Recruiting not going good

We are going to FINISH GREAT!!! We've got 16 solid guys on board. 10 of them are 4 stars. The other 6 are 3 stars with Kevin Williams, Ameer Abdullah being boarder line 4 stars. We've got a week left and it looks like DE Joseph Carter is a silent commit, and we've got a great shot at 62 yard K Maro Bondi, WR/DB Lockhart out of Florida, and 4 star DT Todd Peat Jr.. All we need is a Tight End and we are set to sail to the Big 10 championship!!!

• Fire 1

As some of you close to me know I am in management. One of my superiors said to me the other day that "The ones who go far are the ones who use their time wisely and ulitize people as a resource. We all have 24 hours in a day."

With that said we need to get more out of our staff in terms of recruiting.

Barney - stay home.

Marvin - he has an amazing nack for recruiting that does not get utilized near enough. Corey Cooper anyone?

Papuchis does way more than his fair share.

Watson - does not hit the road as hard as I would like him to.

Tim Beck - Does more than his fair share.

Gilmore - To be honest, he doesn't do too bad of a job coordinating how we go after kids. Holding his guys accountable is another issue.

Carl P - Does not hit the road as hard as we need him to.

New Linebackers coach has to be a JP or TB.

Bo Pelini should be doing what he is now. Sealing the deal with our recruits. What he needs to do better is hold his guys accountable for what happens. Recruiting never ends, I know that from personal experience, we need a 24/7 365 day a year job out of everybody accept Barney (idiot). That is how the big boys do it. For reference, Lane Kiffen is a moron, but the guy hits the road hard.

As some of you close to me know I am in management. One of my superiors said to me the other day that "The ones who go far are the ones who use their time wisely and ulitize people as a resource. We all have 24 hours in a day."

With that said we need to get more out of our staff in terms of recruiting.

Barney - stay home.

Marvin - he has an amazing nack for recruiting that does not get utilized near enough. Corey Cooper anyone?

Papuchis does way more than his fair share.

Watson - does not hit the road as hard as I would like him to.

Tim Beck - Does more than his fair share.

Gilmore - To be honest, he doesn't do too bad of a job coordinating how we go after kids. Holding his guys accountable is another issue.

Carl P - Does not hit the road as hard as we need him to.

New Linebackers coach has to be a JP or TB.

Bo Pelini should be doing what he is now. Sealing the deal with our recruits. What he needs to do better is hold his guys accountable for what happens. Recruiting never ends, I know that from personal experience, we need a 24/7 365 day a year job out of everybody accept Barney (idiot). That is how the big boys do it. For reference, Lane Kiffen is a moron, but the guy hits the road hard.

EZ, long time, good to see back around these parts. Anyways, I agree with everything. My take as far as the assistants is like this.

JP and Beck-Give them a raise and get out of their way. They are the head of the class and close most any deal. I think Beck will get even better when we start hitting his old stomping ground in Ohio next year even harder,

Sanders, is good like you said. He goes into a very difficult area to recruit alot of kids, the Chicago area. Most of those kids are bred Domers, Illini, or Michigan schools. I think as NU continues to pump out killer secondaries his reputation and success recruiting will only increase.

Carl recruits Cali I know, but that is about the only time you hear about him other than when he goes in home with Bo or other defensive staffers to try to close. I thinkwe will hear more about him as NU scours Ohio, a situation made easier next year by the Big X move.

Gilmore may coordinate the whole deal, but what has he really got NU? Also I feel that the slow down in the end of this cycle was due to really a poor inseason(being official visits) recruiting. Again he should be held accountable for this partially. He talks with big words but the response sucks.

Barney, enough said. He basically recruits Nebraska. I am not a fan of his as is. I think he could do more. The only thing he really has contributed to Nu recruiting is his seed.

LB coach agreed. I won't put Els, whoops did that come out, on the JP/Beck platform, but a gard worker.

Agree also on Kiffin, and boy he didn't hurt himself by bringing Orgeron on board with him.

All I know is this, BO will end up with his best class this year. Each year the class has improved over the last year. He made changes on who's recruiting where and who chasing which player. This staff is improving I'm looking to pick up 2 more 4 star players this week and 2 high 3's One more thing we have a balance team after 4 seasons.

• Fire 1

might want to reconsider your opinion of cotton's recruiting considering the OL is the best group in this class and he was apparently directly involved in landing 4 out of the 5.

Tyler Moore, Ryne Reeves, and Sterup were all going to come here anyways. I don't know how much you can really attribute that to Barney. After that, the other two were swayed by Moore and Reeves.

might want to reconsider your opinion of cotton's recruiting considering the OL is the best group in this class and he was apparently directly involved in landing 4 out of the 5.

Tyler Moore, Ryne Reeves, and Sterup were all going to come here anyways. I don't know how much you can really attribute that to Barney. After that, the other two were swayed by Moore and Reeves.

says who? nebraska has lost out on local kids in the past (and moore isn't truly even local). considering the big hitters that were after these three, i think it's pretty silly to assume that all NU had to do was open the door for them.

says who? nebraska has lost out on local kids in the past (and moore isn't truly even local). considering the big hitters that were after these three, i think it's pretty silly to assume that all NU had to do was open the door for them.

Had he gotten Westerman I would have been impressed, but Tyler Moore was not overly hard to sway this way. Legacy recruit.

Actually in interviews Reeves and Moore both had said that it was pretty much always gonna be NU. And I would hope Barney would do well with the instate kids because that is his primary recruiting area. Nebraska. Beck was Moore's primary recruiter. The one who started the whole process with Tyler since Day 1. Watson and Marvin Sanders were actually the main guys on Klachko. Of course once serious interest or a commitment is made the recruits position coach is gonna get involved. And of coures Ekler got NU Price.

Needless to say Barney did not have to do a lot with this OLine class. Now as mmmtodd pointed out he gets to try to outdo himself and actually get them to improve

Had he gotten Westerman I would have been impressed, but Tyler Moore was not overly hard to sway this way. Legacy recruit.

Agreed or even Hobbi, but again Ron Brown started as the lead recruiter there

rivals lists cotton as primary or co-primary for four of the five. i am certainly not a proponent of the accuracy of recruiting salesmen, but i don't know enough to say that they're wrong either.

i don't argue that we had a leg up on the two in-state kids and the legacy. but as i said before, we've seen plenty go elsewhere in the past, particularly when going against top schools. we've lost in-state kids to iowa and notre dame in the past and i don't know how you can call a kid a lock when florida and ohio state are after him.

cotton's area is nebraska and he locked down the top talent and helped seal a couple of other good linemen from elsewhere. what more were you expecting? he was directly involved with almost a third of our current commits (though hopefully that percentage will go down in the next week as we add more.) i'm not here to proclaim the guy as the next john blake, but when someone says something that is both incorrect and derogatory about one of our coaches, i am more than happy to set the record straight. the man has contributed more than his seed to this roster.

as to the cracks on his coaching ability (which doesn't have much to do with a discussion about recruiting), i agree that it's time to see more from his group. as i've mentioned before though, he was left an extremely thin roster and the OL finally took a demonstrable step forward in 2010, so i wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet.

(i will say that one area he continues to frustrate me is not rotating back-ups in more. you can't just count on garbage minutes against western kentucky to get your back-ups ready.)