Bo under attack again by the press

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-holiday-bowl-broken-promise-to-naval-officer-010511

It would be one of the best days of Ryan’s life — partly because of a promise made by Nebraska coach Bo Pelini.

Unfortunately for Ryan, he never got the opportunity. Nor, as it turns out, did Pelini ever intend to honor his commitment.

"It was a joke, ma'am," the sour head coach barked at me in his Holiday Bowl postgame news conference

http://msn.foxsports...-officer-010511

It would be one of the best days of Ryan's life — partly because of a promise made by Nebraska coach Bo Pelini.

Unfortunately for Ryan, he never got the opportunity. Nor, as it turns out, did Pelini ever intend to honor his commitment.

"It was a joke, ma'am," the sour head coach barked at me in his Holiday Bowl postgame news conference

Umm, this is beyond ridiculous... Talk about a non-story being made into a pretty lame one.

Who cares? i know I don't and I know Pelini doesn't. Bo's job is to coach, not to have sappy heart warming stories in the news. He doesn't give a rat's a## as to what people think of him, all he cares about is his task at hand, which is all that is really important. As long as Bo is successful and doesn't do anything illegal or destructive, i don't care how much of a jack wagon he may appear to be... He's doing his job and that's all that matters to me.

Who cares? i know I don't and I know Pelini doesn't. Bo's job is to coach, not to have sappy heart warming stories in the news. He doesn't give a rat's a## as to what people think of him, all he cares about is his task at hand, which is all that is really important. As long as Bo is successful and doesn't do anything illegal or destructive, i don't care how much of a jack wagon he may appear to be... He's doing his job and that's all that matters to me.

I agree.. BUT WHY OFFER IT TO THIS KID THEN?!?!

maybe he thought there would be a blow out.

Makes Bo look bad, but this writer seems to be trying to destroy Bo reputation.

Agreed. Anyone who really thinks that ANY coach would give just anyone the opportunity to call a play in a real game must be an idiot. I'm sure that this guy knew that it was tounge in cheek.

The bigger story here is that this hero of our country was all good with what happened, undertood that he didn't get his "chance," went about his business and was ok. This pathetic excuse for a hack just had to bring up that it was a "joke" and kind of ruined the whole experience for the guy. It embarrassed him and broke his spirit in regards to the game. What a POS.

Really? When was Pelini asked about this? Press conference? I am sure it was a joke, and probably meant to be one. I could see this on the 1st game of the year, but during a bowl game and with a struggling offense? He really should not have had that expectation in the first place. I am sure it was an honor for both teams to have a serviceman on their sidelines during the bowl game. I am sure he will get his wish and be on the sidelines when OSU comes to town next fall.

Don't know what is up with this story, but 'under attack' is right. I don't get it.

At first I was reading and thought, wow, that is a low blow from Pelini. And it is, if that's what he promised.

But the article gets more and more absurdly melodramatic. An extremely poor attempt by the author...not even sure what she was trying to go for. It's usually not a good idea for reporters to write with emotion. I have a feeling she got more caught up in the outrage - substantially more - than even the sailor's disappointment.

(edit) So she was the lady who asked that question in the presser, huh? That explains it. Was gonna say, this came outta nowhere.