Fairley vs suh?!

On 'Around the Horn' yesterday both Woody Paige and Jackie MacMullen adressed this question and both agreed that SUH was far better than Fairly. MacMullan said 'Fairly is good but SUH is special.' 'SUH should be the Rookie of the Year not just the Defensive Rookie of the Year. He will be a preenial Pro Bowl player.'

T_O_B

:throwdabones1: :throwdabones1: :bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

Ya'll stressed too much over the comparison, if anything you all should be flattered. When a player comes out with the talent of a Suh then why would other great defensive linemen that are coming out of college not get compared? Nick Fairley is a handful on the field and gives a little extra, I am a huge Denver Broncos fan and would love to see him in a Denver uniform next season, that horrible defense could use someone that gives a little extra. Nick is a good kid, I have been on the sideline with him twice now when he was in highschool at Williamson High in Mobile, Al. He was very respectful and gracious but played and competed superhard. Give me someone like him that goes the extra mile every play over an Albert Haynesworth who is notorious about taking plays off.

The talking heads are pumping Fairly up just for something to talk about. His stats are pretty close to Suh's. But I don't think he dominates the games like Suh did. And I don't recall Fairley chasing down WRs from behind. Plus, the 52 solos tackles by Suh is an absolutely freaking unreal number for a DT getting double-teamed all year.

Fairley stats

11.5 sacks

60 tackles (36 solo)

24 TFL (106 yds)

24 QB hurries

2 forced fumbles

1 interception

Suh stats

12.0 sacks

85 tackles (52 solo)

20.5 TFL (93 yds)

19 QB hurries

1 forced fumble

1 interception

Nuance, now I know how tempting it was to compare the stats from Suh's senior year compared to Fairley's junior years stats like you did, but lets try again.

Fairley stats

11.5 sacks

60 tackles (36 solo)

24 TFL (106 yds)

21 QB hurries

2 forced fumbles

1 interception

Suh stats

7.5 sacks

76 tackles (39 solo)

16 TFL (85 yds)

6 QB hurries

1 forced fumble

2 interception

So with exception to tackles and solo tackles, which Suh barely edged out Fairley for solo tackles, Fairley's has far more impressive stats his junior year. And as another member mentioned, your team designed your defense around Suh so of course his numbers should be higher, although they aren't. Also take into consideration that Fairley played against much tougher opponents all year long in the SEC. You all can speculate all you want but the numbers don't lie.

So with exception to tackles and solo tackles, which Suh barely edged out Fairley for solo tackles, Fairley's has far more impressive stats his junior year. And as another member mentioned, your team designed your defense around Suh so of course his numbers should be higher, although they aren't. Also take into consideration that Fairley played against much tougher opponents all year long in the SEC. You all can speculate all you want but the numbers don't lie.

Since we're picking nits now, let me ask you - in his Junior year, how long had Fairley been in that system? In Suh's Junior year, how long had he been in that system?

Consistency is a nice luxury. One Suh didn't have, but Fairley did.

The weren't comparing Fairley this year to Suh as a junior - they were comparing him to Suh last year...in which case Suh wins hands down. A large portion of his praise is coming from the NC game. Suh was talked about that way for an entire season. Fairley perhaps could have been better than Suh - had he stayed, but he didn't so now we'll never know. Then again, had the Texas game been the MNC game we wouldn't be having this convo - because Suh's performance would have gone down in history and never been challenged.

...and numbers frequently lie - Nebraska has the 35th ranked offense - which is within 25 YPG of teams like Alabama, USC, Michigan St, Vigrinia Tech and Missouri. Did we look like our offense was comparable to Alabama's this year? NUMBERS.........lie.

The talking heads are pumping Fairly up just for something to talk about. His stats are pretty close to Suh's. But I don't think he dominates the games like Suh did. And I don't recall Fairley chasing down WRs from behind. Plus, the 52 solos tackles by Suh is an absolutely freaking unreal number for a DT getting double-teamed all year.

Fairley stats

11.5 sacks

60 tackles (36 solo)

24 TFL (106 yds)

24 QB hurries

2 forced fumbles

1 interception

Suh stats

12.0 sacks

85 tackles (52 solo)

20.5 TFL (93 yds)

19 QB hurries

1 forced fumble

1 interception

Nuance, now I know how tempting it was to compare the stats from Suh's senior year compared to Fairley's junior years stats like you did, but lets try again.

Fairley stats

11.5 sacks

60 tackles (36 solo)

24 TFL (106 yds)

21 QB hurries

2 forced fumbles

1 interception

Suh stats

7.5 sacks

76 tackles (39 solo)

16 TFL (85 yds)

6 QB hurries

1 forced fumble

2 interception

If you're going to play this game, you might as well compare Fairley's freshman stats to Suh's junior stats because everyone knows that Suh got absolutely zero coaching until he was a junior putting him on the same playing field as Fairley as a freshman.

Fairley stats

11.5 sacks

60 tackles (36 solo)

24 TFL (106 yds)

21 QB hurries

2 forced fumbles

1 interception

Suh stats

7.5 sacks

76 tackles (39 solo)

16 TFL (85 yds)

6 QB hurries

1 forced fumble

2 interception

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/1/11/1928305/fairleys-stats-lie-in-bcs-championship-game

While we're comparing juniors...(Crick is on pace to easily top Fairley next year)

Crick stats

9.5 sacks

70 tackles (36 solo)

17 TFL (92 yds)

10 QB hurries

1 forced fumble

0 interception

And while we are looking at numbers, since Suh had a VERY dominant 2 year run - what does Fairley's prior season look like? Maybe stats don't lie in this case. The better DT? SUH

Fairley 2009 stats

1.5 sacks

28 tackles (14 solo)

3.5 TFL (20 yds)

7 QB hurries

0 forced fumbles

0 interceptions

Fairley = 1 hit wonder.

nick-fairley-aaron-murray.jpg

Fairley is a good player, but Suh got his stats with offenses gameplanning against him by double and sometimes even triple teaming him. Watching the MNC, it looked like Oregon was manning up on him, and their were even times when he wasn't even blocked. I don't know how good he is against a double team, but I would rather have Suh on my team, I know Detroit isn't complaining.