Here's looking up your old address!!

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information:

Everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, address and home value, income, age.

Remove yourself by searching your name, find the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

Don't forget to look up your Boss before spreading the word.

call me paranoid, but the thing I hate about these sites is how they ask you for your e-mail in order to keep your information private!

"We'll remove all your information...if you provide us your e-mail"

I feel like I'm feeding them more information about me and only assuring them that I'm a real person and all my info is valid. Sort of bringing me to the top of their list.

The simple fix for that is to create a dummy email. All they're doing is sending you a confirm request via email, to which you respond, then ignore the email addy forever. I do that all the time.

The thing is, none of the stuff on that site isn't available online from public sources. County Assessor websites have all the info this site provides about your house - size, valuation, years of ownership, etc. Marriage/spouse/household information is public record, too. The stuff they want you to pay for is likely stuff they're gleaning from MySpace/Facebook or other social websites. Some of it could be cookie-oriented, too.

Telling this site to stop handing out your information does nothing to help your privacy. All this stuff is available via google if you know how to search. Anyone paying for info from this site or sites like it is kind of foolish.

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information:

Everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, address and home value, income, age.

Remove yourself by searching your name, find the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

Don't forget to look up your Boss before spreading the word.

Whats the link TB?

T_O_B

:bonesflag:

The simple fix for that is to create a dummy email. All they're doing is sending you a confirm request via email, to which you respond, then ignore the email addy forever. I do that all the time.

The thing is, none of the stuff on that site isn't available online from public sources. County Assessor websites have all the info this site provides about your house - size, valuation, years of ownership, etc. Marriage/spouse/household information is public record, too. The stuff they want you to pay for is likely stuff they're gleaning from MySpace/Facebook or other social websites. Some of it could be cookie-oriented, too.

Telling this site to stop handing out your information does nothing to help your privacy. All this stuff is available via google if you know how to search. Anyone paying for info from this site or sites like it is kind of foolish.

Good idea on the email account. I do the same thing. Pretty easy to find out whatever you want to know about someone from public record too.

I actually considered using a throwaway email..but was either too lazy, or thought maybe they already had my email adddress and were using it to confirm that "you is really you". Maybe I should try that with my Ex who is supposedly still living here and married to me.

Either way, I'm sposed to only get email from people in my address book in my inbox..until Juno caved and started also letting spamers get through to my inbox.

What's one more unwanted email among the gazillion I get an a monthly basis that I hardly never ever open my junk folder to acknoledge?

T.O.BULLy:

That site (www.spokeo.com) then really did send me an email with a link that erased me within seconds..I wish they made me lose some weight that fast.

im doing something wrong...all i find is a map with a little flag on it

Not sure if they sometimes have problems..I was showing it around at work today, but wasn't able to locate the button you press for removal..Maybe keep trying, or if there's only one or two of you, click on that flag.

I guess I'm also a professional drummer in Vegas???

(but I already suspected that having given my nephew an unstructional tape put out by "me" that I found by searching my name on ebay a decade? ago)

• 2 weeks later...