Is it bad I have NO idea who this Garrison guy is? Can someone fill me in please.

center at Nebraska in the early 2000's. Team captain. Current intern.

rumors going around about him being an co-OL coach with Barney. Like what Coach Osborne did with Milt Tenopir and Dan Young.

CAM NEWTON was one at Auburn and that worked out pretty good for them.

Fixed it for you. :cheers

true true - but you could say the same thing about a lot of coaches thats had great players (osborne/frazier, meyer/tebow, carrol/lienert&bush). Most national championship teams have that iconic playmaker. When was the last time we had one of those? Crouch. Maybe Martinez under Beck can be that guy. Might be all this team needs.

Is it bad I have NO idea who this Garrison guy is? Can someone fill me in please.

center at Nebraska in the early 2000's. Team captain. Current intern.

rumors going around about him being an co-OL coach with Barney. Like what Coach Osborne did with Milt Tenopir and Dan Young.

If he grasps the concept of maintaining a block and/or PANCAKING someone, and can teach that, I say it's a brilliant hire. But then, I'd say that about anyone that could teach these things.

If this is what happens and Bo just promotes Beck, I will have the same underwhelmed feeling I had back in 2003 when Got Frank revamped his offense by hiring Barney Cotton.

I'm with you.

Instead of using resources to get the absolute best available options, we are instead settling for coaches.

Ross Els - Never coached above Ohio/NMSU in 20 years

Tim Beck - Never called plays in college

John Garrison - Was an GA/Intern before this

Corey Raymond - Like the hire, have heard good things about him

But c'mon here, this is the best we can do? I know someone will say "BUT GIVE THEM A CHANCE FIRST". We are freakin' Nebraska. We should be spending the cash to get already known top flight coaches or getting the young hot-shot up and coming coaches. We SHOULD NOT be settling for a bunch of guys we hope work out.

Someone tell me what is stopping Nebraska from going down to TCU, offering Justin Fuente the full OC position, and paying him the nearly $400k a year that Shawn Watson was earning?

You can go down a long list more of high quality guys on other staffs who would love the opportunity to move up the coaching ladder and/or get a hefty pay raise.

I really thought Bo was gonna figure this out when he decided to cut some dead weight from this staff, and I was strongly encouraged. Instead, it looks like he will make more lackluster hires to replace the under-performing former staff.

Just absolutely frustrating.

This times a million billion.

on the other hand alot of us were like, "ok marvin sanders, but who are these other dudes and carl as DC? untested, blah blah blah."

Yep. People forget how unknown guys like Papuchis, Ekeler and Dobson were around here. Today they're household names and everyone's on board with them, but back in the day there were several threads airing concerns over these guys.

Some could argue how well the Ekeler hire turned out but that is for a different day.

Els is not new to the coaching game. He has been around for 27 years. That is a far cry from bringing up Ekeler and Pap when Bo took the job.

I have no problem with giving Garrison a FT gig. But once again hiring him to his first position coach gig is not the same as bringing in Els after 27 years of coaching.

How could Husker fans not know who John Garrison is? Odd IMO.

I also think including the Strength and Conditioning Coach hire in the list of unproven people hired by Bo is strange. Besides Boyd Epply can anyone name some proven Strength and Conditioning guy?

I'm sure that's all very interesting, but it doesn't obviate the fact that people very openly questioned Bo's hires when he assembled his staff, much like they're doing now. Today, as then, a more prudent way of looking at things would be to let them fail before griping about the hires.

Of course, if you know more than Bo then by all means please gripe. The angst is entertaining.

If memory serves me correctly, a lot of people didn't like Barney being brought back by Bo. Today, most people still are not very happy Bo brought back Cotton. People were okay with retaining Watson. After the 2008 season, most wondered which team would pick off Watson for a HC. The biggest question I have is how many years of subpar offense do we have to look forward to running the spread while the OL is being coached by Barney Cotton?

If memory serves me correctly, a lot of people didn't like Barney being brought back by Bo. Today, most people still are not very happy Bo brought back Cotton. People were okay with retaining Watson. After the 2008 season, most wondered which team would pick off Watson for a HC. The biggest question I have is how many years of subpar offense do we have to look forward to running the spread while the OL is being coached by Barney Cotton?

I'm not sure what that has to do with my silly little snarky response to newearth, but the fact is, you're right. Of course, there are those who intimate that Tom "guided" Bo on his decisions to retain Watson and hire Barney, but I don't know if that gets Bo off the hook.

My overall point is - wait and see. I have no idea if the guys we're rumored to hire will pan out. All I'm saying is, it's too early to say they won't.

My point is that it matters very little who we hire as assistants on offense as long as Cotton is coaching the OL. We all know that we've led the conference in penalties each and every year Bo has been the HC. I'm too lazy to do the research, but I'd be willing to bet the lions share of the those penalties were on the OL. How many times have we had the ball with a third and short only to have an OL false start, hold, etc.? When Martinez got his ankled rolled in the A&M game, it was because his OL got blown up so bad that he nearly beat him back on his three step drop. If Beck is the OC, he's going to have to do an extraordinary job to overcome a Cotton coached OL.

My point is that it matters very little who we hire as assistants on offense as long as Cotton is coaching the OL. We all know that we've led the conference in penalties each and every year Bo has been the HC. I'm too lazy to do the research, but I'd be willing to bet the lions share of the those penalties were on the OL. How many times have we had the ball with a third and short only to have an OL false start, hold, etc.? When Martinez got his ankled rolled in the A&M game, it was because his OL got blown up so bad that he nearly beat him back on his three step drop. If Beck is the OC, he's going to have to do an extraordinary job to overcome a Cotton coached OL.

I've also been too lazy to do the research, too, but I've had that same thought myself. If they don't lead the team in average penalties per person as a unit, they're darn close.

It sounds like if we get John Garrison in here, it is much less of a Cotton-coached OL. Strikes me as an underwhelming hire, similar to the Papuchis/Ekeler hires. So it doesn't mean it can't work out. Look at how Belichick rolls in New England. Charlie Weiss gone, OK, we let this unknown QBs coach call plays. One day he grows up and becomes a Head Coach in Denver? Fine, give the job to QBs coach Bill O'Brien, who still nobody's heard of (yet).

But the big difference between this and Pap/Ek: those guys worked under the Pelini defense where any weaknesses were masked. Ekeler took a lateral move mostly to Indiana. Pap has been an outstanding recruiter and member of the staff, but he's just a defensive ends coach and hasn't made a stellar mark there yet. Want to keep Pap as long as we can, but I wouldn't say as a DEs or STs coach, that he's more than serviceable. It isn't like Marvin Sanders, a guy I loved having on the staff because you could point to him and say "Yeah, we have one of THE best DBs coaches in the country."

There would be less questions for John Garrison with better leadership on the offensive side of the ball. But, he could surprise.

I'm pretty supportive of the Beck hire if this is where we are going to go. I want to see what Beck can do, and I like the guy. It is underwhelming, but I've expected no different.

The numbers are not quite working out for me here. We are down two offensive coaches (supposedly). Every position but TE and OL is up in the air. If Garrison is brought in, then WR, RB, and QB are split between two guys. It is going to be interesting to see how that works out - unless Ron Brown takes on WR/TE which I suppose would be alright with me!

It sounds like if we get John Garrison in here, it is much less of a Cotton-coached OL. Strikes me as an underwhelming hire, similar to the Papuchis/Ekeler hires. So it doesn't mean it can't work out. Look at how Belichick rolls in New England. Charlie Weiss gone, OK, we let this unknown QBs coach call plays. One day he grows up and becomes a Head Coach in Denver? Fine, give the job to QBs coach Bill O'Brien, who still nobody's heard of (yet).

But the big difference between this and Pap/Ek: those guys worked under the Pelini defense where any weaknesses were masked. Ekeler took a lateral move mostly to Indiana. Pap has been an outstanding recruiter and member of the staff, but he's just a defensive ends coach and hasn't made a stellar mark there yet. Want to keep Pap as long as we can, but I wouldn't say as a DEs or STs coach, that he's more than serviceable. It isn't like Marvin Sanders, a guy I loved having on the staff because you could point to him and say "Yeah, we have one of THE best DBs coaches in the country."

There would be less questions for John Garrison with better leadership on the offensive side of the ball. But, he could surprise.

I'm pretty supportive of the Beck hire if this is where we are going to go. I want to see what Beck can do, and I like the guy. It is underwhelming, but I've expected no different.

The numbers are not quite working out for me here. We are down two offensive coaches (supposedly). Every position but TE and OL is up in the air. If Garrison is brought in, then WR, RB, and QB are split between two guys. It is going to be interesting to see how that works out - unless Ron Brown takes on WR/TE which I suppose would be alright with me!

In here? - he's already there. He's an intern. I don't see him trumping Barney in too many decisions going from intern to whatever he gets.

Of course, if you know more than Bo then by all means please gripe. The angst is entertaining.

Is this what it has come to? Only people that know more then Bo have the ability to complain about what appears to them to be less then stellar hires? :dunno

If that is the case then you really must know how to run a Division 1 offense. :madash

I'm saying you haven't shown any reason why these are poor hires, yet you're doing a lot of whining about them.

And pretty much everything else. I don't want to make a personal attack on anyone, but it seems like none of his posts ever have anything remotely positive in them. It's all bitching and pissing and moaning. Sorry. :boxosoap:rant

My bad, you are correct.

Hope you're wrong on the last sentence, I am trying hard to be optimistic here! :)

I applaud your effort, but give up - there's little to be optimistic about at this point. "Change" is happening though - so if the offense sputters next year we will have at least attempted to alter something. That's a start - however small it ends up being.

And pretty much everything else. I don't want to make a personal attack on anyone, but it seems like none of his posts ever have anything remotely positive in them. It's all bitching and pissing and moaning. Sorry. :boxosoap:rant

I've have almost 4000 posts I'm sure there has to be a sunny one in there someplace. If not here you go:

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,

Brighter than a lucky penny,

When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,

And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

That's how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way

When you're in love to stay.

Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,

Brighter than a lucky penny,

When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,

And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

That's how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way

'Cause you're in love, you're in love,

And love is here to stay!

Or this:

hello world heres a song that were singing,

come on get happy.

a whole lot of loving is what we'll be bringing,

we'll make you happy.

we have a dream we'll go traveling together,

we'll spread a little loving and we'll keep moving on.

something always happens whenever were together,

we get a happy feeling when were singing a song.

traveling along theres a song that were singing,

come on get happy.

a whole lot of loving is what we'll be bringing,

we'll make you happy.

we'll make you happy.

we'll make you happppyyyyyy.

Have a nice day! :moreinteresting