Recruit not happy about the Marvin situation

To answer your question, no I wouldnt rather have Callahan. I like Bo, as i have stated several times. I just wish we has a bit more media/pr savy and didnt look like a basket case on the sidelines. I love the passion, but the media uses it to make him look a raving lunatic. Is it his fault the media are vultures? Nope. Can he do something to prevent the media from having anything to blow out of proportion? Yep!

Jackson is also at fault a little. He should have contact Bo before going to the media.

Not for nothing, but the author of this article, wrote it with a good amount of naivety.

I hate to tell Dirk, that this isn't the first, or last time something like this will happen. Or, at the risk of sounding insensitive, this kid should also realize that things like this, as in life, are imperfect. Things suck, that's life. You make the best out of it, and drive on.

To answer your question, no I wouldnt rather have Callahan. I like Bo, as i have stated several times. I just wish we has a bit more media/pr savy and didnt look like a basket case on the sidelines. I love the passion, but the media uses it to make him look a raving lunatic. Is it his fault the media are vultures? Nope. Can he do something to prevent the media from having anything to blow out of proportion? Yep!

they'd find something. the fact that they haven't found more is fairly impressive considering what is probably going on within the program right now. when the state's leading paper feels the need to bury you - i don't care if your Pelini or God himself...they're going to twist a story to make it negative, and people are going to react in such a way. Yellow journalism? Get's hits.

Of course the hope would be that the recruits would in fact stay. They would not be bound to stay --- having had committed to coaches that they thought were going to coach them who, in fact were already gone. This is only fair... and, in seeing the new coaches one would hope that they would opt to stay. But forcing a kid to stay when they came under false pretense is not fair.

Why stop with recruits? Most of the secondary already on the team thought Sanders would be their coach the entirety of their college careers, why not release them as well? Extreme I know, but so is releasing all the new recruits from their scholarship when it's likely that only one really cares about what happened.

I agree that the situation with CJ is dubious and if he wants a release I think that it should be granted. But for me there aren't enough facts out yet to lay blame at anyone but Sanders at this point.

Simple. Those on the team already were not lied to. Simply there was a coaching change. Happens all the time. There is no problem changing coaches... the problem lies in recruiting players here on the premise that they would be mentored by people who you know would not be here when the player arrives. Two entirely different situations there.

If Bo told him Marvin would be on the team for his entire 4-5 years with the program...then yes, Jackson was lied to. I doubt he was told this though. To say Bo lied to Jackson in any way is a STRETCH of epic proportions.

Well... Jackson seems to think he was lied to. Withholding critical information so as to manipulate an outcome from another is a form of lying --- of the passive sort. It is deception with the intent to manipulate whereby the manipulation is predicated upon withholding information critical from the other person so as to get them to do what you want. So... yeah... that is lying.

Oh... and Bo also said to the press that he had not hired any coaches... yet we have a new DB coach. That too... is lying. He could have simply said that questions on personnel are off limits (again)... but simply lied. Hmnn....

they'd find something. the fact that they haven't found more is fairly impressive considering what is probably going on within the program right now. when the state's leading paper feels the need to bury you - i don't care if your Pelini or God himself...they're going to twist a story to make it negative, and people are going to react in such a way. Yellow journalism? Get's hits.

Very true. I guess some of us just dont understand why other coaches at other major unitveristies dont have these types of media blow ups. Maybe its because I dont follow them nearly as much as I follow the Huskers - therefore I dont see them. I dont know, I am just being a concerned fan.

Why wouldn’t this kid be upset that the coach he was set to work under for the next 4-5 years ups and leaves the day after he signs his pledge to that school? If I’m not mistaken the position coaches spend more time with the players then the Head Coach does so he has every right to be a little riled up over it.

Also if he wasn’t informed that a change was occurring then that is on Bo. He said it himself that he was truthful and up front with all the recruits during the whole process.

"As long as you're honest with them every step of the way ... you develop trust," Pelini said during the teleconference.

"In the end, I'm still the head coach," he said. "There are always going to be changes. I mean, I shouldn't say always. But there are going to be changes. It happens. It's part of the deal. I know there's a trust there. The young men trust me. They trust the staff. They trust the University of Nebraska that they're going to be coached in such a way that they're going to be very happy about.

"I talk about trust, and I believe that's a big part of it."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/recruiting/article_ff5ad5ce-fa1e-562e-b429-81dbc30412fd.html

That quote looks completely terrible now.

Why do you think outlets for journalistic diarrhea like TMZ do so well? It is their jobs to edit what could be a positive statement, and flip flop it to make you sound like you enjoy kicking puppies, and pushing over little old ladies.

The power of perception is a mother.

It's the age we live in. Twitter, and all these social media outlets just make it easier for these journalistic douchenozzles by taking any little thing, twisting it, and making it out to be more than it really is.

The best part about this board is none of you even know what you're talking about. You respond to things in the media. If you knew anyone inside the program you would have a clue. That said, 4 stars, 5 stars, 2 stars...they don't mean a damn thing. Look back over the years at the "stars" our best players were given during the recruiting process. If a kid is hurt by a coach leaving that sucks but look around the country...we have had probably as stable a coaching staff as any program.

Very true. I guess some of us just dont understand why other coaches at other major unitveristies dont have these types of media blow ups. Maybe its because I dont follow them nearly as much as I follow the Huskers - therefore I dont see them. I dont know, I am just being a concerned fan.

Forge, prime example. Rex Ryan.

The media has a field day with him, and he's not that much different from Bo. Well, aside from the feet thing.

Rex is completely different from Bo. He doesn't care what information he gives out to the media and treats them like buddies. He'll say anything, he'll let his players say anything, he doesn't care. Really open with his program and any publicity is good publicity. He spits fire and relishes in the attention. Bo wants to shut down information flow out of Nebraska like it's Fort Knox, or New England.

I am more a fan of Bo's approach, by far. I just think he is missing that a key part of executing that plan is getting the local media to love him anyway.

Rex is completely different from Bo. He doesn't care what information he gives out to the media and treats them like buddies. He'll say anything, he'll let his players say anything, he doesn't care. Really open with his program and any publicity is good publicity. He spits fire and relishes in the attention. Bo wants to shut down information flow out of Nebraska like it's Fort Knox, or New England.

I am more a fan of Bo's approach, by far. I just think he is missing that a key part of executing that plan is getting the local media to love him anyway.

I meant more in the way they are treated by the media, not for their tendencies.

Why wouldn't this kid be upset that the coach he was set to work under for the next 4-5 years ups and leaves the day after he signs his pledge to that school? If I'm not mistaken the position coaches spend more time with the players then the Head Coach does so he has every right to be a little riled up over it.

Also if he wasn't informed that a change was occurring then that is on Bo. He said it himself that he was truthful and up front with all the recruits during the whole process.

"As long as you're honest with them every step of the way ... you develop trust," Pelini said during the teleconference.

"In the end, I'm still the head coach," he said. "There are always going to be changes. I mean, I shouldn't say always. But there are going to be changes. It happens. It's part of the deal. I know there's a trust there. The young men trust me. They trust the staff. They trust the University of Nebraska that they're going to be coached in such a way that they're going to be very happy about.

"I talk about trust, and I believe that's a big part of it."

http://huskerextra.c...dbc30412fd.html

That quote looks completely terrible now.

This, and to you that are arguing that Bo couldn't tell the recruits anything, please explain why he can discuss an unopen position with Corey Raymond but can't mention to a recruit that there's something going on with Sanders.

Kevin Wilson said that the communication with Raymond and Nebraska has been going on for about a week.

If Bo's allowed to discuss this with Raymond, there's no reason Jackson shouldn't have been given a heads up.

Not to defend Bo or the fact that this kid didn't know about what changes were coming, but Chatelain is just pushing his own agenda. Not only is he painting the article itself, but he probably asked the kid leading questions trying to create the controversy. Is the kid upset, yes, but does he feel like he got completely screwed and doesn't want to come to Nebraska anymore? I don't think so...

We're also not the only place going through this sort of thing. Scott Frost appears to be considering leaving Oregon. He has some recruits that like him out in Oregon, and if he decides to bolt they'll be stuck too. There are probably some Indiana recruits that feel the same way about Corey Raymond. I think you have to do everything you can to avoid these situtations, but who knows what timeline Bo is on or what other factors are at play. Maybe Watson isn't gone yet, maybe he's only gone if Bo secures a commitment from one of his coaching targets. Hard to say...

+1

Dirk is a douche bag and I hope people aren't getting fooled by the **** suckers at the OWH who very badly want Bo out because they were in the Gill camp from day 1. Make no mistake. . .they had an article the first day questioning if Bo was the right hire and pointing out the time he blew up at Snyder and wondered when he'd do it again. They've constantly pushed a negative agenda against him. When was the last time you saw a story talking about all the good he does? Where was the story stating that Football 101 was canceled because BC threatened a law suit because football 101 was his brain child?

Did anyone else notice that only a DB recruit was quoted in that story? Perhaps its because all of the recruits knew the offense was changing directions but the Sanders thing was the only surprise that cropped up and it was all Sanders doing. . that had nothing to do with Bo. And of course. . .they're trying to make it look like it was Bo's fault. The OWH is dealing in half truths here people.

:yeah

This should be a non-story. It's not Bo's fault Jackson wasn't forewarned about Sanders. (offensive coaches would be another story however, but Sanders is different.) Legally Bo probably wasn't even able to discuss his employment status outside of a small bubble of people. The fact that we speculated on his status doesn't count for much in reality. There is a process things like this have to take to absolve the university from any future legal issues. Pelini had to let that play out.

The fact that a kid that has been on the team 1 day warrants the kind of response from an NU fan like "someone needs to fly out there and talk to this kid right away" is just BS. The only difference between him and the other 20 defensive backs on the team is that he hasn't even set foot on campus yet. Why does he deserve more than Dennard, or one of our walk on DBs? He's a player - he's no longer a recruit. The timing sucks for everyone, but blame Marvin for not scheduling his transgressions better, not Bo and the legal team at the university.

I'm tired of hearing BS about character and integrity and how Bo has none, and that's more important than wins and losses. You people will be the same ones that throw the next guy under the bus when he goes 5-7 with a policy that includes curfews, no girlfriends, and church 3 days a week. This is a business where success IS NOT measured by the number of scout laws (trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent) Bo posesses. The fact that he even preaches any of them is fantastic. When was the last time you heard Kiffin use any of those. All the blue hairs that yell at the people standing at games think every coach out there should be an eagle scout first, and a coach second...winning be damned. That's the BS here. This is not the same business you blue hairs remember. It's not the 70's, 80's, or even 90's. A coach used to make 100k a year...the equivalent of you and I. Now it's a business where coaches demand millions, and programs are valued in hundreds of millions. It's not going back. Embrace it, or stfu...and for god sake stand up and cheer during a game.

Note: Had to Google the scout laws - I don't live by any of them either.

Amen to that! Has Bo had any NCAA violations over his three years? - No. Has he hit a player, locked a kid in a dark room, let our graduation rates slide? - No. People need to just relax, let Bo and Tom do their jobs, and worry about their own lives. It's easy to sit here and say what you would have done in this situation and all past situations because there are no ramifications for voicing your nugget of wisdom and ethics for all to hear (sarcasm...). People always want what they don't have. We want a winning program and are willing to sacrifice on itegrity...we want integrity and are now willing to give up on a winning program. We'll if some of you could have it your way, we'd soon be the Kansas of the Big Ten and I guarantee those of you who are b****ing about Bo would be back here hellbent on restoring our winning ways at all costs.

If Bo told him Marvin would be on the team for his entire 4-5 years with the program...then yes, Jackson was lied to. I doubt he was told this though. To say Bo lied to Jackson in any way is a STRETCH of epic proportions.

IF that was said to any recruit (which I highly, highly doubt), it would be a little questionable.

But IF a recruit was told that and his coach resigned, was fired, whatever soon there after, it is a good lesson in life. Things change, monkey wrenches get thrown into your plans all of the time. Get tough, roll with it. Life isn't gonna get get any easier.

I wonder what the average age of membership is on this board? Better yet what the average life experience is and if anyone understand HR laws, HIPPA, etc and just how little people can say without possible litigation or about contracts, separation agreements etc. Then also. . .I'm surprised because. . .well you know Bo has no integrity . . .why someone wouldn't want to spill his beans to the world about a very very embarrassing serious situation of a close personal friend to a douchebag at the OWH who has zero clue of the depth and complexity of the situation.

The more I think about this. . the more proud I am of Bo for getting hammered for it. Come on people put your self in the other person's shoes.