TOP 50 Guitar RIFFS of ALL-TiME.. did your make the cut???

found it interesting....

FOR ALL DA SHRED HEADS....

For the most part, a pretty solid list (somebody at Spin listens to Slayer \m/)

But, it being spin, they had to add some crap ass indie band or worse, muse. AC/DC's worst riff, is better than anything White Stripes, Muse, Sleater Kinney, Nirvana or "Chic" ever came up with.(this blew my mind, a f'ing disco group, on this list)

Speaking of Nirvana, how in the hell isn't Soundgarden on there. At least Kym Thayil could play. Cobain is the Sid Vicious of guitar players. Dead and worthless.

And the other thing, some of the bands are kind of misrepresented by the riffs chosen. Van Halen, ZZ Top (how does "LaGrange" not make the list????), Joe Walsh (Rocky Mountain Way) should have had better songs on there.

And overall #1, is Back in Black. Simple, brilliant, still kicks ass much ass as it did 30 years ago, as it does today.

If you haven't figured out the only thing I may be more crazy about than Husker football, is music.

found it interesting....

But, it being spin, they had to add some crap ass indie band or worse, muse. AC/DC's worst riff, is better than anything White Stripes, Muse, Sleater Kinney, Nirvana or "Chic" ever came up with.(this blew my mind, a f'ing disco group, on this list)

Speaking of Nirvana, how in the hell isn't Soundgarden on there. At least Kym Thayil could play. Cobain is the Sid Vicious of guitar players. Dead and worthless.

And the other thing, some of the bands are kind of misrepresented by the riffs chosen. Van Halen, ZZ Top (how does "LaGrange" not make the list????), Joe Walsh (Rocky Mountain Way) should have had better songs on there.

And overall #1, is Back in Black. Simple, brilliant, still kicks ass much ass as it did 30 years ago, as it does today.

If you haven't figured out the only thing I may be more crazy about than Husker football, is music.

"AC/DC's worst riff..."

You mean they had more than one?

found it interesting....

Nirvana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Slayer.

Or, in lunatic Husker dialect:

Huskers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kaplan University

Slayer is the OK Soda of the brainless head smash music genre: eminently forgettable. :)

Nirvana's place in music history has always been wildly overblown. They're mediocre at best - they were just the first band to hit it big after the detritus of 80s hair bands had washed down the sewer. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and STP were all better representations of the genre.

As much as I like the music, the lyrics a band produces are more important - at least to me. The fact that Cobain made Bob Dylan sound like a language instructor is a huge knock against him for me.

Nirvana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Slayer.

Huskers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kaplan University

Slayer is the OK Soda of the brainless head smash music genre: eminently forgettable. :)

Wow, any credibility just left the building.

Kurt Cobain was a jackass. Shooting himself was the best thing that ever happened to Dave Grohl. He was the only talented one in the whole band, and even then we didn't know about it until that moron had been dead a couple years...

Kurt Cobain was a jackass. Shooting himself was the best thing that ever happened to Dave Grohl. He was the only talented one in the whole band, and even then we didn't know about it until that moron had been dead a couple years...

Funny, that's exactly what I thought when you started prattling on about "dead and worthless."

Last arrow fails to land, though. No rise garnered outta me this time...sorry.

(Dave Grohl is a good musician though, that much is true.)

Nirvana's place in music history has always been wildly overblown. They're mediocre at best - they were just the first band to hit it big after the detritus of 80s hair bands had washed down the sewer. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and STP were all better representations of the genre.

As much as I like the music, the lyrics a band produces are more important - at least to me. The fact that Cobain made Bob Dylan sound like a language instructor is a huge knock against him for me.

Fair enough. This stuff is all subjective anyways. I love Dylan and think he's brilliant, transcends music and entertainment to the point of altering society itself. (The quality of Bob's music is debatable: his influence is not.) My parents hate him and think all his songs sound the same. We're both absolutely correct when viewed from our own perspective.

To me, STP is a miniature Pearl Jam, and Pearl Jam is wildly overrated. Soundgarden is Outshined sometimes, unfairly. Great band. Chains was just a phenomenal band. Walksalone would certainly enjoy Jerry Cantrell's take on Kurt Cobain's guitar proficiency . (It wasn't complimentary.)

And I still believe Nirvana's musical and creative achievements tower above the four bands from that era that you mentioned. Some would agree, others not so much. As long as nobody tries to claim Ace of Base we should all be ok.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not much of a grunge fan, I could never undertand the supposed angst that bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam played about. But STP, SG, and Alice in Chains were much better bands.

Also, I could never understand the supposed "genius" behind Nirvana's lyrics. To me, it was just a bunch of nonsensical gibberish put to piss poor music. As Walksalone said, really only Dave Grohl had any sort of talent.

The funny thing about "Smells like Teen Spirit" making that list is that they stole that riff from a band that actually had some musical talent. They sampled Boston's "More Than a Feeling" (a truly great song) to make their crappy song.

I've had the "Nirvana is great/Nirvana sucks" debate with several people over the years. About lost a buddy over it once. :) Nebula, you're definitely correct in that music is in the ear of the beholder. I listen to a pretty eclectic range of music. Right now on my MP3 player I have RATM, the Stones, The Cure, Pink Floyd, AIC, Mudhoney, U2, Annie Little, Beastie Boys and Kylie Minogue (Can't Get You Out Of My Head ROCKS!), among others. I think a lot of folks would like a lot of the stuff I have, and plenty would be horrified by some of it. Works for me, though.

Funny, that's exactly what I thought when you started prattling on about "dead and worthless."

Last arrow fails to land, though. No rise garnered outta me this time...sorry.

(Dave Grohl is a good musician though, that much is true.)

Who's Slayer?

I must remember to YT it/them.

I like Dave Grohl, but I never understood the hate for Cobain.

I would've loved to hear what they could have come up with next.

First "grunge" song I remember was probably by the Kingsmen (Louie x 2)

Very simple lyrics, and hard to determine, but still a great song.

And anyway, what do Lyrics have to do with guitar riffs?

First "grunge" song I remember was probably by the Kingsmen (Louie x 2)

Very simple lyrics, and hard to determine, but still a great song.

And anyway, what do Lyrics have to do with guitar riffs?

Nebula kind of steered the conversation into general music, not just riffs, and I was responding to that.