Brion Carnes

C N Red

I'm sorry, is this the "Question Zoogies' thoughts on Callahan" thread? I thought I was going to be reading the "Brion Carnes" thread. I guess I'll look for that one elsewhere.

Nobody knows anything about Brion Carnes, I don't know why this thread even exists... The kid hasn't played a down of college football yet. There aren't even spring game highlights to talk about. All we have is a quote from one or two coaches saying that the kid is doing well, which is what they say about any number of other players that haven't been seen in live action yet.

There's nothing to talk about.

Maybe if you would read the thread more carefully you would see that in the first post I was saying that brions highlight tapes remind me of how tyrod taylor runs and throws. Just trying to bring up hope for the future since IMO I don't think TM is gonna be the answer. So hate me for talking about a possible future qb but I thought that's a reason for the board. Its not like he's a recruit, he is signed and will not be a RS next year, so I thought why not dream. My bad.

Sorry, wasn't trying to slam the thread... But when there's not much to say other than, "He kind of reminds me of Tyrod Taylor," and, "Yup, kinda reminds me of that too..." then the thread might get off track pretty quickly. I just don't have anything to say about Carnes until I actually see him play.

Should the Kenny Bell thread not exist either?

I don't know why, but it seems you get really defensive whenever Brion and the high hopes for him come up, because the implicit threat to Taylor is implied. It's puzzling because I think you are perfectly reasonable in most respects. Just an honest question here, not meaning to take a shot.

Anyway, apologies for taking this thread so far off course. I am excited about the Brion-to-Tyrod comparison because I like Tyrod a lot as a QB. I said of course I would take Luck but I mean, we're talking about a future #1 overall NFL pick here, hence of course.

Sorry. I'm completely hopeful that Brion lives up to the hype. I just don't really understand the hype that comes with him or any QB recruit that comes in with hype, Starling and Turner included. Where does that hype come from? Haven't we learned our lessons about hyping every single QB that comes through here? I understand we want to get hopeful, and we want to get carried away, but still... After Curt Dukes and Harrison Beck and Joe Dailey and on and on and on...

I understand a conversation about how they could fit into the offense, or how they might change the offense so it exploits the strength of a certain player or recruit. But most of the time I feel like we're setting up these kids just to fail by building up these huge expectations from almost nothing.

As far as Martinez goes, he's one of the very few guys that has even gotten remotely close to living up to the hype bestowed upon him, and right now at least half of HuskerNation seems to think he might as well just transfer. With that kind of precedent, what will Brion Carnes have to do to earn his keep if he actually does manage to take the starting job from Taylor next year? It's hard for me to imagine him having a better season than Martinez, even with the 2010 season ending on a low note...

• Fire 1

Here is where the thread should now evolve for those of you who are offended.

Brion Carnes being closely talented and having the play making ability of Tyrod Taylor. If this would end up being true, I would say this:

Brion Carnes > Any other qb on the roster

It goes wihtout saying that if Carnes were anything like Tyrod and his ability to make plays I would love to see that guy on the field dominating for nebraska.

I've seen Tyrod Taylor play before, I watched the game tonight. I think the comparison is easy to make because they both throw and run but from just watching Carnes he looks a thousand times more nimble than Tyrod Taylor does. I have high hopes for him. I just hope they don't get dashed. Of course anything is possible but I know in the LJS about 10 days ago Pelini had some really, really good words to say when asked about Carnes.

Bo on Carnes:

Brion Carnes: We couldn't go any further without mention of a quarterback, right?

After a decommitment last year from Tyler Gabbert, the Huskers turned their recruiting attention to Carnes. It's been well-documented that Carnes is the cousin of Tommie Frazier, and comes from the same Manatee High School in Bradenton, Fla., as the former Husker great.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Carnes had thoughts of going to Western Kentucky, but ultimately signed with NU, saying he wants to win championships.

And while fans and media spent the fall with a microscope on Taylor Martinez, Carnes went about his business and showed he has the potential to be a factor here.

"He's a very strong, accurate passer," Pelini said. "He makes some great throws against us."

The throws are one thing. But it is Carnes' diligence to detail that has impressed just as much.

"I like him because he is such a conscientious football player," Pelini said. "A lot of guys spend their year on the scout team just going through the motions and doing what the card says. But Brion competes. He competes every play. That's just who he is by nature. And he's out to please. He's constantly wanting feedback from the defensive coaches, asking, 'Hey, am I giving you a good look? What can I do better?' He would study the quarterback for that week and try to emulate him. He's that kind of kid."

• Fire 1

Tyrod Taylor is pretty dang good. What a joy to watch.

I would rather have a guy like Luck of course, but what a weapon Taylor is!

Speaking of the Orange Bowl - Stanford has 350 plays apparently. Huge, complex playbook.

You must have been a huge callaclown fan huh? You want a pocket passer. Truthfully I think in college football you need a dual threat qb who passes well and scrambles to throw and runs when needs to. In the pros qbs have alot more time to study coverages etc and can have huge playbooks because that's their job. In college with school and all iits hard to do in 4-5 years and there may be 1-2 very special pocket passing qbs every 6-8 years like peyton manning. Hell, tom brady didn't even play at michigan. Better chance to find athletic qb who can be dual. It takes alot of years to be a great pocket passer.

Heh, you have no idea what a bullseye that was.

It goes wihtout saying that if Carnes were anything like Tyrod and his ability to make plays I would love to see that guy on the field dominating for nebraska.

Couldn't agree more. One of Tyrod's biggest strengths is his ability to keep his eyes downfield as he's scampering around the pocket and rolling out to create more time for his receivers. And as John Gruden pointed out, Tyrod has the uncanny ability (because he's been well-coached) to set his feet before passing, even when he's on the run. From what I've seen of Brion Carnes, that's an important ability he possesses as well.

I've seen Tyrod Taylor play before, I watched the game tonight. I think the comparison is easy to make because they both throw and run but from just watching Carnes he looks a thousand times more nimble than Tyrod Taylor does.

Bo on Carnes:

Brion Carnes: We couldn't go any further without mention of a quarterback, right?

After a decommitment last year from Tyler Gabbert, the Huskers turned their recruiting attention to Carnes. It's been well-documented that Carnes is the cousin of Tommie Frazier, and comes from the same Manatee High School in Bradenton, Fla., as the former Husker great.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Carnes had thoughts of going to Western Kentucky, but ultimately signed with NU, saying he wants to win championships.

And while fans and media spent the fall with a microscope on Taylor Martinez, Carnes went about his business and showed he has the potential to be a factor here.

"He's a very strong, accurate passer," Pelini said. "He makes some great throws against us."

The throws are one thing. But it is Carnes' diligence to detail that has impressed just as much.

"I like him because he is such a conscientious football player," Pelini said. "A lot of guys spend their year on the scout team just going through the motions and doing what the card says. But Brion competes. He competes every play. That's just who he is by nature. And he's out to please. He's constantly wanting feedback from the defensive coaches, asking, 'Hey, am I giving you a good look? What can I do better?' He would study the quarterback for that week and try to emulate him. He's that kind of kid."

In response to the bolded - Not true because Tyrod is incredibly nimble, even at the collegiate level, and we can't say that about Brion...yet. TT got sacked several times by Stanford last night because of all the blitzes and VaTech's inability to pick those up. But, Tyrod evaded at least 5 more sacks all on his own, and then turned those missed sacks into positive yardage (eg. his amazing TD pass in the 2nd qtr).

And I love hearing what Pelini had to say about Carnes. Those are the kind of traits/qualities I expect from a winning QB. How many times have we heard or read about the success of players who are diligent and detail-oriented? Obviously it's too early to tell what kind of impact Carnes will have on our offense moving forward, but so far so good from my standpoint.

I've seen Tyrod Taylor play before, I watched the game tonight. I think the comparison is easy to make because they both throw and run but from just watching Carnes he looks a thousand times more nimble than Tyrod Taylor does. I have high hopes for him. I just hope they don't get dashed. Of course anything is possible but I know in the LJS about 10 days ago Pelini had some really, really good words to say when asked about Carnes.

Bo on Carnes:

This kid has a shot to start next year. I think he brings speed and a elusiveness to the position. He throws well on the run. Look how hard it was to defend Luck on the run. He can hit WR's/TE's on the run. Carnes is very good at this. Look at some of his tape from his senior season. He started as a freshman in HS. The same high school that Tommy Frazier started as a junior. Dark horse but I say he will be the started by the start of big 10 play.

I keep forgetting this, but I'm glad to see Carnes is 6'1". He's only 190-200 lbs right now, but at least he's got some decent height. I had it stuck in my mind he was only 5'10" or 5'11", but I must be thinking about Turner, right? That's almost too small for a QB, especially in the B1G.

I keep forgetting this, but I'm glad to see Carnes is 6'1". He's only 190-200 lbs right now, but at least he's got some decent height. I had it stuck in my mind he was only 5'10" or 5'11", but I must be thinking about Turner, right? That's almost too small for a QB, especially in the B1G.

Guy is thin as a rail. His #1 priority this offseason has to be putting on mass. He'll get broken in half if he doesn't.

Guy is thin as a rail. His #1 priority this offseason has to be putting on mass. He'll get broken in half if he doesn't.

Funny. That's how I feel about Martinez' legs in the B1G next season, especially considering the way he runs.

Funny. That's how I feel about Martinez' legs in the B1G next season, especially considering the way he runs.

Marty needs to put some weight on, too. Of course, neither Carnes nor Marty need to worry about weight if they're running twice as fast as everyone. Big Ten looked slow in their bowl games.

Here are the 11 QB's that started for the most part in the Big Ten in 2010

Denard Robinson- 6'0" 193lbs

Nathan Scheelhaase- 6'3" 195lbs

Rob Henry- 6'2" 198 lbs

Kirk Cousins- 6'3" 202lbs

Scott Tolzien- 6'0" 205lbs

Matt McGloin- 6'1" 209lbs

Dan Persa- 6'1" 210lbs

Adam Weber- 6'3" 221lbs

Ricky Stanzi- 6'4" 230lbs

Terrelle Pryor- 6'6" 235lbs

Ben Chappel- 6'3" 240lbs

And Nebraska's QB's

Jamal Turner- 6'1" 175lbs

Brion Carnes- 6'1" 190lbs

Taylor Martinez- 6'1" 205lbs

Cody Green- 6'4" 225lbs

Bubba Starling- 6'5" 193lbs

I don't think Carnes problem is weight. He'll be just fine. The only problem he has right now is gaining experience, getting an opportunity and seeing how he can actually do when playing in an actual Division 1 game. Just like every other Freshman/Redshirt Freshman that comes here.

I do think Jamal Turner could do well to put some weight on though. 175 lbs is tiny for a QB! lol

I think he'll be fine too.