Bo under attack again by the press

Although I think it's obvious Bo was joking, I can see how his tone may not have made that entirely clear. The kid obviously believed he was calling a play.

I say just apologize for the misunderstanding and let him script the first play against the Mocs. Even if it's the worst play-call ever (I'll hold off on the obvious Wats joke here), we still win 56-7.

Bo clearly had it planned as a joke and you can see him trying to recite it the way he planned it. The premise of the joke was simple: Bo was making the kid responsible in the case of any ugly plays. Get it? Ha ha. The only problem is, Bo is super awkward and not a stand up comedian. His delivery was really bad.

What gets me is how she refers to Bo's attitude as "sour"! In no way did he sound sour when he addressed her. She asked an irrelevant question after a tough defeat. Even if his response was sour, who could blame him?

Sour coach barking:

Wow... what an angry man he is.

Taylor got off easy compared to the tongue-lashing he gave Ms. Horne. Such a scathing response would've reduced R. Lee Ermey to tears.

Suddenly I feel sympathetic to Lisa, that poor woman.

What gets me is how she refers to Bo's attitude as "sour"! In no way did he sound sour when he addressed her. She asked an irrelevant question after a tough defeat. Even if his response was sour, who could blame him?

Sour coach barking:

Wow... what an angry man he is.

Taylor got off easy compared to the tongue-lashing he gave Ms. Horne. Such a scathing response would've reduced R. Lee Ermey to tears.

Suddenly I feel sympathetic to Lisa, that poor woman.

Ahhhhhh.......never mind wink.gif

Don't know what is up with this story, but 'under attack' is right. I don't get it.

At first I was reading and thought, wow, that is a low blow from Pelini. And it is, if that's what he promised.

But the article gets more and more absurdly melodramatic. An extremely poor attempt by the author...not even sure what she was trying to go for. It's usually not a good idea for reporters to write with emotion. I have a feeling she got more caught up in the outrage - substantially more - than even the sailor's disappointment.

(edit) So she was the lady who asked that question in the presser, huh? That explains it. Was gonna say, this came outta nowhere.

It would help if Bo wasn't such an jackass/a-hole to the press. Yes they may be annoying, but what do you expect them to do when you are acting like he does?

Don't know what is up with this story, but 'under attack' is right. I don't get it.

At first I was reading and thought, wow, that is a low blow from Pelini. And it is, if that's what he promised.

But the article gets more and more absurdly melodramatic. An extremely poor attempt by the author...not even sure what she was trying to go for. It's usually not a good idea for reporters to write with emotion. I have a feeling she got more caught up in the outrage - substantially more - than even the sailor's disappointment.

(edit) So she was the lady who asked that question in the presser, huh? That explains it. Was gonna say, this came outta nowhere.

It would help if Bo wasn't such an jackass/a-hole to the press. Yes they may be annoying, but what do you expect them to do when you are acting like he does?

Sigh....more of the same. The dude gets pissed when he loses. He was very mellow and relaxed after the Washington game so this time around there's really NOTHING to complain about.

Even though this is really a non-story, I'm not surprised a writer is making it a bigger story than it needs to be.

I talked about this a few months back - when you are stand-offish, rude, and blow off the media as Bo has done so much while he has been here, they will eventually slowly turn on you. I'm only surprised that it was not some local writer who finally got fed up with Bo.

One thing Bo definitely needs to realize and accept is that the media is going nowhere, no matter how much he wishes they would. And if he continues to shut them out and display a horrid attitude to them, it is only going to hurt him in the future more than anything else.

Dealing with the media is part of the gig, so although it isn't in Bo's personality, he just needs to smile, answer their questions and try to be as polite as possible. And yes, that includes even when a hoard of cameras are not in his face.

Do you think Lisa Horne has been following Bo's pressers for the past three years and slowly turning on him? I really doubt it. I doubt she had ever even seen Bo talk prior to being assigned to the Holiday Bowl. So I don't think his past had anything to do with this story coming to be.

Jtrain,

I think you are wrong on that. Bo has a reputation for being rude, out of control, obnoxious, confrontational. Every reporter worth their salt knows it.

Again the problem is not what was said or how it was meant. The problem is that it will continue to happen unless he makes a 180 turn in his treatment of the press, local and national.

It is a major part of his job, to represent the University in a positive light. I agree his comments were not confrontational, but the media did not or does not see it that way. That is the problem, not what was said or how it was said.

I know some are coming to his defense over this, and that is a very good thing. Turning a negative into a postive on this is a good thing.

I am stunned by the number of posters here actually getting after Bo. The guy shows some personality and jokes around with the media and instead of "Bo needs to be more media friendly" it's now "Bo should be careful what he says and stick to football." People sure love to nitpick our successful head coach. Bo can't win right now with the national media due to his fiery personality. Boo hoo. The media's worthless. I get better information on Huskerboard...probably less opinionated too...

I too will take HuskerBoard any day of the week over the fish-wraps.

Jtrain,

I think you are wrong on that. Bo has a reputation for being rude, out of control, obnoxious, confrontational. Every reporter worth their salt knows it.

I'll stop you right there. Ever heard of Lisa Horne prior to this incident? Me neither. This lady had probably heard of Bo but never been to one of his pressers or known what his reputation with the media was. She just legitimately believed he wasn't joking and sensationalized the story enough to try to make the readers agree with her. Had the same exact situation occurred with Jim Tressel or Mack Brown, I'm pretty sure she would've come up with the same story.

Anyone, she "liked" this story on BR, so she's clearly backing off a little at this point.