2011 Pre-Season All-Big Ten

BIG ERN

Great off-season topic!

At DT I might go with Mike Martin at Mechicken instead of Mike Daniels. Daniels is no Karl Klug.

As for center, Caputo did a great job of filling in at a position of need. He certainly did well enough to earn a scholly, which is tough for a walk-on to do. But Michael Brewster would likely be ahead of Caputo as Big 10 All conference center. (I don’t think Brewster is entering the NFL early, is he?)

Brewster is back and yes he has a better chance at All-Big 10 honors than Caputo (this was a dark horse pick for sure that has stirred some commotion, but debate is what these sites are for). As for Daniels I see him having a break out season after Iowa losing the rest of their d-line. Daniels is very athletic and has broken many weight lifting records at Iowa, but needs to work on using his arms and better footwork.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but not having Brewster as the best center is kind of disrespectful to him. Especially with Caputo, who was blown up time and time again (Just ask Martinez's ankle). In my opinion, I honestly think Brewster is the best center in the nation.

I am another guy in Camp Persa. He scares the hell out of me as a true dual threat more than Pryor or Shoelaces. Hopefully he fully recovers from the Achilles injury. Scheelhouse is gonna be a stud but probably checks in at number four at QB.

Also I will say that Craig Roh is gonna blow up huge next year for the maize and blue. Missed out on a good one

Why are people ripping on the Robinson pick? I understand if their offense changes drastically he could struggle, but the guy did win Offensive Player of the Year in the B10 this year and is returning with a year of experience... seems to be a reasonable pick to me.

For me it is not so much a knock on Robinson. Great runner and a good QB. Persa is a much better passer. More yards, completed 73%, threw only four picks to 15 TDs, and the thing is Persa missed that last three games with the Achilles injury. Yes Robinson blows him out of the water in rushing yards (on about 100 more carries)but he also has a better line and more skill position weapons around him. That is why I am a big Persa fan. He makes the most out of the hand he's dealt and right before he got hurt I think we were beginning to see him scratch the surface of how he can own a ball game for Northwestern(ie the Iowa game). Again this is just my personal pick, no way discrediting the OP or any others

Not a single defensive player from Ohio State?

That list is bunk.

Good point about the Buckeyes. They were clearly the class of the Big 10 defensively last year. They led the Big 10 in every major category: Rush Defense, Pass Defense, Total Defense and Scoring Defense. Only Nebraska would have beaten them in only one category: Pass Defense.

The Buckeyes had a pretty stout defense last year. They'll be a heck of a challenge in 2011.

That list is bunk.

Good point about the Buckeyes. They were clearly the class of the Big 10 defensively last year. They led the Big 10 in every major category: Rush Defense, Pass Defense, Total Defense and Scoring Defense. Only Nebraska would have beaten them in only one category: Pass Defense.

The Buckeyes had a pretty stout defense last year. They'll be a heck of a challenge in 2011.

Challenge for our offense? Pfff, not a chance - who you think you're kiddin? :sarcasm

Why are people ripping on the Robinson pick? I understand if their offense changes drastically he could struggle, but the guy did win Offensive Player of the Year in the B10 this year and is returning with a year of experience... seems to be a reasonable pick to me.

For me it is not so much a knock on Robinson. Great runner and a good QB. Persa is a much better passer. More yards, completed 73%, threw only four picks to 15 TDs, and the thing is Persa missed that last three games with the Achilles injury. Yes Robinson blows him out of the water in rushing yards (on about 100 more carries)but he also has a better line and more skill position weapons around him. That is why I am a big Persa fan. He makes the most out of the hand he's dealt and right before he got hurt I think we were beginning to see him scratch the surface of how he can own a ball game for Northwestern(ie the Iowa game). Again this is just my personal pick, no way discrediting the OP or any others

Great points. Going into his senior year if he can shake off that injury this may very well be his best season yet.

That list is bunk.

We would have probably had that bested as well had our entire secondary not been injured at some point.

That list is bunk.

Ya they lost 5 1st team All-Big 10 Seniors on defense alone, so yes-- LAST year was good. Who would be on there?

I'm not saying all these guys should replace who was named 1st team, but these guys definitely deserve recognition/consideration:

Line: Nathan Williams, John Simon, Jonathan Hankins

LBs: Andrew Sweat, Tyler Moeller

Secondary: CJ Barnett

Remember we lost all three of our LBs for the 2006 season. There was very little to no dropoff in talent at the LB position after that.

All the other positions might be in question, but at LB, Ohio State should always have at least one player at LB in any all Big 10 list.