Corey Raymond CB coach from Indiana has joined the NU staff.

You know who else thought that way? Bill Callahan. And we rode that guy out of here on a rail.

Callahan fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is, "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line." Only slightly less well-known than that one is this one, "Never piss off the Nebraska fan base."

How much longer do you really think Bo is going to get away with his behavior of the past year? Think about it.

This post was in regard to the athletic department, not Bo. So unless a pissed off Husker nation is going to revolt against its own establishment, then I dont get where youre going with it.

Come on. Don't be myopic. People aren't getting miffed at "the athletic department." They're getting miffed at Bo's behavior. We've been talking about Bo all afternoon.

I'm not trying to be an asshat, just reciprocating the actual topic of the "who pays the salaries" dialogue. If Bo paid these guys this would be a different story and I would not have been so partial to him in this specific conversation. Would alter it quite a bit.

I don't think the pissed off people on message boards are indicative of the attitude of Husker fans as a whole

2007 disagrees with you. Message boards were a great barometer of the feelings of the fan base as a whole. And if you ask around in bars, cafes, water coolers and street corners across Nebraska, you'll find there are tons of folks right now who support Bo but not the way he's been acting lately. That support can change pretty quickly.

Bo won the fans over with his rugged, hard-working attitude. He can turn them off just as easily by being dishonest - or appearing to be dishonest - with them. Let's not pretend he can't lose the respect of the fans.

And even with that said if Bo treats his players and staff well and they trust him and play hard for him and they win the Big Ten Championship next year Bo will have all the support in the world. Bo can do whatever the hell he wants as long as he wins. That's the difference between this and 07' is that we won 5 freaking games. Had Cally won the Big 12 that year everyone would have loved him. I agree that Bo could say something like things are still being evaluated i'll inform you at a later date or something but really it's not that big of a deal.

I'm not trying to be an asshat, just reciprocating the actual topic of the "who pays the salaries" dialogue. If Bo paid these guys this would be a different story and I would not have been so partial to him in this specific conversation. Would alter it quite a bit.

I know you're not being an asshat. It's all the same topic - Bo is going to find himself on thin ice with the fan base if it comes out that he's been lying to us. Nebraskans are of-the-soil people at heart to a large extent. They don't take kindly to being lied to. That's what I've been on about this whole time. It's something Callahan never learned, but something we felt Bo knew from the start. If that perception changes, Bo's seat becomes that much less comfortable.

ANd who does more to pay that salary? Oh yeah the fans. So as knapplc's analogy of a corporate shareholders goes, we as those shareholders probably deserve to know. Right?
Is this going to keep you from going to games then? That's assuming you go to games often which I have no clue if you do. As a shareholder you're more than welcome to sell your shares at any point. Someone else would be happy to pick them up.

You know who else thought that way? Bill Callahan. And we rode that guy out of here on a rail.

Callahan fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is, "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line." Only slightly less well-known than that one is this one, "Never piss off the Nebraska fan base."

How much longer do you really think Bo is going to get away with his behavior of the past year? Think about it.

That depends on how many games he wins in the next few seasons.

And even with that said if Bo treats his players and staff well and they trust him and play hard for him and they win the Big Ten Championship next year Bo will have all the support in the world. Bo can do whatever the hell he wants as long as he wins. That's the difference between this and 07' is that we won 5 freaking games. Had Cally won the Big 12 that year everyone would have loved him. I agree that Bo could say something like things are still being evaluated i'll inform you at a later date or something but really it's not that big of a deal.

Callahan was already on thin ice in 2006 when he won ten games. He was a poor fit for Nebraska culture, and a horrible fit specifically for the culture of Nebraska Football. If Bo is seen to be lying to the fans, it won't go well.

I don't think the pissed off people on message boards are indicative of the attitude of Husker fans as a whole

2007 disagrees with you. Message boards were a great barometer of the feelings of the fan base as a whole. And if you ask around in bars, cafes, water coolers and street corners across Nebraska, you'll find there are tons of folks right now who support Bo but not the way he's been acting lately. That support can change pretty quickly.

Bo won the fans over with his rugged, hard-working attitude. He can turn them off just as easily by being dishonest - or appearing to be dishonest - with them. Let's not pretend he can't lose the respect of the fans.

I'm not gonna bitch about Bo, or back him up, but comparing this to the 2007 season it apples to oranges, IMO.

Just sayin

I have to throw in my two cents here. I don't post often, but have been cruising the board for years. The information and collective Husker knowlege on this board astounds me. I am very greatful to all of your informative views and news on the Huskers. It has gotten me through many long days.

That being said, some of you are being completely assinine about the press conference today. The world herald itself stated at some point during the day that the presser would be to discuss the recruits and no other topic. Seems to me that was the biggest pre-emptive "NO COMMENT" that could be issued. The fact that after publishing that themselves the reporters still asked the question does not suprise me. However to harp on it over and over after being told nothing else would be discussed was in my opinion completely disrespectful to Bo's or whoever's decision it was not to comment on anything else. I also get visibly upset when my wishes are willingly and blatantly disrespected. Do you not?

In addition I agree 120% that nothing other than the recruits should have been discussed today. This is national signing day, a day that these kids have worked most of thier lives for, a day when all of thier hard work and sacrifices have paid off and they get their reward. Today is their day. It would be wrong and disrespectful to them to steal their thunder by announcing coaching changes on their day. What a way to get things started on the right foot with new recruits, show them that they come 2nd to the program to coaching changes.

I crave information on the Huskers like Charlie Sheen craves hookers and coke, but come on guys. You're robbing our newest family members (the recruits) from their day of celebration. Let it go!

Well said +1

That depends on how many games he wins in the next few seasons.

Frank won nine games in his final season. Winning isn't the only barometer.

Eh I think it will help, I think the tides have turned a little since then, not saying winning is eveything. But with the debacle we got after firing frank, going into meltdown mode over thenext few years, I dont think they will be so quick to fire the gun on a 9 win season, imo.

A bit back on the topic of Corey Raymond now.

The 1620 guys were skeptical of his experience, but they were thinking he would be LBs coach and noting he's never coached linebackers before.

Raymond is highly recommended as a secondary coach by Bo himself, and is supposed to be a fantastic technician for DBs. And he will be working under Bo, one of the best with DBs and someone who is familiar with him. I am encouraged by this hire, both from a coaching and a recruiting standpoint. Welcome Coach Corey.

I am very excited about this guy. As much as I will miss Sanders, he never was a great recruiter. Corey Raymond sounds like a great coach and great recruiter.

Sanders wasn't really a great recruiter? really?? Ya might want to go check out our recruiting commitment list for the past 3 years and pay attention to the DB's Sanders was responsible for getting in here to Nebraska!

I didn't say that he isn't good at developing talent. But looking back at it, he has about one good recruit a year. Last year it was Corey Cooper who is rumored to quite football and focus on baseball. Then you have Dijon Washington who I don't think has seen the field yet. And finnally you have David Whitmore, who if I'm not mistaken, is no longer on the team. So yes, I stand by what I said. Sanders is not a very good recruiter.

Just wanted to correct you on the bolded part. You got Khiry Cooper mixed up with Corey Cooper. Khiry plays baseball but Corey doesn't. Sanders recruited Corey, not Khiry.