TOP 50 Guitar RIFFS of ALL-TiME.. did your make the cut???

I would say a "Hook" is more of this

In music and songwriting, a hook is any device that makes a song memorable, especially upon first listen. Hooks may be lyrical or musical. Usually non-guitar IMO.

A few example would be Bitch from Rolling stones, (trumpets/brass playing the repetitive line),Bakers Street Gerry Rafferty (wicked Saxophone) Centerfold J. Geils (Synthesizer), Bobby Mcferrin dont worry be Happy (Vocals), plus many rap songs thrive on vocal/ instrumental "Hooks"

A "Riff" to me is usually a guitar or bass combination of chords,that repeats and drives a song, such as most of the ones from my previous list.

somehow the discussion in this thread came up when i was talking to my uncle (who taught me guitar, and is a rocker thru and thru) and he brought up a couple interesting thoughts.

he went on and on because him and guitar are one in the same, but this stood out to me the most and makes a lot of sense.

arena rock=riffs

so i got curious/argumentative even tho i agreed as thats my nature and snapped HERE, because wiki is easy...and it made even more sense...look at the bands/description listed under the history section.

Wow, any credibility just left the building.

Kurt Cobain was a jackass. Shooting himself was the best thing that ever happened to Dave Grohl. He was the only talented one in the whole band, and even then we didn't know about it until that moron had been dead a couple years...

Lonewalker..I appreciate a lot of your taste in music, but I'm surprised you feel this way about Kurt and Dave.

I like Dave Grohl's work with the Foo, (I was raised by drummers and almost always root for them whenever I can), But to me..It's almost too radio friendly.

I liken it to the Beatles..The first decade or so after they broke up, you couldn't tune in a radio station without hearing a Paul McCartney song..they were all pretty catchy..but they mostly seemed to have a relatively short shelflife..I can't listen to them anymore..But the John Lennon songs...Some were just hideous..'specially when Yoko started squarking? but there seems to be quite a few, I still enjoy listening to.

I used to feel Bob Dylan was way over rated and sometimes still picture Floyd the Barber when I hear his voice..But I'd sure miss the influence he had on others if he never existed..Same with Nirvana..I doubt I'll feel that way about the Foo Fighters even though I'm sure my Dad loved them when he was flying over Tokyo in the early '40s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKT1P7x_Pzo&feature=feedlik

Jerry Cantrell's take on Kurt Cobain's guitar proficiency

Where's Beaumont?

In Texas?

Actually...Now that you mention it..I DID lose my old Pioneer Supertuner 8-Track player along with my matching Pioneer Supertuner ccassette player when my car got stolen in Austin.

I think...maybe...he's in the trunk of a car in LA. (Did you ever see Jackie Brown? Quality Tarantino flick, and Strawberry Letter 23 is in it during one of the best scenes in the movie.)

I completely agree with your take on the Foo Fighters, too. I respect their musical abilities, and they have some songs that I could hum along to. But they are too poppish for my tastes, really. Like you said, too radio friendly.

I read in some book, (the one by Legs McNeill, maybe?) where they said that this song was the default audition piece for all aspiring punk guitarists back in the heyday of the Clash, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Ramones, ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQQ-Yxfr4o

Wow, any credibility just left the building.

Kurt Cobain was a jackass. Shooting himself was the best thing that ever happened to Dave Grohl. He was the only talented one in the whole band, and even then we didn't know about it until that moron had been dead a couple years...

Lonewalker..I appreciate a lot of your taste in music, but I'm surprised you feel this way about Kurt and Dave.

I like Dave Grohl's work with the Foo, (I was raised by drummers and almost always root for them whenever I can), But to me..It's almost too radio friendly.

I liken it to the Beatles..The first decade or so after they broke up, you couldn't tune in a radio station without hearing a Paul McCartney song..they were all pretty catchy..but they mostly seemed to have a relatively short shelflife..I can't listen to them anymore..But the John Lennon songs...Some were just hideous..'specially when Yoko started squarking? but there seems to be quite a few, I still enjoy listening to.

I used to feel Bob Dylan was way over rated and sometimes still picture Floyd the Barber when I hear his voice..But I'd sure miss the influence he had on others if he never existed..Same with Nirvana..I doubt I'll feel that way about the Foo Fighters even though I'm sure my Dad loved them when he was flying over Tokyo in the early '40s.

The Beatles were the worlds first boy band.

The Foo are good, but I preferred his Probot album and his work with his first band, called Scream. They were a punk band from DC, and they freakin rocked.

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of Cobain. He was a decent songwriter. But when you put him up next to good song writers, then you can see the inadequecies.

The one Nirvana song I do like, they didn't even write.

The Foo are good, but I preferred his Probot album and his work with his first band, called Scream. They were a punk band from DC, and they freakin rocked.

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of Cobain. He was a decent songwriter. But when you put him up next to good song writers, then you can see the inadequecies.

sub·jec·tive  [suhb-jek-tiv]

–adjective

1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective)

2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

In your view of reality, that's true. Kurt wasn't a talented songwriter. You, however, don't own the lone portal to our world of strange sentience. Therefore, Kurt was also, simultaneously, a brilliant songwriter. Ad infinitum.

That's a pretty good line on The Beatles.

sub·jec·tive  [suhb-jek-tiv]

–adjective

1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective)

2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

In your view of reality, that's true. Kurt wasn't a talented songwriter. You, however, don't own the lone portal to our world of strange sentience. Therefore, Kurt was also, simultaneously, a brilliant songwriter. Ad infinitum.

That's a pretty good line on The Beatles.

Cobain was a talented songwriter for the that time (1990-1993) He influenced a lot of "i am just a sad lonely boy, but being famous makes me sadder" songwriters out there. I do like Nirvana, but when you start comparing them to other bands that has had decades of success and changed with the times is where I see an argument against them. As anti-rockstar as Cobain was, I just don't see him putting out the same kind of music today if he were alive and still have the success. I think they would have drowned out like most early-mid 90's grunge bands did.