Bo Pelini

EZ-E

I just don't like the way this whole thing is going down. I would rather have seen Bo take some leadership, came out and fired those that needed to go if they would not go voluntarily, and do it publicly, then open the the hiring.

With the way that Nebraska fans have tried to handicap the hiring of coaches in the past, and how it has gotten cut throat at times, I can understand in a way why they might want to do it all behind closed doors. But once the cat was out of the bag, they should have just come out and said who is leaving, and go ahead and let the speculation take place.

I would rather of had this handled in a way that would have reflected back on the university in a way that was a little more classy. The way they did this is totally without class.

"Stop worrying about the 5% of fans that don't like you and worry about the 95% that do."

You might be a little high with your percentages, especially after the last 3 months or so. Add in college football fans in general and you're waaaaaay off.

Who cares what they think of our program. They still talk about all our criminals in the 90's. Just go read a college football article on yahoo and you will see what the "average" college football fan thinks about any team other than the team they follow.

I was just stating that college football fans in general, who as a whole have no reason to dislike Nebraska, think very unfavorably about Bo Pelini. Granted our rivals don't like us or Bo but when a rather large population doesn't like you because of one person then you probably have a problem. That person probably isn't representing your program in the best ways possible. Even though some people on here with their Red colored glasses don't want to admit.

Im not sure where you live, but if you lived outside the state of Nebraska you would understand. It gets old telling people you're a fan of Nebraska and then have to listen to them tell you how much of a joke our head coach is.

Many people hated Nebraska way before Pelini got here just because we were so good for so long. It was jealousy. And these are fans not just from the Big 12. SEC fans, Pac 10 fans, ACC fans, etc. Their argument was always the same, how we had to use partial qualifiers to win and LP this and TC that. The hatred for Nebraska has been there since the 90's. Pelini adds more fuel to the fire for the haters, I'm not saying he doesn't. Its not just Pelini either, the majority of college football fans from other conferences look at Nebraska as cowards. Running off to the Big 10 bc we can't beat Texas. So it stems way beyond how Pelini acts and what other fans say about our program.

Now with that said, we are not the only program who has a fiery head coach whom others view as a jerk. Saban is viewed as a jerk. Especially in LSU. Actually, he is viewed as a traitor. Other fans will always give you grief for the team you follow, no matter what it is. I don't really care what other fans think about our coach or our program in general.

Lol Zoogies

ditto. I travel fequently on business and get some grief for my Husker gear, but there are more people that comment positively than negatively. The majority of college football fans love their team no matter what, despise a few, and are pretty much numb on the rest.

The level of respect we get from other fans around the country is dropping and dropping fast. I travel around the country all the time, leaving the Big 12 was a bit hit on the way people think of us, Bo's behavior on the field has been another, and the way we handle the hiring and firing coaches is fast becoming another. I would even venture to say that there are fans in Nebraska that have lost some of their fervor for the Huskers with what has happened over the past 7 or 8 years. This is NOT the same Husker program that I grew up with and the level of support from Nebraskans is not anything like it was in the past.

The level of respect we get from other fans around the country is dropping and dropping fast. I travel around the country all the time, leaving the Big 12 was a bit hit on the way people think of us, Bo's behavior on the field has been another, and the way we handle the hiring and firing coaches is fast becoming another. I would even venture to say that there are fans in Nebraska that have lost some of their fervor for the Huskers with what has happened over the past 7 or 8 years. This is NOT the same Husker program that I grew up with and the level of support from Nebraskans is not anything like it was in the past.

:yeah Image is everything.

I live in Missouri. Huskers were HATED long before Pelini got there. They were hated because we kicked their butt royally for 30 years in a row. In the mid 2000s they just didn't hate quite as much cause they actually beat us a few times. I don't think Pelini has significantly hurt or helped the Huskers. Heck...Jim Rome, who has a national radio audience seems to like Pelini from what I can gather.

I will tell you what I DO hear alot-- "Huskers bailed on the Big 12" and that has nothing to do with Pelini. If you really want to blame someone for that action---blame Tommy O and Harvey Perlman for the current state of "disrespect"? Anyone want to blame Tommy O for Huskers being disrespected? I don't think so.

I will say this....Bo is going to need to adjust his behavior a bit on the sidelines. Now that he has a reputation for being "passionate", every game there is going to be a camera glued to him. He is going to have to do what Osborne use to do--have his assistants do the dirty work once in a while regarding players and refs.

Our press corps have not helped either.

So..don't blame Pelini alone for the current state of love/hate/disrespect for the Huskers. It is a complicated world and an awfully small world we now live in. Much different than when Tommy O was coaching.

My two cents.....

Yes it is wrong. Firing a person is an extremely difficult process, but if your gonna do it, then do it. Honestly at this point it really isn't fair to Watson to keep him from moving on. Pelini's seat is getting warmer the worse the publicity gets.

He's been given every opportunity to find a new job-and he knew that. Now he's going to get shoved out the door the he couldn't walk out himself.

:yeah

Not only the above but Bo and TO were calling day and night trying to get Watson interviews. There are plans in place with this. Bo isn't just winging it.

"Stop worrying about the 5% of fans that don't like you and worry about the 95% that do."

You might be a little high with your percentages, especially after the last 3 months or so. Add in college football fans in general and you're waaaaaay off.

Who cares what they think of our program. They still talk about all our criminals in the 90's. Just go read a college football article on yahoo and you will see what the "average" college football fan thinks about any team other than the team they follow.

I was just stating that college football fans in general, who as a whole have no reason to dislike Nebraska, think very unfavorably about Bo Pelini. Granted our rivals don't like us or Bo but when a rather large population doesn't like you because of one person then you probably have a problem. That person probably isn't representing your program in the best ways possible. Even though some people on here with their Red colored glasses don't want to admit.

Im not sure where you live, but if you lived outside the state of Nebraska you would understand. It gets old telling people you're a fan of Nebraska and then have to listen to them tell you how much of a joke our head coach is.

Many people hated Nebraska way before Pelini got here just because we were so good for so long. It was jealousy. And these are fans not just from the Big 12. SEC fans, Pac 10 fans, ACC fans, etc. Their argument was always the same, how we had to use partial qualifiers to win and LP this and TC that. The hatred for Nebraska has been there since the 90's. Pelini adds more fuel to the fire for the haters, I'm not saying he doesn't. Its not just Pelini either, the majority of college football fans from other conferences look at Nebraska as cowards. Running off to the Big 10 bc we can't beat Texas. So it stems way beyond how Pelini acts and what other fans say about our program.

Now with that said, we are not the only program who has a fiery head coach whom others view as a jerk. Saban is viewed as a jerk. Especially in LSU. Actually, he is viewed as a traitor. Other fans will always give you grief for the team you follow, no matter what it is. I don't really care what other fans think about our coach or our program in general.

Lol Zoogies

ditto. I travel fequently on business and get some grief for my Husker gear, but there are more people that comment positively than negatively. The majority of college football fans love their team no matter what, despise a few, and are pretty much numb on the rest.

The program I grew up watching was way more famous for Lawrence Phillips than it was for Brook Berringer.

The media is always going to blow things out of proportion to create controversy, whether there's any truth to the matter or not, especially Nebraska (Nebraska fans could completely boycott ESPN and ESPN wouldn't even notice... But ESPN isn't going to mess with Texas anytime soon...)

Stop worrying what other people think.

• Fire 1

The program I grew up watching was way more famous for Lawrence Phillips than it was for Brook Berringer.

The media is always going to blow things out of proportion to create controversy, whether there's any truth to the matter or not, especially Nebraska (Nebraska fans could completely boycott ESPN and ESPN wouldn't even notice... But ESPN isn't going to mess with Texas anytime soon...)

Stop worrying what other people think.

This.

I just don't like the way this whole thing is going down. I would rather have seen Bo take some leadership, came out and fired those that needed to go if they would not go voluntarily, and do it publicly, then open the the hiring.

With the way that Nebraska fans have tried to handicap the hiring of coaches in the past, and how it has gotten cut throat at times, I can understand in a way why they might want to do it all behind closed doors. But once the cat was out of the bag, they should have just come out and said who is leaving, and go ahead and let the speculation take place.

I would rather of had this handled in a way that would have reflected back on the university in a way that was a little more classy. The way they did this is totally without class.

I don't think the way it went and is going down was really how Nebraska wanted it to go. should he say more to them to smooth the press over and calm what they are writing about the Huskers i would say no.everyone is upset about the "situation" but in all reality why do we need to know all this information as it happens? i think its ridiculous that we the fans and the press think we need to tell the world every time someone there farts. if everyone stopped worrying so much about the back office stuff most of this would have been avoided, i don't work for the university or am i a member of the staff and i do not play at Nebraska so why is it our business whats going on there. i know we are fans and everything that the Huskers do is important to us but honestly we really have no right to know whats going on behind the doors as it happens . if coaches get fired or leave when new ones are hired then we should be told thats it nothing else. I don't see how this is being done without class in the sense that Bo has hired and fired no one and from what i have heard they are helping Watson look for a job. if that is true i know for myself that i have never had a job that i worked and my employer said hey we are going a diff route so in the next few weeks see what you can find and i will call around too. also we will keep you employed while we do this. seriously if that doesn't speak class i don't know what does, the press can say what they want about how he is with them but behind doors if this is how its going i don't care what everyone else thinks. i know most will not agree but thats my opinion.

You state in your opening that all want to be like Tom, which I question reading most posts on here.

Tom cares what others think of this program, far more than most would want to admit. He was embarased by things that went on after the A&M game, the first VaTech game and some of the Missouri game. He hsa spoken with Bo about it several times I am sure. We have seen improvement from Bo, still not a finished product though.

The problem is now everything is on the internet and TV the instant it happens, more details, video the like. The more people that turn away from Nebraska for what ever reason has the potential to affect recruiting down the road. That is the reason for our past image being so important. We are losing that image in many ways.

I have not bee able to drag a positive up from any of this, and I am very concerned about what will happen with newly signed recruits if the whole offensive coaching staff is gone or change around.

Recruiting is the blood of any program, and we need to move quickly to correct the errors that have been made, make each recruit understand the reasons and if it requires releasing them from their obligation. I doubt that will happen, but it should be on the table.

I live in SoCal and anytime college football comes up, I am asked about our "nut job head coach or worse at times". The perception of being out of control, angry, tyrant are not things we need for the program. The staff changes have not been handled properly no question. But parents look at the whole picture and in honesty it is not a very pretty picture.

I ran a very large racing program, every single detail was checked about a rider, his or her parents and past dealing with previous sponsors. I would assume most parents are the same.

Coaches coming in or deciding not to come are making those choices on something. I would think dealing with Bo on a daily basis would be a concern for some, not all.

This merry go round needs to stop, and after that there needs to be an oranizational meeting to see that things like this do not happen again.

Why should Bo Pelini care what all of college football nation thinks of him? Does the SEC care that college football nation look negatively on them because of their recruiting practices that are in a moral gray area? I don't think so. Obviously Bo isn't doing the same thing, but apathy towards an all-and-all hopeless quest for a good reputation is a transferable principle. And I hear the SEC is doing well these days.