Summing up Barney Cotton in one play

Bo saddled Watson with Cotton. Games are won and lost in the trenches. It really doesn't matter who's calling the plays when the OL is getting beat this bad.

Replace the B with a T and you've got your man. Cotton is here because of Osborne.

Really heard conflicting stuff on this but I'm inclined to agree. I would sooner believe TO saddled Bo and everyone else with Cotton, than Bo looked at all the OL coaches he's known over the years and thought, "Man, that guy was the best."

I've heard different stories, too, but from what I understand, TO made "strong recommendations" on certain coaches. Ron Brown was one, Sanders was another, Cotton was another. The decision to keep Watson and Gilmore was made by committee with heavy input from Osborne, and was mostly for the sake of continuity. You see coaches retained from one regime to another all the time, and Watson/Gilmore were our "consistency" retentions.

Wow, those of you that are sticking up for Cotton by saying that "they got confused" ---THAT IS COTTON'S JOB! He's the offensive line coach, he is supposed to teach them how to deal with different blitzes and different looks. Also, #74 bull-rushed right through 3 linemen and then Helu. Pretty pathetic both physically and mentally.

Actually, after the D-line complete their fakes Kieth Williams notices the NG and takes his shot at him. Between him and Caputo at that point they can't take the kid on. Helu was suppose to block on that play but ends up having no one to pick up cuz they all dropped into coverage. He then fails to slow a guy twice his size. Understandable. This play is just a gaurds and center fail.

There's so much blame to go around it's just pitiful. The Oline doesn't do the OC any favors. The OC doesn't do the Oline any favors (predictable playcalling and a general lack of misdirection). If the Oline is struggling then call some plays that take the pressure off the Oline. Washington was just stacking the box and teeing off on 3rd and long. Use their aggressiveness against them. Run a screen...run misdirection...these are all adjustments that should've been made after Taylor's injury. We beat Washington the first time with the zone read which is simply using the Dlineman's overpursuit against him. If he crashes down the qb keeps. If he stays at home the back is up the gut.