NU v. Colorado

I realize it's early to start a CU thread, especially after such a game Saturday. However, Saturday I was out of town on business and was unable to watch the game (until a couple weeks ago I had planned on GOING to the game because I had seen KU play several times and believed NU could give them a good shot, then I found out about my trip so I asked someone to record the game for me and for some inexplicable reason they did not get most of the game recorded, so I have spent the past 30-some hours in a very piss-poor mood, but I digress...)and since I am not able to comment on what I saw with my own eyes, I'm moving on to Tuesday.

This game against CU will tell us a LOT about this team. Forget for a minute that CU has just beaten Mizzou, KState in Manhattan, and OSU. A lesser team after a loss like Saturday and on a 3 day turn around could very easily lay an egg on Tuesday. From what I've seen all year from this team (20 point comeback, ISU resiliency, KU game-not that I actually saw it!), I really believe they have it in them to get over Saturday's game and get this must-win home game. To be completely honest, I could see Nebraska handling CU.

I hope to high heaven that Diaz does not start Tuesday. He's probably the only one that makes sense to start, but Doc has to make a point... the kid has sucked all 3 conference games (from what I hear about Saturday). Unfortunately, I don't believe he's the kind of kid that will respond to a benching.

A Nebraska win on Tuesday would be HUGE. 14-4 (2-2) with a win over a hot CU team, and two close losses to highly ranked teams going into a very winnable road game at TTech. If NU wins Tuesday, there is a very real chance that next Saturday you are 15-4 (3-2) going into a home game against a most-likely ranked aTm team. Wouldn't that be awesome?! But it has to start Tuesday. If this team comes out and plays flat and gets beat on their own court, well, the season could turn south fast. However, if they come out fighting and get a win like it's starting to look like they are capable of, look out, it's going to be a fun rest of the season.

I apologize for such a long post and don't blame any of you if you don't read it all. It's all this frustration from my situation Saturday, it still has me on edge... I'm not gonna be able to sleep again until Tuesday after I get to see a game.

Forgot to mention the 3 reasons I believe NU will win:

Colorado has not been the same team on the road... at all. They don't like to play defense that well. They get a great deal of scoring from one, sometimes two players. These 3 things favor Nebraska Tuesday. It's in Lincoln, and Doc does well against this style of team: CU will give Nebraska some easy points and NU will have a pretty good chance to shut down CU's offense (more so than most teams have anyway).

yeah, they really sucked it up on the road in manhattan, winning by what, like 10? they sucked when they couldnt shoot for crap against OSU and still hung 75 points-thats a lights out night for the big red. its classic NU bb so far this year, we saw the one game a year where Doc's style somehow surprises a top flight team early but cant finish against kansas. until this team figures out how to score points in the paint with regularity its .500 or below all over again.

im angry too.

If we find a way to limit Burks the way we shut down the Morris Twins in the first half on Saturday I believe we will win on Tuesday. Also agreed I think we should bench Diaz in favor of a smaller line-up or even start Almeida and plug up the middle. Even when Diaz tries to go up strong he can't and gets outmuscled and can't do anything. Tuesday will be a different day though and maybe, somehow the national limelight of the game being on ESPN2 will inspire him to show people what he can do. One can hope. :koolaid2:

yeah, they really sucked it up on the road in manhattan, winning by what, like 10? they sucked when they couldnt shoot for crap against OSU and still hung 75 points-thats a lights out night for the big red. its classic NU bb so far this year, we saw the one game a year where Doc's style somehow surprises a top flight team early but cant finish against kansas. until this team figures out how to score points in the paint with regularity its .500 or below all over again.

im angry too.

I never said they suck away from Boulder, I said they are a different team. Other than New Mexico (at Las Vegas, not in the Pit) and K-State, CU has not had a tough road game; they have had a couple tough home games. So with these stats I'm about to show you, you can't say "well duh, that's because they scheduled cream-puffs for home games and traveled to tough venues." At home, Colorado is winning with an average score of 89-67. What are they away from Boulder? They lose by an average of 76-78. And again, these numbers aren't that skewed by easy home games and a few tough road games. If you don't believe me, go look at their schedule. Say what you will about the altitude being a factor or just an excuse, teams do get winded up there and CU definitely takes advantage of that.

You talk about Kstate and OSU. OSU hasn't beaten anybody yet this season, other than Kstate. And speaking of Kstate, they haven't done much yet either. They beat VaTech, Gonzaga, Washington State - none of those is mega-impressive. They were smoked by Duke and Florida, and have lost to UNLV, OSU, and CU. It's impressive that CU has beat KSU and OSU, no doubt. But let's not make it out like they've beaten Ohio State and Syracuse.

As for your statement about Doc's one game that surprises a top flight team - give me a break. First off, that KU team knows how Nebraska plays by now, they weren't caught by surprise. Second, Doc has never had a game where his team went to a place as tough as the Phog and lost to the #3 team in the nation by 3 points. Don't even try to compare that to beating a #20 Kstate team at the Bob, or going up 4 on KU in the middle of the first half only to lose by 15. This game was different than any of those in the past.

The fact that you call this classic NU bball tells me you don't watch NU bball. Classic ball under Doc would be hanging in the game until 8-12 minutes left, then giving up a 19-2 run and eventually losing by 13 or more. That happened all the time the last few years. That's not what happened in Lawrence. This is not "classic NU bball," not even close.

im angry too.

I never said they suck away from Boulder, I said they are a different team. Other than New Mexico (at Las Vegas, not in the Pit) and K-State, CU has not had a tough road game; they have had a couple tough home games. So with these stats I'm about to show you, you can't say "well duh, that's because they scheduled cream-puffs for home games and traveled to tough venues." At home, Colorado is winning with an average score of 89-67. What are they away from Boulder? They lose by an average of 76-78. And again, these numbers aren't that skewed by easy home games and a few tough road games. If you don't believe me, go look at their schedule. Say what you will about the altitude being a factor or just an excuse, teams do get winded up there and CU definitely takes advantage of that.

You talk about Kstate and OSU. OSU hasn't beaten anybody yet this season, other than Kstate. And speaking of Kstate, they haven't done much yet either. They beat VaTech, Gonzaga, Washington State - none of those is mega-impressive. They were smoked by Duke and Florida, and have lost to UNLV, OSU, and CU. It's impressive that CU has beat KSU and OSU, no doubt. But let's not make it out like they've beaten Ohio State and Syracuse.

As for your statement about Doc's one game that surprises a top flight team - give me a break. First off, that KU team knows how Nebraska plays by now, they weren't caught by surprise. Second, Doc has never had a game where his team went to a place as tough as the Phog and lost to the #3 team in the nation by 3 points. Don't even try to compare that to beating a #20 Kstate team at the Bob, or going up 4 on KU in the middle of the first half only to lose by 15. This game was different than any of those in the past.

The fact that you call this classic NU bball tells me you don't watch NU bball. Classic ball under Doc would be hanging in the game until 8-12 minutes left, then giving up a 19-2 run and eventually losing by 13 or more. That happened all the time the last few years. That has not happened once this year. This is not "classic NU bball," not even close.

Actually this is exactly what happened during the Vandy game if you watched.

im angry too.

The fact that you call this classic NU bball tells me you don't watch NU bball. Classic ball under Doc would be hanging in the game until 8-12 minutes left, then giving up a 19-2 run and eventually losing by 13 or more. That happened all the time the last few years. That's not what happened in Lawrence. This is not "classic NU bball," not even close.

Actually this is exactly what happened during the Vandy game if you watched.

I did not know Vandy was in the same class as KU. Losing by 3 to KU in the Phog is not the same as losing to Vandy in the Puerto Rico Tipoff.

Edit: I see what you're saying now. Fixed it.

The fact that you call this classic NU bball tells me you don't watch NU bball.

backer, you know I have seen eye to eye with ya and enjoy your insight and perspective. So I am not jumping on ya just giving my two cents here with these two qoutes.

First let's think of what many of NU's fanbase probably thought about CU going into this year, 2 W's more than not and if anyone really says deferently they are lying. It IS impressive what they did in Manhatten and Stillwater. And the fact that KSU had Pullen really makes it impressive in my mind, this was a preseason Big XII favorite. I'll even throw the Mizzou win in with the road games, because of the style MU plays and their depth, the altitude excuse does not fly. Again it is impressive because of what the majority of people thought CU would be like.

Second, yes there still is a lot ugly "classic NU ball" traits that show there heads all to often still. Outside scoring, free throws, and giving up offensive rebounds. The rebounding was amazing for 3/4 the game against KU. Yes, I know they ended up out rebounding KU, but key pionts came off offensive boards down the stretch for KU. NU continually gets to the line less than opponents which kills, and no one on that team probably felt comfortable shooting that last tying attempt.

Now for CU. I like the chances for one reason. The pace of the game. CU scores a lot in transition usually hitting threes while the defense is scrambling. I see NU taking this away. Also I think that CU can't keep this up forever(I am one of the two Ws guys). They have no real huge inside presense, so hell Diaz may look like a JUCO player instead of a junior high schooler. Doc says it ain't a moral victory, but Saturday should do nothing but help this team gain confidence. I say NU by 12

And you thought your post was longwinded. Again enjoy the banter with ya.

The fact that you call this classic NU bball tells me you don't watch NU bball.

backer, you know I have seen eye to eye with ya and enjoy your insight and perspective. So I am not jumping on ya just giving my two cents here with these two qoutes.

First let's think of what many of NU's fanbase probably thought about CU going into this year, 2 W's more than not and if anyone really says deferently they are lying. It IS impressive what they did in Manhatten and Stillwater. And the fact that KSU had Pullen really makes it impressive in my mind, this was a preseason Big XII favorite. I'll even throw the Mizzou win in with the road games, because of the style MU plays and their depth, the altitude excuse does not fly. Again it is impressive because of what the majority of people thought CU would be like.

Second, yes there still is a lot ugly "classic NU ball" traits that show there heads all to often still. Outside scoring, free throws, and giving up offensive rebounds. The rebounding was amazing for 3/4 the game against KU. Yes, I know they ended up out rebounding KU, but key pionts came off offensive boards down the stretch for KU. NU continually gets to the line less than opponents which kills, and no one on that team probably felt comfortable shooting that last tying attempt.

Now for CU. I like the chances for one reason. The pace of the game. CU scores a lot in transition usually hitting threes while the defense is scrambling. I see NU taking this away. Also I think that CU can't keep this up forever(I am one of the two Ws guys). They have no real huge inside presense, so hell Diaz may look like a JUCO player instead of a junior high schooler. Doc says it ain't a moral victory, but Saturday should do nothing but help this team gain confidence. I say NU by 12

And you thought your post was longwinded. Again enjoy the banter with ya.

PC - Thanks for pointing a few things out here. Not that I necessarily agree with you, but I reread my posts and realize I didn't make things come across as I wanted them to.

Starting with your first paragraph. First off, OSU was @ Boulder not in Stillwater. I wasn't trying to take away from what CU has done, it is quite impressive and I doubt very much that Nebraska given the same schedule would have had their results. That being said, it seems some people are making CU to be this elite squad that came from nowhere. I was simply trying to point out that this is not the case. They are much better than most thought they would be, yes, but they aren't world beaters. And we're going to have to agree to disagree with the altitude. I'm not saying it makes a monstrous difference, but as you said CU likes to score out of transition. Like it or not, guys get winded easier in Boulder, CO than most places. That can EASILY account for two open 3's down the stretch. 6 points can make a noticeable difference.

Now for your second paragraph. You are absolutely correct. This team is still plagued by everything that has troubled it the last 4 years. I didn't make myself near clear enough here, I was fired up and didn't really think through/reread everything I wrote. My issue is with people saying that the KU game was the same story as every other loss. I disagree. It's a story from the same series, but still a different story. Yes you had weak inside play, poor perimeter shooting, lack of a go-to guy, missed clutch free throws, and ultimately no big play made when it needed to be. The point I was trying to make is that Nebraska has never been that close in such a tough position, and they certainly haven't fought to the end as strongly as they did in such an unfavorable position. The Phog is one of the toughest places to play and the opponent was one of the best in the nation. NU went down but fought back and with under a minute left had more than one chance to win the game or send it to OT. That's the point I was trying to get across. It was still a disappointing loss, and ultimately an L is an L no matter what and L's are unacceptable, but I can't bring myself to say "same story."

Love your CU analysis and prediction. Here's to hoping Diaz really does have somewhat decent game, maybe get a little bit of confidence. Lord knows this season would go a lot better if he were playing well.

Just thought of something I would like to see tomorrow. I would like to see Rayes Gallegos not attempt a 3 point shot. This kid has major confidence issues, I've never seen anything like it. He is over 50% coming off the dribble, but shooting a set shot he has looked awful. His misses aren't even close. From beyond the arc, Ray is an incredible 5-34 (.147).

What irritates me to no end is that Doc allows him to continue to launch away. In the Mizzou game, Ray put up a 3 with about 20 seconds left on the shot clock and completely bricked it. It's obvious that it's all in his head, I just can't figure out why he is allowed to shoot at any time. I don't care how well a guy shoots in practice, there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough and tell him that he needs to either attack or pass it. I'd love it if he could get over this, but since it doesn't look like that's happening I'd prefer he just stops trying. Give a pump fake, take a dribble and pull up, that's your high percentage shot, Ray.