NCAA considering "10-second run off" at end of games

From Stewart Mandel:

NCAA coordinator of officials Dave Parry told the AP he expects the rules committee to look into adding something like the NFL's 10-second run off at the end of games following the controversial finish to North Carolina's Music City Bowl win over Tennessee. Link.

The NFL rules digest states the following:

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half

On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)

A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire.

Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap. Link.

All this gets me to my noob question: had this rule been in effect in 2009 do we beat Texas?

From Stewart Mandel:

NCAA coordinator of officials Dave Parry told the AP he expects the rules committee to look into adding something like the NFL's 10-second run off at the end of games following the controversial finish to North Carolina's Music City Bowl win over Tennessee. Link.

The NFL rules digest states the following:

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half

On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)

A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire.

Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap. Link.

All this gets me to my noob question: had this rule been in effect in 2009 do we beat Texas?

I dont think so because a penalty didnt occur on the play were the second was added back on.... it was an officals judgement call. I guess is how I look at it.

I hope the NCAA does install the ten second run-off for situations like this. I was waiting for something more to happen instead of just the 5 yard penalty that was called when the spiked the ball with like 16 guys on the field.

I also agreed with what Lou Holtz said the other day when he said if more than 11 guys participate in a play, then it should be a 15 yard penalty instead of just the 5 it is now.

You know I thought after the ball was snapped it's now an illegal participation penalty. Did they stop the clock because they spiked the ball or did they stop it for the penalty. If they stopped it for the penalty there shouldn't have been enough time to snap and spike the ball. So if the penalty occurred after they snapped the ball it's illegal participation and not substitution infraction...and I thought one was 5 and the other was 15 yards.

And my 2 cents....they need to have a run off of time. Tennessee got robbed.

• Fire 1

You know I thought after the ball was snapped it's now an illegal participation penalty. Did they stop the clock because they spiked the ball or did they stop it for the penalty. If they stopped it for the penalty there shouldn't have been enough time to snap and spike the ball. So if the penalty occurred after they snapped the ball it's illegal participation and not substitution infraction...and I thought one was 5 and the other was 15 yards.

And my 2 cents....they need to have a run off of time. Tennessee got robbed.

I believe they stopped it because of the spike. Im remember Yates starting too freak and then he just snapped it. I think they reviewed to see if 1 second was still on the clock. Since the ball was spiked, it is just treated as incomplete pass. Then the penalty occured, so I guess it technically is a dead ball foul.

I dont know, really that whole end of the game was confusing and I was getting pissed cause I knew our game as started and wasnt seeing it. Thanks ESPN for not telling us the game was on ESPNU. Only found out after panicking and flipping through every espn channel to find it.

I believe they stopped it because of the spike. Im remember Yates starting too freak and then he just snapped it. I think they reviewed to see if 1 second was still on the clock. Since the ball was spiked, it is just treated as incomplete pass. Then the penalty occured, so I guess it technically is a dead ball foul.

I dont know, really that whole end of the game was confusing and I was getting pissed cause I knew our game as started and wasnt seeing it. Thanks ESPN for not telling us the game was on ESPNU. Only found out after panicking and flipping through every espn channel to find it.

they announced it, but a couple minutes into the game. i remember because everyone in the bar was freakin out, they announced during one of those game break type things were they go back to the studio, i ran and grabbed the remote from behind the bar and changed it. talk about a way to make new friends.

I don't see why everyone says Tennessee was robbed. UNC got up to the line to take a snap and down the ball. Yates was watching the Tar Heels guys to see if they'd get off the field. He waited as long as he could, but they weren't going to make it. So he took the snap with a couple of seconds left knowing there would be a penalty. The refs stepped the five yards off, and the Tar Heels kicked a FG for the win. What's the big deal? There was clearly a second left when Yates spiked the ball.

I don't see why everyone says Tennessee was robbed. UNC got up to the line to take a snap and down the ball. Yates was watching the Tar Heels guys to see if they'd get off the field. He waited as long as he could, but they weren't going to make it. So he took the snap with a couple of seconds left knowing there would be a penalty. The refs stepped the five yards off, and the Tar Heels kicked a FG for the win. What's the big deal? There was clearly a second left when Yates spiked the ball.

I disagree. UNC's coaches seriously effed up, they should have lost.

Yes, the UNC coaches screwed up. And yes, Tenn would have won if the fans watching the game could have voted on the situation. But the fan vote doesn't count. UNC won, as they should have, because the refs called the play correctly according to the rules that are in place. And I think Yates made a smart play--the best play he could, given the situation.

Yes, the UNC coaches screwed up. And yes, Tenn would have won if the fans watching the game could have voted on the situation. But the fan vote doesn't count. UNC won, as they should have, because the refs called the play correctly according to the rules that are in place. And I think Yates made a smart play--the best play he could, given the situation.

You are agreeing with everyone else by saying they won due to the rules that are in place, since everyone else is saying the rules that are in place are the culprit here, and shouldn't exist in their current fashion.