The sideline was dead, heads hanging.

Those are my immediate observations, like them or not. Bo needs to re-evaluate the coaching staff immediately, and start a search for at least 2 new coaches, replacing at least Cotton and Watson.

I'd add Gilmore to the list of coaches that need to be replaced. Our WRs consistently underachieve: dropped balls, poor routes, too much emphasis on blocking instead of catching, zero progression throughout their careers. Swift and Peterson as the exceptions, I cannot recall the last time we fielded a decent WR.

If Niles makes it at the next level I will be convinced that Gilmore cannot coach.

I'd add Gilmore to the list of coaches that need to be replaced. Our WRs consistently underachieve: dropped balls, poor routes, too much emphasis on blocking instead of catching, zero progression throughout their careers. Swift and Peterson as the exceptions, I cannot recall the last time we fielded a decent WR.

If Niles makes it at the next level I will be convinced that Gilmore cannot coach.

:cheers I have to agree with you...maybe everyone on the offensive side needs to be fired. I also feel like we need a special team coach, because our special teams have been far from special.

IDK about dumping the special teams coach. Papuchis is a heck of a recruiter and while our ST isn't spectacular, they don't make costly mistakes (aside from bonehead Niles). I guess we will see where we are at on ST next year when Adi and Henery are gone. Then we'll really find out what kind of ST we have.

I do wonder why we never attempt to block a punt. Especially when we never get a return out of the punt anyway. Rex always fair catches it so we might as well go for the block. We'll get the same result with the upside of possibly blocking the punt.

Our team lacks discipline, and they'd probably call a personal foul on Eric Martin if he so much as breathed on the kicker.

All the personal fouls are proof of this point. Before Callahan if a player committed one, he would be yanked and chewed out for doing it. Nebraska has gained a "dirty team" reputation because of the numbers of penalties we have for personal fouls. I think this spring this needs to be one of the focal points.

I do wonder why we never attempt to block a punt. Especially when we never get a return out of the punt anyway. Rex always fair catches it so we might as well go for the block. We'll get the same result with the upside of possibly blocking the punt.

And the much stronger possiblity of roughing the kicker.

I definitely see that side of the argument, but when your offense is laying a massive turd on the field you need to take that chance. IIRC, the last time we blocked a punt was at Baylor last year... The result? We returned it for a TD. A play like that in last night's game could have turned the tide.

That said, if we do end up firing Watson and doing a little house cleaning amongst the offensive coaching staff, last night's debacle could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Last night was a no win...except the way it turned out. The only good to come from this matchup was to have a loss that left our OC exposed (and hopefully on the way out) and our team respecting washington when they come to lincoln. 11 wins is nice but I'd rather have that win next season when we'll really need it.

Can't dump on Taylor too much for his pocket presence. The guy had no time to make a decision. His fumbling issues; however, are a completely different story.

ST are fine. We've given up no TD's that I can think of this season and we took one to the house against Okst. It's not perfect but far from a concern right now.

Last night was a no win...except the way it turned out. The only good to come from this matchup was to have a loss that left our OC exposed (and hopefully on the way out) and our team respecting washington when they come to lincoln. 11 wins is nice but I'd rather have that win next season when we'll really need it.

Can't dump on Taylor too much for his pocket presence. The guy had no time to make a decision. His fumbling issues; however, are a completely different story.

ST are fine. We've given up no TD's that I can think of this season and we took one to the house against Okst. It's not perfect but far from a concern right now.

I kept telling myself that over and over after the 3rd Qtr was over. I don't ever want losing to be okay, though. Losing sucks.

Henery looked like he had a hangover? He didn't get a chance to do anything. He had one bad punt. If there is anyone who is above criticism on this team it's him.

Averaging 36.5 yards per punt is not good no matter who you play for. And that number was NOT decreased because he had to pin the ball inside the 20, because we couldn't get that far down the field all night except for the one score. I dare say that if you look at any other game he has punted in, and take away any short kicks that were to pin the opposition inside the 20, this was probably his worst outing as a Husker. We have come to expect better from him, and if he would have been "on" last night, it sure would have help in the battle for field position.

I am not saying he is the only one, but this team acted like they were still on the bus all night long.

Obviously the team did NOT want to be in San Diego last night! Neither did the fans, no one I know of was even looking forward to watching this game. Sad day in Big Red Country. Team and fans both sucked last night.

Can we not find a QB that can throw anything but a lob to the sideline? I think we tried 2 passes to the middle of the field last night. What a joke.

I wish I could understand why we have not put Zak Lee in a couple of these games this year. He IS our best passer and we sure as hell could have used him last night. Offense has no rythym whatsoever the past 4 games!

You bring up the lack of sideline demeanor. I'll add to it. I've said this a lot over Pelini's years so far and even still at this point it is one of my very VERY few griefs. I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF THIS BUSINESS LIKE MENTALITY ALL THE TIME. Every fricken game we see the other team jumping up and down on the sideline having a ball, enjoying the game. Whereas the guys in red and standing still acting like they dont care. I remember Texas Tech last year, they came in partying it up and ready to play while NU, fresh off the huge win against Missouri and supposedly loaded with all this confidence, is flat as hell. i am sick of this. At least under Callahan and Solich the players seemed to be enthused about playing. I just dont see it from Pelini teams yet as far as the sideline goes.