LJS: Beck used to taking on a challenge

Nexus

While GA isn't exactly flashy, he was on Snyder's staff at KSU. Bill Snyder's coaching tree is tremendous. Considering Reesing was up for the hypseman and KU's offense was very prolific, I'd say this would be flashy as well. While KU might be a mediocre team, their offense was anything but when he was there.

and i'm sure that was all Beck's doing at KU. Since he had a similar position at Nebraska how come he wasn't able to get the same results with better athletes then? You're stretching if you think KSU as a GA is flashy by the way LOL. That means about 90% of coaches out there would have a flashy resume :P

While GA isn't exactly flashy, he was on Snyder's staff at KSU. Bill Snyder's coaching tree is tremendous. Considering Reesing was up for the hypseman and KU's offense was very prolific, I'd say this would be flashy as well. While KU might be a mediocre team, their offense was anything but when he was there.

and i'm sure that was all Beck's doing at KU. Since he had a similar position at Nebraska how come he wasn't able to get the same results with better athletes then? You're stretching if you think KSU as a GA is flashy by the way LOL. That means about 90% of coaches out there would have a flashy resume :P

I didn't realize 90% of the coaches out there coached under Bill Snyder. Beck was the receivers coach at KU. Here, he was the running backs coach. In 2007 before Beck, Nebraska ranked #73 in rushing offense. In 2008 under Beck, Nebraska ranked #38. This year, we were #8 in rushing offense.

I'm not exactly sure how one can assume Beck was coaching better athletes at Nebraska than Kansas considering Beck's last year at KU they finished 12-1, ranked in the top 10, and won a BCS bowl. When was the last time Nebraska did this?

All I'm saying is that Beck is probably as flashy of hire as any other coach out there who isn't currently an OC somewhere. Beck has been a good position coach where he's been.

I didn't realize 90% of the coaches out there coached under Bill Snyder. Beck was the receivers coach at KU. Here, he was the running backs coach. In 2007 before Beck, Nebraska ranked #73 in rushing offense. In 2008 under Beck, Nebraska ranked #38. This year, we were #8 in rushing offense.

I'm not exactly sure how one can assume Beck was coaching better athletes at Nebraska than Kansas considering Beck's last year at KU they finished 12-1, ranked in the top 10, and won a BCS bowl. When was the last time Nebraska did this?

All I'm saying is that Beck is probably as flashy of hire as any other coach out there who isn't currently an OC somewhere. Beck has been a good position coach where he's been.

it's funny you mentioned Snyder and the coaches he has produced, same could be said for Hayden Fry at Iowa (who Snyder coached for) whether Beck is a "flashy" hire or not, you cant deny that he has had been around a combined "million" years worth of coaching experience to learn from. The guy was hired for a reason...

I totally disagree.

How is Becks resume not impressive? He was a good coach in the state of Texas which is basically like a small college team if you consider how high schools down there have million dollar facilities, The guy is a greater recruiter, he worked on a staff that took one of the worst teams in college football with a converted QB as WR and made them into a great offense, then came to Nebraska and coached the best unit on offense. I'd say Beck has done a good job and is just as deserving as anyone to be the OC.

I could see Beck deservedly going to a mid-major school to get his shot at OC. For Nebraska, his "impressiveness" should come from play calling and offensive scheming. It does not. This isn't a high-school football program, it isn't a Division II program and this isn't 1996. I would rather see someone with recent success scheming and playcalling at a major program come here. I understand that it probably won't happen, but this attitude of "I heart mediocrity" with all of these coaching change-ups is somewhat disturbing.

The conviction that the hires are mediocre without any evidence is even more disturbing. If all you want is a big "splash" with every hire, then go root for Notre Dame. All those "great" hires have done them wonders over the last 15 years.

I've been told by someone who knows who's been hired, the average fan won't be very excited with the new offensive hires but they are people that Bo is familiar with and trusts. That doesn't cast a very wide net. At first I was a little disappointed but then again I was very suspect with EK and JP who were hired because Bo was familiar with them. So. . I'll wait and see. Trust is huge with this guy and in reality that has served him well.

I totally disagree.

How is Becks resume not impressive? He was a good coach in the state of Texas which is basically like a small college team if you consider how high schools down there have million dollar facilities, The guy is a greater recruiter, he worked on a staff that took one of the worst teams in college football with a converted QB as WR and made them into a great offense, then came to Nebraska and coached the best unit on offense. I'd say Beck has done a good job and is just as deserving as anyone to be the OC.

I could see Beck deservedly going to a mid-major school to get his shot at OC. For Nebraska, his "impressiveness" should come from play calling and offensive scheming. It does not. This isn't a high-school football program, it isn't a Division II program and this isn't 1996. I would rather see someone with recent success scheming and playcalling at a major program come here. I understand that it probably won't happen, but this attitude of "I heart mediocrity" with all of these coaching change-ups is somewhat disturbing.

The conviction that the hires are mediocre without any evidence is even more disturbing. If all you want is a big "splash" with every hire, then go root for Notre Dame. All those "great" hires have done them wonders over the last 15 years.

I don't want a "splash" and I don't want a "flashy" hire. I want a coordinator with recent success as a play-caller. The "evidence" of his mediocrity is his job history. Take all Beck's high school and D-II experience and file it under "not impressive." Reading Ed Warinner's account of Beck's limited responsibilities as a "coordinator" at Kansas makes one question how much credit he deserves for their relative success. Could beck be a future OC phenom? Sure, but it's a riskier gamble than hiring a proven success- something I think that Nebraska could have done.

it's funny you mentioned Snyder and the coaches he has produced, same could be said for Hayden Fry at Iowa (who Snyder coached for) whether Beck is a "flashy" hire or not, you cant deny that he has had been around a combined "million" years worth of coaching experience to learn from. The guy was hired for a reason...

Yes, he was hired because of the Youngstown connection with Bo.

There are probably *so* many guys out there for whom you could say: he played/coached under these greats. Doesn't necessarily mean much, but I do think Beck's resume is fairly promising.

I think Beck is sort of another Watson, but one grounded up in a different flavor of passing scheme, and one much more familiar with Bo. Also, minus the QB expertise and perhaps some of that reputation as an offensive mind. But, plus the Texas connection and all-out recruiting prowess.

Beck doesn't even have to be a great OC. Just decent. If we can put a mediocre to decent offense on the field regularly, I think we can compete with anyone in the country. Just teach them boys to hang onto the ball coach!

Don't kid yourselves, after year 1, Beck has to be a great OC.

Mediocre is what we have now. A mediocre offense will get routinely exposed by great defenses.

And if Beck's production with all his pieces healthy next year doesn't match Watson's at the beginning of the year, and we still struggle against the best teams...people will take notice.

It will take nothing less than a great offense to succeed against great defenses.

I think it is all going to come down to him being able to produce a solid offense. If he can lessen the fumbles,sacks, and penalties and just score 2 TDs per game our Defense will do the rest. Then boom we are in BCS bowls. If he can produce more than just solid then we all will be tattooing his name on us and singing praise. Look what we did with Lee at helm running a no-brainer power game. I'm sure Bo just trusts him not to let his O get in the way of the D and that's all we need.

Again, though, Bo trusts his guys to a fault... He finally realized Wats wasn't gonna work out and parted ways. The plan was for Beck to eventually take over all along... He's just putting the plan into action. Handing the reigns over to Beck.who he knows is a lot safer than bringing in a new guy... No matter how proven. At least Beck knows out guys and what he's got to work with.

Beck doesn't even have to be a great OC. Just decent. If we can put a mediocre to decent offense on the field regularly, I think we can compete with anyone in the country. Just teach them boys to hang onto the ball coach!

Don't kid yourselves, after year 1, Beck has to be a great OC.

Mediocre is what we have now. A mediocre offense will get routinely exposed by great defenses.

And if Beck's production with all his pieces healthy next year doesn't match Watson's at the beginning of the year, and we still struggle against the best teams...people will take notice.

It will take nothing less than a great offense to succeed against great defenses.

Meh, with a mediocre offense we beat Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. Terrible is what we have now.

I don't want a "splash" and I don't want a "flashy" hire. I want a coordinator with recent success as a play-caller. The "evidence" of his mediocrity is his job history. Take all Beck's high school and D-II experience and file it under "not impressive." Reading Ed Warinner's account of Beck's limited responsibilities as a "coordinator" at Kansas makes one question how much credit he deserves for their relative success. Could beck be a future OC phenom? Sure, but it's a riskier gamble than hiring a proven success- something I think that Nebraska could have done.

Ok, using your criteria, who should NU hire? Not very many BCS school OC's are going to make a lateral move. Only guy that I know off the top of my head is Warinner.

From a purely name recognition standpoint everywhere he's been is mediocre. If he was AMAZINGLY successful at Kansas School for the deaf does that all of a sudden qualify the school as similar to Ohio State? Quit just asking me how they are mediocre when you know they are bottom-middle of the pack schools.

Ok, I see what you meant. Purely on name recognition I'd agree with you.

Difference of philosophy here. I'm talking about whether Beck did a mediocre job as a coach. IMO name recognition means next to nothing about how good a coach Beck is. Personally I don't think there's enough evidence to draw conclusions about how Beck will do as the OC.

From a purely name recognition standpoint everywhere he's been is mediocre. If he was AMAZINGLY successful at Kansas School for the deaf does that all of a sudden qualify the school as similar to Ohio State? Quit just asking me how they are mediocre when you know they are bottom-middle of the pack schools.

Ok, I see what you meant. Purely on name recognition I'd agree with you.

Difference of philosophy here. I'm talking about whether Beck did a mediocre job as a coach. IMO name recognition means next to nothing about how good a coach Beck is. Personally I don't think there's enough evidence to draw conclusions about how Beck will do as the OC.

Name recognition get's you that splash. It probably helps recruiting in year 1, maybe year two. After that it doesn't mean as much I agree. Kiffin had some very solid recruiters on his staff at Tennessee, but look at the splash he made and the recruiting class he pulled out of Florida/Alabama/Georgia in that first year. That can be attributed to name recognition. I would bet the farm Florida recruits out of this world on offense for the next year or two with Charlie. They probably would have anyway, but they will be the first on the list of every pro-style QB until they prove they can't compete at the level they used to. As much as so many on here applaud his HS coaching career, Beck will have a harder time selling a QB on his success at the HS level and at an NAIA school, than Charlie would talking about how he coached Tom Brady, and put QB's into the NFL at Notre Dame wouldn't you agree?

Beyond that, name recognition won't win games (although you could argue the recruits it brings in would). Like I said, I like the Beck hire - just saying it's not something I'm going to go get drunk celebrating over.