Brion Carnes

C N Red

I keep forgetting this, but I'm glad to see Carnes is 6'1". He's only 190-200 lbs right now, but at least he's got some decent height. I had it stuck in my mind he was only 5'10" or 5'11", but I must be thinking about Turner, right? That's almost too small for a QB, especially in the B1G.

Here are the 11 QB's that started for the most part in the Big Ten in 2010

Denard Robinson- 6'0" 193lbs

Nathan Scheelhaase- 6'3" 195lbs

Rob Henry- 6'2" 198 lbs

Kirk Cousins- 6'3" 202lbs

Scott Tolzien- 6'0" 205lbs

Matt McGloin- 6'1" 209lbs

Dan Persa- 6'1" 210lbs

Adam Weber- 6'3" 221lbs

Ricky Stanzi- 6'4" 230lbs

Terrelle Pryor- 6'6" 235lbs

Ben Chappel- 6'3" 240lbs

And Nebraska's QB's

Jamal Turner- 6'1" 175lbs

Brion Carnes- 6'1" 190lbs

Taylor Martinez- 6'1" 205lbs

Cody Green- 6'4" 225lbs

Bubba Starling- 6'5" 193lbs

Scheelhaase looked pretty good in their bowl. Hell I would take that kid right now. Weren't we on him pretty hard?? He looks much more advanced than Taylor does.

The Taylor Martinez 205 is complete BS!! They even said it during the Holiday Bowl. He's more like 185.

The tape.

Thanks for embedding the video suhfan93. Man I just watched that again and got a chub.

I'm telling you right now, if Carnes is able to learn the Offense(preferably a new one, not Watsons) he will be our starter by the start of Conference play next year. Man, if that guy doesn't remind you of a Tyrod Taylor, Dennis Dixon, Charlie Ward, dare I say T. Fraz.

His on the move passing looks unbelievable. His major downside is the fact that he may not throw from the pocket enough, therefore looking to scrammble too much and either passing on the run or tucking it. The biggest thing for him is putting on weight which shouldn't be a problem with another winter, spring, and summer, and then learning to step up in the pocket to throw first, run second.

I say Carnes, Jamal Turner, and Bubba(fingers crossed) are the biggest reasons for gettting rid of Watson. Watson's playbook sucks and I haven't seen him develop anyone at QB(really don't believe he helped Ganz all that much). Let's get rid of him before he screws up any more of our QB recruits!!

I'm sorry, is this the "Question Zoogies' thoughts on Callahan" thread? I thought I was going to be reading the "Brion Carnes" thread. I guess I'll look for that one elsewhere.

Nobody knows anything about Brion Carnes, I don't know why this thread even exists... The kid hasn't played a down of college football yet. There aren't even spring game highlights to talk about. All we have is a quote from one or two coaches saying that the kid is doing well, which is what they say about any number of other players that haven't been seen in live action yet.

There's nothing to talk about.

although i completely agree, the dreaded off season is here...and Wats is still here too...damit!

The tape.

Thanks for embedding the video suhfan93. Man I just watched that again and got a chub.

I'm telling you right now, if Carnes is able to learn the Offense(preferably a new one, not Watsons) he will be our starter by the start of Conference play next year. Man, if that guy doesn't remind you of a Tyrod Taylor, Dennis Dixon, Charlie Ward, dare I say T. Fraz.

His on the move passing looks unbelievable. His major downside is the fact that he may not throw from the pocket enough, therefore looking to scrammble too much and either passing on the run or tucking it. The biggest thing for him is putting on weight which shouldn't be a problem with another winter, spring, and summer, and then learning to step up in the pocket to throw first, run second.

I say Carnes, Jamal Turner, and Bubba(fingers crossed) are the biggest reasons for gettting rid of Watson. Watson's playbook sucks and I haven't seen him develop anyone at QB(really don't believe he helped Ganz all that much). Let's get rid of him before he screws up any more of our QB recruits!!

Lets hold off on comparing him to anybody else until he sees a college snaps. In the video he is man among boys.... it will be just the opposite when/if he takes a snap this fall.

Will people stop using the Okie Lite game as a measuring stick??? It seems every other Watson/etc./etc. thread has Okie Lite game as an example. Teams like Okie State dont believe in defense, they believe in scoring enough points on offense in hoping the opposing teams offense doesnt keep up. They are one of the most undisciplined defenses in the country the NU game proves its, the 4th Quarter of their OU game proves it.

If we are measuring of what this offense does against medicore defenses we might as well count the SDSU game. Wait.... Ohhh they stuffed us like a thanksgiving turkey. They were the first defense that sold out to stop the zone read and succeeded just nobody noticed yet because it was thought of as an "off" game, because of the bye week coming up.

If you would have read my post carefully, you would have noticed I said this offense can work, because it has worked. That does not mean it will/will not work in the future, I am simply saying that it has the potential to work.

Yes, Oklahoma St's defense isn't really that good, but what does that matter when the pocket is collapsing? Taylor's ability to step up in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass downfield has NOTHING to do with the skillset of the players. Sometimes Taylor is indecisive, sometimes he isn't, and those things occur against both good and bad defenses. Why? I don't know, that falls on Watson. But, as my original post stated, we CAN be successful. Taylor CAN make the right decisions, CAN make the throws, and CAN kill other teams with his legs.

The scheme isn't the problem, it's executing that scheme weekly. I would think that it's pretty hard to argue that. Look at Washington as the best example. One time it worked, one time it failed. That's our problem, and that's why Shawn Watson needs to go. Not because he doesn't know offense or his X's and O's, but because it only works about 1/3 of the time for a reason nobody seems to be able to figure out.

Oklahoma State is #61 in Scoring Defense. That makes them pretty average. They're not horrible.

88th in total defense. thats not average, thats horrible.

Saying they're average is pretty generous. Thats like saying Nebraska offense is "ok"(28th I believe) but you and I both know thats not true.

Washington is 71st in total defense, that puts them in the 40th percentile. Oklahoma St is in the 27th percentile. That puts them in both the same quartile and quintile. Statistically speaking, they're pretty dang similar to each other.

So why did we get dominated in the Holiday Bowl?

Will people stop using the Okie Lite game as a measuring stick??? It seems every other Watson/etc./etc. thread has Okie Lite game as an example. Teams like Okie State dont believe in defense, they believe in scoring enough points on offense in hoping the opposing teams offense doesnt keep up. They are one of the most undisciplined defenses in the country the NU game proves its, the 4th Quarter of their OU game proves it.

If we are measuring of what this offense does against medicore defenses we might as well count the SDSU game. Wait.... Ohhh they stuffed us like a thanksgiving turkey. They were the first defense that sold out to stop the zone read and succeeded just nobody noticed yet because it was thought of as an "off" game, because of the bye week coming up.

If you would have read my post carefully, you would have noticed I said this offense can work, because it has worked. That does not mean it will/will not work in the future, I am simply saying that it has the potential to work.

Yes, Oklahoma St's defense isn't really that good, but what does that matter when the pocket is collapsing? Taylor's ability to step up in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass downfield has NOTHING to do with the skillset of the players. Sometimes Taylor is indecisive, sometimes he isn't, and those things occur against both good and bad defenses. Why? I don't know, that falls on Watson. But, as my original post stated, we CAN be successful. Taylor CAN make the right decisions, CAN make the throws, and CAN kill other teams with his legs.

The scheme isn't the problem, it's executing that scheme weekly. I would think that it's pretty hard to argue that. Look at Washington as the best example. One time it worked, one time it failed. That's our problem, and that's why Shawn Watson needs to go. Not because he doesn't know offense or his X's and O's, but because it only works about 1/3 of the time for a reason nobody seems to be able to figure out.

I did read it carefully and using the Okie Lite game as potential of what this offense can do.... doesnt fly. You think maybe the reason is Taylor can make those throws, runs, and reads is because of Okie Lite's terrible defense. You might as well be comparing to WKU, Idaho, KState, the first quarter of the mizzou game.

the reason this offense didnt work against Washington is because. 1. They have gotten better as the season has gone on. 2. They have film on how to STOP this offense. 3. They were confident in what they needed to do stop Nebraska, something that didnt happen the first game. Why were they confident... see reason 2. Thats what alot defenses had against us later in the season.

After KState we didnt really lite anybody up offensively for 4 quarters. When we faced a team that has a well coached defense, we had alot of issues.

Scott, Total Defense measures yards given up - it's one of the worst measures of a defense. Scoring Defense is by far the better barometer.

Im aware of that..... Im just saying that Okie Lites defensive numbers are terrible for a BCS school. 61st in scoring, 88th in total defense. Thats far from average..... im just pointing that out.

If you give up a ton of yards... more than likely you are gonna give up a ton of points.

The difference between 61st and 88th in scoring defense...... not even 4pts a game. I dont think thats worthy of making them an average defense. Giving up 26 pts a game is still horrible on defense.

Also the arizona game is counted twice on the NCAA stats so these are alittle schewed.

The tape.

Lets hold off on comparing him to anybody else until he sees a college snaps. In the video he is man among boys.... it will be just the opposite when/if he takes a snap this fall.

Manatee is in Florida's largest class. Talent laden is putting it nicely. His senior year he beat the number one ranked team in the nation with a last second touchdown pass so while it doesn't guarantee greatness I think it does say something. That he could play so well in the toughest and largest division of high school football in Florida. One of the best states in the country in terms of producing top h.s. football talent.

This is what his high school coach had to say. I love that Carnes seems like a team player and not an individualist.

Carnes HS QB coach:

And whatever happens, Carnes will surely be close to the action. According to Chris Conboy, Carnes missed a couple of weeks as a junior when he suffered a concussion. Even then, he stayed with the team every day. When the second team took the field in practice, Carnes kept his place in the backfield. Same with the third team.

"He didn't miss a single practice in the spring," Conboy said. "He was just a very consistent, durable guy. Everybody knew he was going to be there for every rep."