the Co-coordinator position could be a transition thing. Bring in someone young,without enough experience as co. and have Beck running half the offense and training. The thing I haven't heard is if Beck even wants the OC position. I myself wouldn't see why he wouldn't want it but it is very possible that he is happy at his current position.

the Co-coordinator position could be a transition thing. Bring in someone young,without enough experience as co. and have Beck running half the offense and training. The thing I haven't heard is if Beck even wants the OC position. I myself wouldn't see why he wouldn't want it but it is very possible that he is happy at his current position.

Not an insider by any means, but my impression since the inception of this staff is that Bo promised Beck the OC role in the future to lure him away from KU. He was in a pretty senior role at KU, a BCS school, and he took a slightly lessor role at NU. I know NU is head and shoulders above KU, but he was positioned to make the leap to OC at a D1 school already.

If Cotton stays, I'll be extremely pissed. Our offensive line was obviously a problem this past season. Why is that being overlooked?

I think this is why Ed Warinner is/was considered a candidate. That's his specialty. Problem is, I don't think he'll make a lateral move since he's already OL coach at Notre Dame, hence the rumors of co-OC between Warinner and Beck.

If Cotton stays, I'll be extremely pissed. Our offensive line was obviously a problem this past season. Why is that being overlooked?

Because of how bad are offensive overall was

I actually think OLine, QB and WR play were all pretty equal bad last year. It could be chemistry thing or a WCO guy trying to run zone read offense here. time well tell. Our OLine must improve this year otherwise we are staring at another 4 loss season.

If this is what happens and Bo just promotes Beck, I will have the same underwhelmed feeling I had back in 2003 when Got Frank revamped his offense by hiring Barney Cotton.

Agreed. I have no problem with Beck being promoted into this position, however, I think we would be more successful with Co-Coordinators. Beck/Frost/Phillips/Wariner any combination of those four is our best chance to take the offense up a notch...IMO.

Goodness, there is only so much credit to go around for the good offense Kansas posted in '07. Between Ed Warriner and Tim Beck, I'm not sure there's any slice of that pie left for Mark Mangino..

So what I'm gathering is that all the time, right under our very noses, the solution to this offensive catastrophe was right there, like a crouching tiger, or a hidden dragon. We must be the luckiest chaps in Las Vegas.

It's actually not too unbelievable. We definitely have some very solid minds on the offensive coaching staff in Watson and Beck. Watson was tied to doing something that he wasn't best suited to do. Beck was very solid in the Texas high school ranks, but if he gets the job and Bo ties his hands the same way...honestly, how much can we expect different results? It is kind of like asking Darren Sproles to be a bruising between-the-tackles goalline back, or Peyton Hillis to be an all-purpose, screen-catching, outside runner.

Oh come on now we all know that Mangino is going to make sure he gets the biggest piece of pie.