My thoughts on Just About Everything that is Husker at the Moment

EZ-E

It will take a lot of time, and as far as why, because Taylor has a lot to offer in other departments that your typical pocket passing QB doesn't.

If you took Ryan Mallet and tried to teach him running instincts, he is gonna have a long way to go. Same, but in reverse.

Taylor can potentially grasp it, but it will take a lot of time and it's not a sure bet. This is why he is referred to as a project. Obviously our coaches did not neglect to tell Taylor to throw the ball away. It is just a tendency of his that he hasn't gotten rid of yet. He has a lot on his plate and a long ways to go before settling down and not panicking under pressure and making poor decisions like that.

You can't just tell a kid something and expect them to have it down, and I think that's a flaw in our offensive coaching right now, or at least Watson's. Of course he's told Taylor to throw the ball away, but he's also said in public that Taylor really only learns under fire, and not at the chalkboard. If that's the case, he's got to find a way to get it through to Taylor on the field. If that means spending 10 minutes of a practice having 5 dl rush the passer against 2 ol sacking Taylor until he learns to throw the ball away, then that's what you do. And if you don't think that would have been worth doing, just realize it might have been the difference between winning the Big 12 championship and not.

As far as the Lee\Bo thing, the team medical staff did not think that Lee needed surgery, rest and rehab is what they thought was the right move. Zac's family chose to get a 2nd opinion which led to his surgery. After said surgery, Bo expected Zac to be back for Spring ball after the expected 10-12 weeks of rehab, Zac wasn't ready in that timeframe, and really didn't get back to full strength until mid summer.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_3894a1e6-6c0c-5643-8a6b-f606918bf320.html

“It’s one of those things where you can try to rehab it and maybe it works or you can get (surgery) done and it’s going to work,” Lee said after the Holiday Bowl.

The reason Zach Lee hasn't played all year is because he hasn't been physically able to with his arm. There just wasn't anyway we could use him this year. It's the best PR move for him after last year though. Last year- "Lee suck put Cody in!" This year- "Man I really wish we had Lee back..." :dumdum

It will take a lot of time, and as far as why, because Taylor has a lot to offer in other departments that your typical pocket passing QB doesn't.

If you took Ryan Mallet and tried to teach him running instincts, he is gonna have a long way to go. Same, but in reverse.

Taylor can potentially grasp it, but it will take a lot of time and it's not a sure bet. This is why he is referred to as a project. Obviously our coaches did not neglect to tell Taylor to throw the ball away. It is just a tendency of his that he hasn't gotten rid of yet. He has a lot on his plate and a long ways to go before settling down and not panicking under pressure and making poor decisions like that.

This is basically only Taylor's 3rd year playing QB. He played mostly Safety his HS FR year, sat out his SOPH year, then was QB his JR and SR years, then scout team WR and occasional QB last year, then what he was this year. He's very raw, and there's reasons for that.

• Fire 1

You can't just tell a kid something and expect them to have it down, and I think that's a flaw in our offensive coaching right now, or at least Watson's. Of course he's told Taylor to throw the ball away, but he's also said in public that Taylor really only learns under fire, and not at the chalkboard. If that's the case, he's got to find a way to get it through to Taylor on the field. If that means spending 10 minutes of a practice having 5 dl rush the passer against 2 ol sacking Taylor until he learns to throw the ball away, then that's what you do. And if you don't think that would have been worth doing, just realize it might have been the difference between winning the Big 12 championship and not.

Honostly during the season isn't as much a time for teaching the fundamentals of the game, that should be done in spring ball, fall camp and the first week of bowl prep. During the season you need to be spending time learning the game plan, studying film and getting timing down with your receivers.

One sentence: Zac Lee should have been the starting quarterback this season.

Which was a lot harder to say when Taylor was murderating K-State and Washington.

...and Oklahoma State.

However, I don't think Zac Lee plays the LT spot very well, so don't now how anybody would have helped that much. He probably gets rid of the ball more often, but we lose the first downs created by Taylor's legs. I say it was probably a wash between the two.

Which was a lot harder to say when Taylor was murderating K-State and Washington.

I agree with Husker_X.

Do people even remember all the hate Zac was getting last season and that we wanting a new QB? Do people remember Taylor surprising EVERYBODY during the opening game with his 3 TD's and then to back that up against K-State, UW, and Okie State? Does anybody realize how much love was going Husker Nation during Martinez's first 7 career starts?

Got a bunch of hypocrites on this board

• Fire 1

Performance psychology is universal. I'm a golf professional and work with players of all abilities and ages. I can't make a person consistently break 80 if that person won't work on their short game and putting. That's not on me. There has to be a desire to get better and an understanding that I can help them get better. There also needs to be trust that what I am trying to teach will help them lower their scores.

If a parent brings me their child and wants me to help them get a scholarship, then dictates what we work on, it doesn't work. I've had parents tell me that they heard on TV, that you need to be in the fairway to score better, so I need to get junior's driver straightened out. Which may be true, but junior 3putts more than he 2putts and can't chip to save his life. Nevermind that having a good short game will reduce tension on full shots, which will then produce better full shots and less reliance on the short game. If you know that you can get it up and down from anywhere, then that shot from the fairway or tee becomes less important and thus, easier to execute.

Which Micheal Vick would you rather have? The one who played for Atlanta and eschewed preparation, who took off after one read, or the one who plays for Philly now, who has more patience, goes through his reads and actually spends time in the film room studying his opponents and works on his game.

Development is a 2-way street. One has to want to get better and work at it. The player who already knows it all won't get better.

Was Joe Ganz more talented than Taylor Martinez? He sure played a helluva lot better. From what I understand, he was a filmrat, he worked very hard to learn every aspect of the offense he played in. He studied his opponents and understood their weaknesses and bought in to the gameplan and had the patience to make ALL of the reads and then took off only when there was no other choice.

Minor Orangeblack or Chrissy Simms? One had the pedigree and rocket arm, was pretty much clueless, yet already knew it all, the other just knew what the defense was trying to do and found a way to exploit that with limited physical abilities.

I don't know what the hell happened on Thursday night. It looked to me that we got completely dominated on both offensive and defensive lines. Who is responsible for motivating the team? How can Jake Locker keep running wild? Garrett Gilbert ran wild, too. A little help on the play calling might have helped a struggling line. There has to be a lane for the shovel pass to work, why no screen passes? If what Big Willie mentioned about Beck doing prep and Watson calling the game is true, then that is a recipe for disaster. After our previous matchup with them and our running domination, I figured that they would scheme to stop the run. I can't believe that we didn't try to adjust. The only thing I know is our O-line has looked average at best all season. D-Line hasn't looked very good either, but from what I've read about Pelini's scheme, they are to occupy blocks and funnel the ball to LBs, so they could be doing a great job within the defensive scheme.

I don't care who the QB is or what the offense is trying to do, if the line can't block then there is not much that will work. A screen pass or 2 will make the defense at least think twice about just pinning their ears back. I'm starting to think that Watson would be better off somewhere else, especially if Bo doesn't trust him and meddles in what he is trying to do. The whole cooking and buying the ingredients thing. I know if I'm being held responsible for results, then you better let me do it my way. If you make me work on junior's driver 90% of the time, don't blame me if he keeps shooting 90. If junior doesn't want to practice chipping and putting, I can't make him break 80.

• Fire 3

I agree with Husker_X.

Do people even remember all the hate Zac was getting last season and that we wanting a new QB? Do people remember Taylor surprising EVERYBODY during the opening game with his 3 TD's and then to back that up against K-State, UW, and Okie State? Does anybody realize how much love was going Husker Nation during Martinez's first 7 career starts?

Got a bunch of hypocrites on this board

more know nothing than hypocrites.

Without knowing Lee's arm was at 20% for most of last year, people were complaining about him. Once they found out he needed surgery they just sat there.

Some of us had it right from the beginning.

• Fire 1

...and Oklahoma State.

However, I don't think Zac Lee plays the LT spot very well, so don't now how anybody would have helped that much. He probably gets rid of the ball more often, but we lose the first downs created by Taylor's legs. I say it was probably a wash between the two.

He's just a bit undersized to play left tackle.

Once Martinez got dinged, his play went out the window. At that point is when Lee should have been moved to starter. Failing to make that move is just another example of Pelini's need to grow and learn.

...and Oklahoma State.

Once Martinez got dinged, his play went out the window. At that point is when Lee should have been moved to starter. Failing to make that move is just another example of Pelini's need to grow and learn.

Truth.

...and Oklahoma State.

Yea but didn't lee get hurt around that same time