Corey Raymond CB coach from Indiana has joined the NU staff.

I am sorry, but this needed to be addressed TODAY. The cat is out of the damn bag. They recruits should have been in the know otherwise it kinda goes against everything Bo stresses when it comes to recruiting. Being open, straight forward, and being sure of a commitment. This is utter BS.

You have no clue what Bo has said to the recruits about the coaching staff. So to make a statement that says this goes against Bo's integrity is completely off base unless your definitely in the know.

I have read an article where Bubba was even asked "would he still commit if Watson was gone?". His response was "I am sure that NU would bring a coach that would put me in the right direction". (something to that effect, can't remember the exact).

Bo was straight forward in saying:

On if there are changes coming if that is a problem to not inform the recruits

"No, not at all. In the end, I'm still the head coach. There's always going to changes. I shouldn't say always, but there's going to be changes. It happens. It's part of the deal. I know there's a trust there. The young men trust me, they trust the staff and they trust the University of Nebraska. They're going to be coached in such a way that they're going to be very happy with. I talk about trust and I believe that's a big part of it."

So lets not try to get all high and mighty about the way Bo is doing things. We received excellent players this day and I am sure that Bo did it the right way or he knows that later on he would regret it if those players didn't make the starting cut.

Gray matter began to ooze into the picture shortly before Pelini's midafternoon teleconference, when new Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson, during his own signing day news conference, revealed that Hoosiers assistant coach Corey Raymond was leaving to coach the secondary at Nebraska.

So what becomes of Marvin Sanders? His work with the Nebraska secondary has been exemplary. He coached arguably the best secondary in the nation this past season. However, two sources told me recently that Sanders may face disciplinary action by the school for a nonfootball issue. Asked if NU had taken any action against Sanders, athletic director Tom Osborne said at the time he didn't have any information.

LINK

So it wasn't Wilson that let the cat out of the bag that some members on here are blasting towards him. Facts people before trying to hang someone. Remember innocent before proven guilty.

Listening to Mitch Sherman (OWC Sports Reporter) on the Jack & John show this AM. Lots of speculation, of course, but they opined that perhaps the reason UNL didn't hold a presser yesterday to announce the recruits – something they've done every year throughout the modern era – was because Bo wasn't even in Lincoln, which would also explain his absence at the banquet last night. They speculate that Bo was out on the hiring trail, talking to candidates who may be filling empty coaching positions.

Mitch speculates that Indiana broke the news about Raymond early as a "back at ya" move to Nebraska, since the Huskers hinted that Ekeler was going to coach the Hoosiers about three days before they were ready to announce his move. So maybe Wilson's disclosure wasn't an accident?

Sherman also says that whatever is going on with Marvin Sanders, it's a different situation than what's going on with Gilmore and Watson (the other two guys who didn't attend the dinner last night). Sanders' departure – if it happens – isn't a football-related issue. He thinks we find out sooner rather than later. J&J interviewed Sanders late last season and they felt he was happy and excited to stay. Sherman talked to Sanders at the Bowl Game, and had the same impression. Sherman says Sanders wanted to spend the rest of his career here, and was devastated when the staff was broken up in 2003. It's a strange deal with whatever is going on with Sanders, and this situation is the strangest of all that's gone on this week.

Apparently we're looking at replacing nearly half the staff. Sometimes change is good, and especially on offense something fresh could be good to get us out of the doldrums. Defensively it's a different story and its' a gamble to bring in a new secondary coach. If you mess up your chemistry between coaches and players you could have problems. You just have to hope the players hit it off with the new coach.

Sherman speculates that we could have a Co-Offensive Coordinator, and it could involve Beck ,who had a lot to do with the offense Mangino ran at Kansas with Todd Reesing.

Sherman has no idea how long this process will take. He says he has to work on timelines, but notes that Bo doesn't. There's no reason not to make the moves that you're going to make, though. Hopefully, so we can stop the speculation, it's over soon. It may be pushing it to make the moves by the end of this week, but maybe sometime next week.

J&J think that the timeline will be pushed up because of the disclosure by Wilson yesterday. But who knows.

________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT - Edit to point out that everything in this post (aside from this edit) is a reasonably accurate paraphrase from the Jack & John interview with Mitch Sherman, and NONE of it is my speculation or opinion.

Sherman speculates that we could have a Co-Offensive Coordinator, and it could involve Beck ,who had a lot to do with the offense Mangino ran at Kansas with Todd Reesing.

This is a bit like saying Frost has a lot to do with Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon.

Okay, maybe more than a bit, but I think Mitch is speculating completely on Beck's title as passing game coordinator. It was still Mangino's show. Even a guy with the OC title there, you would've said, "yeah, but it was Mangino's show."

Apparently we're looking at replacing nearly half the staff. Sometimes change is good, and especially on offense something fresh could be good to get us out of the doldrums.

I'm going to say these moves are risky and cause for concern, /especially/ when improvement or solving the problems we have, does not seem to be the impetus for them.

This is a bit like saying Frost has a lot to do with Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon.

Okay, maybe more than a bit, but I think Mitch is speculating completely on Beck's title as passing game coordinator. It was still Mangino's show. Even a guy with the OC title there, you would've said, "yeah, but it was Mangino's show."

Apparently we're looking at replacing nearly half the staff. Sometimes change is good, and especially on offense something fresh could be good to get us out of the doldrums.

I'm going to say these moves are risky and cause for concern, /especially/ when improvement or solving the problems we have, does not seem to be the impetus for them.

Where do you get the info to counter Sherman's claim about Beck's involvement with Mangino's offense? I don't know anything either way, so any info you could give would be helpful.

I'd say solving our offensive problems are entirely the impetus of Watson/Gilmore's departures - if those happen. Losing Sanders would have to be disciplinary in nature since he had one of, if not THE best secondaries in the nation last year, but when our offense fails to score in critical games, replacing offensive personnel is nigh on inevitable.

Mostly my own opinion. But I've seen others express it, too. It just feels like Sherman is pumping Beck up a bit and using that passing game coordinator title. It is promising that Beck has this experience, for sure...but Mangino was the head coach and the offensive coordinator for all purposes, on that team. The success goes to Mangino, just like in 2006 or 2007 it was really Bill Callahan's show here, regardless if we had anyone named a 'passing game' or 'offense' coordinator or not. If we want the promise of the guy that made that success happen here, Mangino and nobody else is the guy we really ought to get in here.

I made the comments about not fixing the offensive problems because Cotton is here. Watson and Gilmore are great, public-supported fall guys, but as long as Barney is here, one of the real issues is left un-addressed. And if it isn't going to get done now, when will it be?

People have a love affair with Mangino/KU's offense for basically 1 year, yes, KU's offense was 2nd in 2007 in scoring, but they did that playing an awful schedule.

Here's the ranks of scoring D's KU faced in 2007

111th

75th in FCS

116th

115th

86th

112th

78th

49th

114th

79th

93rd

37th

3rd

Avg- 83rd with the FBS schools (I didn't factor in the FCS school)

They averaged 43 PPG that year, but against top 100 defenses they were held to 2 TD's less per game, and the top 50 defenses they faced held them 20 points under their average. They just got a magical schedule that year.

NCAA online stats go back to 2001, here's Mangino's offenses

01- 27th (OU)

02- 96th

03- 36th

04- 76th

05- 83rd

06- 29th

07- 2nd

08- 22nd

09- 42nd

Average- 46th

Watson's

01- 23rd

02- 51st

03- 63rd

04- 81st

05- 78th

07- 28th

08- 18th

09- 75th

10- 44th

Average 51st

What exactly has Mangino proved as an assistant? He inherited a Mike Leach designed offense in 2000 and got a NC, but that offense got worse as the season went on, his last 4 games that year he averaged 19.75 PPG, very Watson like in "big games" when it counted, he only led the 2000 offense to 12 against an unranked Oklahoma State team in the Bedlam game.

In 2001 his offense fell to 27th, which while good, was plagued by offenses that couldn't score when the big games came, scoring only 10 points vs NU, 13 against unranked OSU and 10 against Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

Sorry for the anti Mangino rant, just get tired of people thinking he is some sort of offensive genius.

Don't get your feelings confused with the rest of the fan base. You are part of a handful of people that think something bad happened today. There are just as many of us that think you all are being silly.

Someone said, and I think it was you but I may be wrong, that Bo views his relationship with the media and the fan base as contentious. As a fan I don't care at all how Bo treats the media. Those self-important dingleberries don't represent me. If he is mean to them I don't feel anything. Why do you?

On top of that the public is fickle- win and you can get away with a lot. Lose and you get fired no matter what.

When I go to Facebook most all of my Nebraska peeps are talking about the class, not the teleconference.

BTW- did anybody notice we signed a pretty good class today.

Yawn. I'm as dispassionate about this as usual. I have no vested interest in this, I'm simply pointing out what's going on. If you can't see it, don't blame me.

And if your peeps are that out of touch, it's possible you're not that clued in on the tenor of the fan base. But whatever.

This is Kevin Wilsons fault. He came out and announced a staff change for a school hes not coaching. What right does he have going public saying hes going to be coaching DBs at NU when its not even public knowledge that our DB coach is leaving. And why and the hell is he talking about it on NSD. Almost like he did it on purpose? Like he was mad that we are taking a coach from them, especially after BO recommended him. I bet you a million bucks Bo gave Kevin and ear full tonight. That was very unprofessional.

yep must have been drunk

What exactly has Mangino proved as an assistant? He inherited a Mike Leach designed offense in 2000 and got a NC, but that offense got worse as the season went on, his last 4 games that year he averaged 19.75 PPG, very Watson like in "big games" when it counted, he only led the 2000 offense to 12 against an unranked Oklahoma State team in the Bedlam game.

I'm not going to challenge your view on Mangino, but, if we would have scored 19-20 points in any of the close games we have played in the past 2 years, we would have won or tied all but one, I think. Very un-Watsgrove like.

• Fire 1

I'm not going to challenge your view on Mangino, but, if we would have scored 19-20 points in any of the close games we have played in the past 2 years, we would have won or tied all but one, I think. Very un-Watsgrove like.

Excellent point. +1 for the Watsgrove comment. I'm tired of the Watsgrovian offense.

He averaged that with a team that won a national title, with significantly more talent than Nebraska has on our offense.