Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's a good pic illustrating what I didn't want to see from Taylor. This is his long pass in the first quarter which went for an incompletion. The pic shows Taylor throwing off his back foot, no stable base, not stepping into the throw. Gotta get that fixed.

LINK

Good call Knapp. man... I really wonder how this can keep happening. How can QB after QB at NU have such poor mechanics? A guy would need an absolute cannon to get anything on a pass so poorly delivered. TMart hangs these passes up that have no velocity, no zip. Why? All arm, no follow through, no use of hip rotation. When will it end???

Not only QBs with poor mechanics, but WRs who can't catch. We have had such a poor passing game for SO LONG it's mind-boggling. You would think that a team like Nebraska could lure a solid passer here, maybe a guy who would normally have gone to some smaller school but who would be happy to take an NU scholarship.

That is a good point as well.

maybe there is a correlation here... maybe during practice, our QB's so rarely get the ball to a WR close enough to get their hands on the ball that our WRer's never get enough repetition in using their hands. So, when that rare accidental pass does hit them in the hands, they drop it, having had so little experience touching a football.

I am astonished that there are those out there who see us with an undefeated, or a one- or two- defeat season this year. If NU, in the regular season, has fewer than 4 losses... then they will be going better than I'd think... again based upon the QB situation, upon the OL, and upon penalties and self destructive tendencies.

Taylor obviously went through some tough times, and I can see why anyone might say it's unfair to blame him. Probably everyone, ever, has had thoughts about leaving wherever they were. And obviously Taylor did not go through with it.

But some things are being seriously misrepresented. A garbage chain e-mail that seemed to originate from the Texas Rivals site claimed that Taylor was transferring. Saying that this is what the insiders claimed is confusion by association. Something happened with Taylor that weekend, and as a result the buzz was that he was privately suspended for Colorado.

Likewise with the beginning of the year, prior to the scrimmage that got everyone excited about Taylor. To many close to the program, it looked like Taylor might actually be gone at that point. Yeah, that did not come to pass. But what do you think made it look like that? These 'insiders' are not fortune tellers who get off on having a good prediction record. They simply share opinions based on what they know, and circumstances change frequently.

Based on everything we've heard, I think it's very likely that Taylor had several moments of frustration that led him to question his status and commitment to the team. That is not necessarily a strike against him; I mean, Crouch actually physically drove off to Omaha, then came back to lead us to a National Championship appearance and win a Heisman, providing some sick highlights along the way. You might look at this and say, "Well, it's just a redshirt freshman that had some bumps on the road in the early going. The coaches will manage him well and he'll be fine." I would mostly agree with that, but I worry also that Taylor might be a potential powder keg that would have a very negative result on the program. Or you could stick your fingers in your ears and scream, "LA LA LA , I'm not listening, Taylor has always been a model Husker!" I would save that adulation for guys like Rex, who've earned it.

Anyway...this entire discussion started from one point: why I think Taylor would transfer if he lost the starting job. And yes, nobody would blame him. An entrenched starter losing his job when he still has years to play, should find a better opportunity elsewhere, because he can. And to be clear, I don't hate Taylor, in the same way I don't hate Crouch or even Beck (who drove considerably further)...simply sharing an opinion on what might have happened, although I can see that we're not very receptive to that possibility. And yeah, if Taylor lights it up this year, I could care less about any personal or dad issues from the past.

Taylor obviously went through some tough times, and I can see why anyone might say it's unfair to blame him. Probably everyone, ever, has had thoughts about leaving wherever they were. And obviously Taylor did not go through with it.

But some things are being seriously misrepresented. A garbage chain e-mail that seemed to originate from the Texas Rivals site claimed that Taylor was transferring. Saying that this is what the insiders claimed is confusion by association. Something happened with Taylor that weekend, and as a result the buzz was that he was privately suspended for Colorado.

Likewise with the beginning of the year, prior to the scrimmage that got everyone excited about Taylor. To many close to the program, it looked like Taylor might actually be gone at that point. Yeah, that did not come to pass. But what do you think made it look like that? These 'insiders' are not fortune tellers who get off on having a good prediction record. They simply share opinions based on what they know, and circumstances change frequently.

Based on everything we've heard, I think it's very likely that Taylor had several moments of frustration that led him to question his status and commitment to the team. That is not necessarily a strike against him; I mean, Crouch actually physically drove off to Omaha, then came back to lead us to a National Championship appearance and win a Heisman, providing some sick highlights along the way. You might look at this and say, "Well, it's just a redshirt freshman that had some bumps on the road in the early going. The coaches will manage him well and he'll be fine." I would mostly agree with that, but I worry also that Taylor might be a potential powder keg that would have a very negative result on the program. Or you could stick your fingers in your ears and scream, "LA LA LA , I'm not listening, Taylor has always been a model Husker!" I would save that adulation for guys like Rex, who've earned it.

Anyway...this entire discussion started from one point: why I think Taylor would transfer if he lost the starting job. And yes, nobody would blame him. An entrenched starter losing his job when he still has years to play, should find a better opportunity elsewhere, because he can. And to be clear, I don't hate Taylor, in the same way I don't hate Crouch or even Beck (who drove considerably further)...simply sharing an opinion on what might have happened, although I can see that we're not very receptive to that possibility. And yeah, if Taylor lights it up this year, I could care less about any personal or dad issues from the past.

:facepalm:

What the hell are you talking about?

You're trying to talk about what was in Taylor's head. We have as much real evidence that Martinez has thought about leaving the program as we do that Rex Burkhead has thought about leaving the program. There's only hearsay, all of which has turned out to be wrong. So why would you turn around and say, "well, maybe part of it was true?"

I don't think that Taylor is a "model Husker," whatever the hell that is, and I don't idolize athletes. People who do are just asking to get disappointed. I am however going to step up to defend a kid who played hurt for his team when people accuse him of not being a team player and of leaving the team when there isn't a shred of evidence to back that up.

There are people on this board who don't like how Taylor plays, and there are people on this board who don't like Taylor. The first one is fine, the second one is pathetic.

• Fire 1

I think the suggestion that the reports of Taylor having left the team at least at one point, are coming only from people who have some sort of personal vendetta against the guy, is misplaced.

I'm not saying part of it was true. I'm saying it's been said that he did, in fact, leave the team. And then come back. It's things like these that have some folks lukewarm on Taylor, rather than the other way around - i.e, they hated him based on nothing, and are concocting stories to justify it.

Anyway, this is all a bit pointless, I guess. There's not going to be an official newspaper source on this, ergo it's all untrue. But I don't have a problem with Bo going out of his way to defend Taylor about the cell phone stuff, that's Bo, he sticks up for his players to the world and I really like that out of a head coach.

A lot of the time, especially when you think about the ankle/turf toe stuff and breakout freshman year, think of the similarities between Martinez and hall_fame-DeAngelo_Evens.jpg. Does anyone else ever think about their similarities? I mean, I hope that they don't share a similar fate, but everytime I hear something about Martinez, I always feel like it comes back to that foot. I hope that it actually gets a chance to mend this summer and that the coaches don't keep pushing for a quick recovery.

You're trying to talk about what was in Taylor's head. We have as much real evidence that Martinez has thought about leaving the program as we do that Rex Burkhead has thought about leaving the program. There's only hearsay, all of which has turned out to be wrong. So why would you turn around and say, "well, maybe part of it was true?"

I don't think that Taylor is a "model Husker," whatever the hell that is, and I don't idolize athletes. People who do are just asking to get disappointed. I am however going to step up to defend a kid who played hurt for his team when people accuse him of not being a team player and of leaving the team when there isn't a shred of evidence to back that up.

There are people on this board who don't like how Taylor plays, and there are people on this board who don't like Taylor. The first one is fine, the second one is pathetic.

Why? Aren't people allowed to make their own decisions on whether or not they like or dislike someone?

Why? Aren't people allowed to make their own decisions on whether or not they like or dislike someone?

Sure. But ripping them anonymously on a message board behind their back for personal reasons is cowardly and pathetic. These kids are student-athletes, give them some space.

Sure. But ripping them anonymously on a message board behind their back for personal reasons is cowardly and pathetic. These kids are student-athletes, give them some space.

So where do we draw the line of "ripping" on people for personal reasons? Do we have to actually" know" them? Does it have to be verbal? Do they have to be a certain age first? Have you never ripped anyone in your life?

I have never understood the the whole "they're just kids" argument. Why is it ok to play these kids up, hype them up, give tremendous praise and accolade during the recruiting stages or when they have great games, but when they start to act/perform less than admirably, we have to take it easy....because they're student-athletes? If they're old enough/mature for the positive spotlight they should be aware/realistic enough to realize that things go both ways.

I'm not really ripping Taylor, so I'll add something positive.

False, unsubstantiated rumor has it that Taylor will be in California this summer working with a QBs coach. Does that have you excited about his development as a quarterback, and as a leader? It does for me! I would say this is an outstanding and very promising development, and makes his hold on the QB1 spot even more firm. I'm most impressed that he is getting after it and seeking extra help to develop in these critical areas. We might be seeing a totally different player next year.

False, unsubstantiated rumor has it that Taylor will be in California this summer working with a QBs coach. Does that have you excited about his development as a quarterback, and as a leader? It does for me! I would say this is an outstanding and very promising development, and makes his hold on the QB1 spot even more firm. I'm most impressed that he is getting after it and seeking extra help to develop in these critical areas. We might be seeing a totally different player next year.

Umm....somewhat. It is great that he is taking strides to fix his crappy mechanics, footwork, and recognition of routes and reads. However, working out with your team, getting timing/feel for Wrs, forming tighter team bonds(lacking still :dunno with the whole team) is just as important me thinks. I'll go with a push on is this a good move, leaning towards not a good move.

EDIT-hopefully I read this right, because I am tired and slightly buzzex

So where do we draw the line of "ripping" on people for personal reasons? Do we have to actually" know" them? Does it have to be verbal? Do they have to be a certain age first? Have you never ripped anyone in your life?

I have never understood the the whole "they're just kids" argument. Why is it ok to play these kids up, hype them up, give tremendous praise and accolade during the recruiting stages or when they have great games, but when they start to act/perform less than admirably, we have to take it easy....because they're student-athletes? If they're old enough/mature for the positive spotlight they should be aware/realistic enough to realize that things go both ways.

The difference is, attacking someone's play on the field based on visible and calculable evidence is one thing. Attacking someone's character based on message board rumors and e-penis bragging is completely different, and wrong. To say his play on the field needs work, or that he played a crappy game is perfectly fine. To accuse someone of being a whiny crybaby selfish team killer (I've heard all these) based on innuendo and conjecture is idiotic. We, as husker fans, are supposed to be better than this.

"Greatest fans" my ass....

• Fire 1

That's where you lost me. Where did you hear this?