Overreaction

Hercules

I'm posting this article because I feel it's pretty similar to what I'm currently seeing on this message board. Sam McKewon writes that the spread offense is beginning to fade:

link

While the spread thrived this year at Oregon and Auburn, a sloppily-played national championship game proved that timing problems aren't merely left to the WCO. The Tigers' defense, not its offense, secured the national title for War Eagle. And one excellent defensive tackle – Auburn's Nick Fairley – blew up Oregon's offense much like Ndamukong Suh shamed Texas in the 2009 Big 12 Championship.

Despite the fact that teams with spread option offenses have won four of the last five national championships, McKewon apparently doesn't think they're that effective. He says they are systematically unsound because they lack the ability to score points in the red zone, even though Oklahoma State's passing spread offense led the nation in red zone scoring this year (link), and even though EVERY offense has a harder time moving the ball in the red zone than on any other part of the field.

He indicts Auburn's and Oregon's offenses' performances in the national championship game. Last I checked, Auburn went undefeated in the SEC (pretty tough road...) with their spread offense, and Oregon played them to the final seconds, losing a nail-biter 22-19. By the way people talked about that game, you'd think the score was 3-0. I mean, 22-19 is a pretty normal score for the national championship game. Did Nebraska lose to Florida State 18-16 in 1993's national championship game because Tom Osborne's offense was fundamentally unsound, or was it maybe just a matter of they were a hair short of being the best team in the country?

I know Nebraska finished the season in a slump. But people are questioning whether Bo Pelini is really good head coaching material when his start has been roughly equal to Osborne's first three years, and Osborne inherited a national championship contender while Pelini inherited a pushover.

I'll be the first to say that as of right now, I don't think Watson is a good fit for the spread option offense we're trying to run. At the same time, he knows infinitely more about football than I do, and next year's offense isn't going to be the lousy doormat we saw in the Holiday bowl. All of our coaches (Watson included) are smarter than that, and they've got an entire offseason to try to work out the kinks.

2011 Nebraska has a tough schedule, and they have some problems they need to fix. But they return three all-conference players on defense along with plenty of talent to fill out the rest of the Blackshirts. Nebraska returns a starter at QB who as a freshman was a borderline Heisman candidate before he got hurt, they return RB Rex Burkhead, Kyler Reed at TE, and they should have better depth on the offensive line.

• Fire 2

Last I checked, Auburn $cam Newton went undefeated in the SEC (pretty tough road...) with their spread offense, and Oregon played them to the final seconds, losing a nail-biter 22-19. By the way people talked about that game, you'd think the score was 3-0. I mean, 22-19 is a pretty normal score for the national championship game. Did Nebraska lose to Florida State 18-16 in 1993's national championship game because Tom Osborne's offense was fundamentally unsound, or was it maybe just a matter of they were a hair short of being the best team in the country?

I'll be the first ninety bajillionth to say that as of right now, I don't think Watson is a good fit for the spread option offense we're trying to run. At the same time, he knows infinitely more about football than I do, and next year's offense isn't going to be the lousy doormat we saw in the Holiday bowl. All of our coaches (Watson included) are smarter than that, and they've got an entire offseason to try to work out the kinks.

Fixed it for ya.

• Fire 2

Ive said this in other threads also. We are about 5 years late to spread zone read party. Yes it was cool back then because nobody could figure it out. Now, more teams have been able to slow it down because of bigger/faster kids on defense. Im not saying that was case 5 years ago, but you have to go out and recruit speed.

To me, the spread option will never be succesful at Nebraska because our offense does nothing else out of those formations to keep the defense guessing.

I think the Spread/Zone Read offense that we are after can be effective, but it requires a number of great athletes, nearly flawless execution at the LOS, and very strong playcalling. Something we lacked much of the time this year.

The power style offense that so many people clamor for is a little more forgiving since it requires less creativity in playcalling, and fewer of those "special" athletes on the offensive side of the ball.

The thing about Oregon is the fact that they had an AWESOME running back and some very good, fast, pass catching receivers. When the running game was getting shut down, they were able to pass for big yardage in a game - it sure made it easier for them to run the ball once their offense started moving the chains through the air.

Will Nebraska ever get all the pieces in place to be a great spread team? It's not an easy task to do. With some of the athletes we are bringing in it may help... but will it be enough to overcome sloppy offensive line play and suspect play calling?

it doesn't really matter what you are trying to run, if the guys up front can't execute, you can forget about it...we need to focus on the O line, big time...good bye Barney!!

^ What he said. No offense will work if your big guys get blown off the line. Or shucked aside by some DT on the way to the ball.

Overreaction is the same thing I thought when everyone was saying the West Coast was too soft for us (zone read still being hot and in fashion at the time). Spread - WCO - Power - Option - etc, etc, take your pick. I feel like we as a fanbase are doomed to cycle between these as the 'offensive style du jour' (even WCO is making a hell of a comeback among Husker fans thanks to Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck)...just so long as we get to complain about the current system, and tout the superiority of another one. For instance, after all those years of going ga-ga over spread option teams, many are decrying the zone read like it's a bubble screen and...well, asking for more bubble screens. :wacko:

• Fire 1

The Spread is going through what the option went through a few years ago. When both offenses, run properly, with appropriate personnel, both can be quite effective. But, as in life, sometimes a great defensive mind has the ability to exploit weaknesses in those offensive schemes.

The ability to adapt and make changes on the fly, is the sign of a great tactician.

Oregon's issue wasn't the offense, it was the fact that their QB threw two INT's on Auburns side of the field. Thats 14 points right there (assuming they score td's). That gives you a score in the 30's. They also got stuffed from the 2 yard line, its not like it was completely ineffective. They were moving the ball fine

The Spread is going through what the option went through a few years ago. When both offenses, run properly, with appropriate personnel, both can be quite effective. But, as in life, sometimes a great defensive mind has the ability to exploit weaknesses in those offensive schemes.

The ability to adapt and make changes on the fly, is the sign of a great tactician.

that's a pretty good point, the evolution of offenses that are popular is necessary, as defenses begin to be designed to reduced the effectiveness of whatever scheme is in vogue at the moment.....

It's all about preparation. Dr. Tom learned that in the late 80's/early 90's and changed how the team practiced prior to bowl games. In most offenses, timing is crucial.

As for the zone read/spread in the red zone, when we ran WCO exclusively, it had more than it's fair share of red zone issues. Commonly had to throw the ball from the 2 to score a td.

When I watched the BCS MNC game, it looked like (and I could be wrong) the zone read could be run with power blocking schemes. I just hope that if changes are not made, this offense can find some continuity.

Oregon's issue wasn't the offense, it was the fact that their QB threw two INT's on Auburns side of the field. Thats 14 points right there (assuming they score td's). That gives you a score in the 30's. They also got stuffed from the 2 yard line, its not like it was completely ineffective. They were moving the ball fine

You say it wasn't an offensive problem, and then go on to point out problems with the offense. Oregon's defense and special teams certainly didn't get stuffed at the 2 yard line or throw those picks.