Just Have To Say It

BIG ERN

Why do people base so much on a player by their 40 time, bench press, squat max, vertical, shuttle time, and all the other nonsense drills players are to do for NFL combine or judging a kid out of high school? Players need to be based more on how GOOD YOU ARE AT FOOTBALL. Niles Paul for instance has the perfect strength, size, and speed but I would take anyone who can catch and make smart plays. Not saying these things don't matter, but this isn't track, this is football. Start recruiting players who are good at it along with drafting them. AKA Dolphins are horrible at this year in and out(my fav. NFL team) and the Patriots find kids who wouldn't be picked for gym class who tear it up. FACT.

All other things being equal, recruits who are stronger, run faster, and jump higher tend to be better football players. The problem is, all other things are NOT equal. And very difficult to assess.

But some coaches seem to have a knack for finding hidden, undervalued gems. Like Belichick.

All other things being equal, recruits who are stronger, run faster, and jump higher tend to be better football players. The problem is, all other things are NOT equal. And very difficult to assess.

But some coaches seem to have a knack for finding hidden, undervalued gems. Like Belichick.

And Al Davis just looks for the fastest players.

I think assessing talent is a skill. I also think there are actually a lot of position coaches out there who aren't the best at it. You always want a guy who's fast and strong but football instincts and IQ (strength, football speed, leverage, the intangibles etc) can't be measured during a shuttle run or by a 40 time.

Yeah, you're right. Some coaches have that magic ability to find and/or coach up players that would be total busts for everyone else. I don't have a clue how they do it but somehow they get it done.

What gets me is people get all excited about the talent we get during recruiting. What talent????? none of those so called "studs" has even played in a D1 football game. Yet everybody is drooling over the fact that the kid is gonna be the next Hagg, Gomes, Prince or Suh.

I guess what Im saying I dont get why people get all excited over players that havent even hit the field yet.... ala Brion Carnes.

What gets me is people get all excited about the talent we get during recruiting. What talent????? none of those so called "studs" has even played in a D1 football game. Yet everybody is drooling over the fact that the kid is gonna be the next Hagg, Gomes, Prince or Suh.

I guess what Im saying I dont get why people get all excited over players that havent even hit the field yet.... ala Brion Carnes.

Ya but, Brion Carnes is gonna be our starter next year so I think that's reason enough to be excited about him. Possibly the second coming of T.F. chuckleshuffle

The difference is at least coaches and people have seen new recruits actually 'play'. Not sure what that has to do with a shuttle run or a 40 time like the OP was talking about.

Anyone who has seen Aaron Green play for example or even Brion Carnes play for that matter and categorizes them as 'just another recruit' especially given the level of HS competition they went up against probably wouldn't be too good at accessing talent. lol

Obviously neither have proven it on a D1 playing field yet but their talent is at least somewhat tangible when you can actually see it right in front of your eyes unlike you watching them run a 40 yard dash or a 10 yard shuttle run. Their skills are on display. That's why people get excited about them and their's nothing wrong with that.

Watching Tebow while he was at Florida says a lot for finding kids who are winners and can play the game. Scott Frost was that way, he threw passes like he was shot putting. Burkhead is a lot like this, we need to get an OC who recognizes this and gets him more touches. I seriously think the AnM and bowl games would have been alot different if Watts had called Rex's number a whole lot more. Another good reason to make sure Watson hits the road. Maybe we could offer to pick up half of his first years salary at the University of Phoenix, they have a great stadium. :sarcasm

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

The difference is at least coaches and people have seen new recruits actually 'play'. Not sure what that has to do with a shuttle run or a 40 time like the OP was talking about.

Anyone who has seen Aaron Green play for example or even Brion Carnes play for that matter and categorizes them as 'just another recruit' especially given the level of HS competition they went up against probably wouldn't be too good at accessing talent. lol

Obviously neither have proven it on a D1 playing field yet but their talent is at least somewhat tangible when you can actually see it right in front of your eyes unlike you watching them run a 40 yard dash or a 10 yard shuttle run. Their skills are on display. That's why people get excited about them and their's nothing wrong with that.

Obviously I know if your a better athlete you have more of a chance to be good. NFL scouts and coaches watch kids play for 4 years in college and still are fully swayed into the combine. DHB for the Raiders being the prime example of retarded, or the scouts not being able to decide between Suh and Gerald McCoy. Cmon Man!