TOP 50 Guitar RIFFS of ALL-TiME.. did your make the cut???

the list is what i expected for a list like this. Don't understand how the White Stripes made the list compared to others on there. There is way more better riffs then that garbage!

Walksalone- Agree with your Nirvana statements, if Cobain was still alive they would be irrelevant and still be reaching for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" fame, and Grohl would have left the band anyways...

On point with the White Stripes observation. It just makes me sick that magazines like Spin, or Rolling Stone annoint crap bands like the White Stripes, Coldplay or Radiohead, all time great bands. They're average at best. Radiohead had one song that was decent, and it doesn't remotely sound like anything else they've ever done. Coldplay has that annoying f'ing song that is played constantly, where the f'n piano sounds like it's on a loop for 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Those are great bands with great songs? Complete and utter BS.

And U2 for that matter, sucks big time now as well. After the Joshua Tree, they started sucking harder than Anna Nicole Smith trying to snuff a senior citizen. They tried to be the Clash, they failed, so they put out a "techno" record.

The aforementioned bands are for the avant garde, yambag sniffing, we know great music, you know d*ck crowd.

I'll stick with my bands that 90% of the planet haven't heard of, like Clutch, Opeth, DOWN, D.R.I., etc....

the list is what i expected for a list like this. Don't understand how the White Stripes made the list compared to others on there. There is way more better riffs then that garbage!

Walksalone- Agree with your Nirvana statements, if Cobain was still alive they would be irrelevant and still be reaching for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" fame, and Grohl would have left the band anyways...

On point with the White Stripes observation. It just makes me sick that magazines like Spin, or Rolling Stone annoint crap bands like the White Stripes, Coldplay or Radiohead, all time great bands. They're average at best. Radiohead had one song that was decent, and it doesn't remotely sound like anything else they've ever done. Coldplay has that annoying f'ing song that is played constantly, where the f'n piano sounds like it's on a loop for 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Those are great bands with great songs? Complete and utter BS.

And U2 for that matter, sucks big time now as well. After the Joshua Tree, they started sucking harder than Anna Nicole Smith trying to snuff a senior citizen. They tried to be the Clash, they failed, so they put out a "techno" record.

The aforementioned bands are for the avant garde, yambag sniffing, we know great music, you know d*ck crowd.

I'll stick with my bands that 90% of the planet haven't heard of, like Clutch, Opeth, DOWN, D.R.I., etc....

Jack White shreds

Maybe folks should be questioning your credibility.

• Fire 1

i think most are missing the point of a 'riff.'

its not the solo's, guys. a riff is a short, repetitive piece of music.

its those songs that when you go to hum them, its the three or four notes that come out...over and over again.

walk down the street and ask someone to hum a rock song...is it gonna be a white stripe or nirvana song? ask them to hum an AC/DC, or a rolling stone, song. who is going to get more 'hits' to use modern day language?

Jack White shreds

Maybe folks should be questioning your credibility.

Not sure if Jack White, "shreds"...

Billy Gibbons, Alex Skolnick, Dimebag, Joe Satriani, Zakk Wylde, Eddie Van Halen, Richie Blackmore...

Those guys shred

I thought I was the only one that ever bought a D.R.I album! :lol:

I went through a half dozen copies of "Dealing With It" when I was in high school. If you want misplaced teenage aggression, that was your album.

Funniest thing is, i'm going to go see them in a month.

nice! it would be sweet to see them play "Acid Rain" live. Man did that song used to get me jacked up!

I went through a half dozen copies of "Dealing With It" when I was in high school. If you want misplaced teenage aggression, that was your album.

Funniest thing is, i'm going to go see them in a month.

nice! it would be sweet to see them play "Acid Rain" live. Man did that song used to get me jacked up!

I saw them last year, first song of their encore...

Now thats a killer riff

i think most are missing the point of a 'riff.'

its not the solo's, guys. a riff is a short, repetitive piece of music...

Good point..I'm still a little unsure.

I spent 4 hours Thursday night compiling a list that was probably around 125 with youtube links (I have no life).

And started to realize I was just searching my fav. artists for rifs..Santana's-"Europa", Bob Marley for "Redemption Song", about ahalf dozen Led Zep songs..I could name 50 songs / riffs by ZZ Top that were tons better than that awfull Sharp Dressed Man that was included in Spin's list...then my computer went blank.

I can't even come up with only 50 of my fav's let alone come up with a way that any one is "better" than the others.

I just know the 1st song I plan to teach myself to play if I ever get around to figuring out how to tune my Fender Strat is

And..if I ever get a bass..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2uGxHoYH3Y

I'm like 3 days older than Valerie Bertinelli, so I was a little surprised that there were only 11 bands/songs on that list that I've never heard of before.

But even so..White Stripes, Nirvana, Slipknot, Alice In Chains, Chris Cornell, and especially Tool have put out some of my favourite music in the last decade or three.

I don't understand why all the hatred for bands like White Stripes, Nirvana, or U2 even though every album I've bought since "Rattle and Hum" has really pissed me off.

They might not be "All Time Great" worthy, but compaired to what that kid in the Cubs uniform posts in the "What-r-U-Listining-to" thread..It's deffinitely worthy of mention.

I'm like 3 days older than Valerie Bertinelli, so I was a little surprised that there were only 11 bands/songs on that list that I've never heard of before.

But even so..White Stripes, Nirvana, Slipknot, Alice In Chains, Chris Cornell, and especially Tool have put out some of my favourite music in the last decade or three.

I don't understand why all the hatred for bands like White Stripes, Nirvana, or U2 even though every album I've bought since "Rattle and Hum" has really pissed me off.

They might not be "All Time Great" worthy, but compaired to what that kid in the Cubs uniform posts in the "What-r-U-Listining-to" thread..It's deffinitely worthy of mention.

Rattle & Hum/Joshua Tree were kind of the death knell for U2, for my dollar. Once they put out Zooropia, or what ever the hell it was called, they kinda fell on their ass.

The other two, (white stripes/nirvana) get hyped by kids for the most part that have never heard Peter Frampton, Jimmy Page, Jimmi Hendrix, Tony Iommi (Riffmaster General), Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Leslie West, and the list could go on and on and on...

Rattle & Hum/Joshua Tree were kind of the death knell for U2, for my dollar.

Agreed. U2's best stuff was pre-Joshua Tree. I like Joshua Tree, and I find many of the songs quite sing-able. I sing 'Running To Stand Still' to my daughter as a lullaby. I wonder how she's gonna feel about that when she grows up and finds out daddy was singing her a bedtime song about heroin addiction? :)