What is this team missing?

beanman

Offensive philosophy aside, what is this team missing that we had then. I think it's leadership on the team. I just don't see the intensity in our players, the will to win. The desire to dominate your opponent. These guys are inconsistent, not mentally tough. They don't have "it", whatever that is. There's no accountability for each other. I don't know if that is all coaching. That's part of the culture, and maybe it's going to take longer to get that back then what we are hoping... I remember seeing some of Osborne's pregame speeches, and they weren't the most inspiring ones I have ever seen, but his players played their asses off for him. I think we have enough talent on our team to be competitive in the Big 10. We definitely need help on the Defensive Line otherwise we'll be in for a long season, but even with our losses in the secondary we're still as good there as anyone. I just want to see physical football. In all our losses our Offensive Line looked like a steaming pile of poo.

What needs to happen to get us back to where we want to be? Not just coaching changes, but what do we need to do personnel-wise or with scheme changes to be successful in that league?

In the summer of 97, Grant Winstrom basically threatened violence against anyone who wouldn't run stadiums with the team on the side.

You tell me who the player on this squad is who could do that.

I agree, but how do we get that back? Who's going to be that guy? Who's going to be that guy on offense? I think that's partly why I am hoping that some young QB steps up. We need a leader...

Along with leadership, we need to become MUCH more disciplined. The double digit penalties are really getting old.

I remember hearing a lot of former players say that the practices were so physical during the week that the games were easy. Maybe we need to step up the intensity during the week and we won't come out so flat?

Nebraska became a great team in 1991 when the coaches,

after their 6th or 7th consecutive bowl loss, held a secret

closed door session.

In that secret meeting, the staff did a brutally honest self assessment.

The radical coaching changes implemented at that meeting led directly to

3 NCs and nearly 2 more.

No more alibis, no more Mr. Magoo, no more blaming the players,

no more self-serving BS.

That's what it takes to become great.

So far, we haven't seen it under Pelini.

I have to agree that most of what's lacking is on the offensive side. While the defense doesn't always provide a perfect, intense game, they get the job done to the point where the offense should be able to do the rest. It's hard for me to ask for much more from the defense when the offense sucks so hard half the time. Our offense not only seems to lack a leader and consistent intensity, but also direction. I think we need some staff changes that will inject those things into that side of the team.

on offense....no coaching, no killer instinct to bury an opponent(see #1), no discipline(see #1), too many penalties(see #1), poor play calling (see #1) and little player development (see #1).....our offensive line got worse as the season progressed....totally unacceptable to not show improvement!!!!!!! :facepalm:

on offense....no coaching, no killer instinct to bury an opponent(see #1), no discipline(see #1), too many penalties(see #1), poor play calling (see #1) and little player development (see #1).....our offensive line got worse as the season progressed....totally unacceptable to not show improvement!!!!!!! :facepalm:

Absolutely agree with you here. The only things that I would add are that compared to the Teams in the NC years there is no consistency. Those teams were like machines out there espeacially the O-Line. They acctually took pride in wearing other teams down with their disipline, strength, and aggresiveness.

1. Good coaching on the offensive side of the ball.

2. Vocal leaders (Suh was the last glimpse of one)

3. Playing with a purpose and a true passion for the game. The sideline of the Holiday bowl looked like a wake even before the first half was over.

In all fairness times change and things change. I don't expect the culture to be exactly the same as when Coach Osborne and co. were here. If we can fix #1 I think that will truly help this program. Immensely.