TOP 50 Guitar RIFFS of ALL-TiME.. did your make the cut???

personaly i think you have to put aside musical preference when looking at such a list and listen with unbaised... nirvana music isnt the same as SLayer and so forth and thus attract diffrent points of view....

for one i really like nirvana because i like catchy poppy kinda rock and i felt really bad for KC... on the other hand i hate slayer as they say nothing to me and it just doesnt sound very good.. so its just preference i guess

thats what makes like these list soo fun :corndance

I would have kicked some of the disco , and oddball stuff (Bottom 5) off there but pretty solid list.I might add some of these instead. Man in the box- Alice in Chains, Livin after Midnight - Judas Priest, You could be mine, Rocket Queen, My Michelle,etc - Guns N Roses (Slash = Awesome). Lots better Rage Against the machine rifs than that IMO Renegades of Funk, Testify, Ghost of T.J etc. Not a huge Nirvana fan but Teen Spirit, In Bloom, and Come as you are, all had solid riffs to them. Bad to the Bone - George Thourogood, Cat scratch fever, and Stranglehold - Ted Nugent , My Sharona - The Knack etc. I definitely like a harder edge to the riff, and some of their list have been so overplayed i cant stand to hear them any more.

I would have kicked some of the disco , and oddball stuff (Bottom 5) off there but pretty solid list.I might add some of these instead. Man in the box- Alice in Chains, Livin after Midnight - Judas Priest, You could be mine, Rocket Queen, My Michelle,etc - Guns N Roses (Slash = Awesome). Lots better Rage Against the machine rifs than that IMO Renegades of Funk, Testify, Ghost of T.J etc. Not a huge Nirvana fan but Teen Spirit, In Bloom, and Come as you are, all had solid riffs to them. Bad to the Bone - George Thourogood, Cat scratch fever, and Stranglehold - Ted Nugent , My Sharona - The Knack etc. I definitely like a harder edge to the riff, and some of their list have been so overplayed i cant stand to hear them any more.

Good stuff - except Thoroughgood. I've never been a fan.

I know this is kind of an oddball song here, but has anyone ever heard the guitar intro to The Kiss by The Cure? I've always dug this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bIbLQTtD28

Fair enough. This stuff is all subjective anyways. I love Dylan and think he's brilliant, transcends music and entertainment to the point of altering society itself. (The quality of Bob's music is debatable: his influence is not.) My parents hate him and think all his songs sound the same. We're both absolutely correct when viewed from our own perspective.

To me, STP is a miniature Pearl Jam, and Pearl Jam is wildly overrated. Soundgarden is Outshined sometimes, unfairly. Great band. Chains was just a phenomenal band. Walksalone would certainly enjoy Jerry Cantrell's take on Kurt Cobain's guitar proficiency . (It wasn't complimentary.)And I still believe Nirvana's musical and creative achievements tower above the four bands from that era that you mentioned. Some would agree, others not so much. As long as nobody tries to claim Ace of Base we should all be ok.

Because Jerry Cantrell is the f*cking man. Alice in Chains might be one of the best bands of the 90's. They could write songs, both beautifully haunting and pretty freaking heavy. They deserve more props than they currently recieve.

• Fire 1

Good stuff - except Thoroughgood. I've never been a fan.

Not a big fan either, but he has some well written catchy riffs in a few of his songs. Gear jammer,Who do You love,I drink alone etc.

A few more i thought of. Our time is Now - Story of the Year, (Beginning and end), Show me how to live - Audioslave , (First minute or so til Cornell starts shreikin), 2 minutes to Midnight - Iron Maiden, and Smokin - Boston. never heard that Cure song before.

I was thinking about some of the great riffs this list has missed...

Mountain - Mississippi Queen

Clutch - Electric Worry

Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie

Fugazi - Waiting Room

Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do

Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy

Megadeth - Peace Sells

Cheap Trick - Surrender

How in the hell aren't any of those on the list????

Some of my favs that didnt make the 'cut.'

Cream - White Room- One of the few songs I look forward to using my wah on.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

Judas Priest- You Got Another Thing Comin

Steve Miller Band- The Stake

Drivin N Cryin- Fly Me Courageous

Yeah, "You Got Another Thing Comin'" may be my favorite JP song ever.

It's spin though, so you know you've got to have at least 10 or so halfassed indie bands that'll make some indie geek feel validated for what he's listening to.

I've had the "Nirvana is great/Nirvana sucks" debate with several people over the years. About lost a buddy over it once. :) Nebula, you're definitely correct in that music is in the ear of the beholder. I listen to a pretty eclectic range of music. Right now on my MP3 player I have RATM, the Stones, The Cure, Pink Floyd, AIC, Mudhoney, U2, Annie Little, Beastie Boys and Kylie Minogue (Can't Get You Out Of My Head ROCKS!), among others. I think a lot of folks would like a lot of the stuff I have, and plenty would be horrified by some of it. Works for me, though.

You lost me at "The Cure"! :lol:

Here are some of my favorite guitar riffs:

Eagles - Hotel California (might be my favorite song of all time)

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (I'm not sure how this one didn't make their list)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

Judas Priest - Hellion (cracks me up that the new Honda Odyssey commercial features that song)

Guns N Roses - Paradise City (the last two minutes of the song is basically Slash blowing peoples' minds with his solo. Absolutely crazy stuff.)

I have lots more, but these are just a few that make me break out the air guitar from time to time :horns2

the list is what i expected for a list like this. Don't understand how the White Stripes made the list compared to others on there. There is way more better riffs then that garbage!

Walksalone- Agree with your Nirvana statements, if Cobain was still alive they would be irrelevant and still be reaching for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" fame, and Grohl would have left the band anyways...