Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not really ripping Taylor, so I'll add something positive.

False, unsubstantiated rumor has it that Taylor will be in California this summer working with a QBs coach. Does that have you excited about his development as a quarterback, and as a leader? It does for me! I would say this is an outstanding and very promising development, and makes his hold on the QB1 spot even more firm. I'm most impressed that he is getting after it and seeking extra help to develop in these critical areas. We might be seeing a totally different player next year.

That's where you lost me. Where did you hear this?

From third-hand innuendo spinners bragging about their e-penises :cheers

(It was mentioned in passing on Rivals)

PaulCrewe, in spite of that, I do think it's a good move. He has access to expertise he wouldn't have in Lincoln. I don't think it's a big deal, missing some time.

Saunders, I hope you aren't characterizing me as some slandering Taylor's character based on innuendo. Likewise, I hope the 'greatest fan' talk was there when Niles Paul, Corey McKeon, Sam Keller, and the like all had their characters attacked fairly harshly based on, well, similar innuendo.

Rivals, whence false information never arises. :rolleyes:

PaulCrewe, in spite of that, I do think it's a good move. He has access to expertise he wouldn't have in Lincoln. I don't think it's a big deal, missing some time.

Let's presume this is true. Do you really think he'll "miss time" this summer? Or don't you think it's more likely he'd fit it in around his regular schedule? They do take time off from drills during the summer.

Saunders, I hope you aren't characterizing me as some slandering Taylor's character based on innuendo. Likewise, I hope the 'greatest fan' talk was there when Niles Paul, Corey McKeon, Sam Keller, and the like all had their characters attacked fairly harshly based on, well, similar innuendo.

Regarding the bold:

Taylor obviously went through some tough times, and I can see why anyone might say it's unfair to blame him. Probably everyone, ever, has had thoughts about leaving wherever they were. And obviously Taylor did not go through with it.

But some things are being seriously misrepresented. A garbage chain e-mail that seemed to originate from the Texas Rivals site claimed that Taylor was transferring. Saying that this is what the insiders claimed is confusion by association. Something happened with Taylor that weekend, and as a result the buzz was that he was privately suspended for Colorado.

Likewise with the beginning of the year, prior to the scrimmage that got everyone excited about Taylor. To many close to the program, it looked like Taylor might actually be gone at that point. Yeah, that did not come to pass. But what do you think made it look like that? These 'insiders' are not fortune tellers who get off on having a good prediction record. They simply share opinions based on what they know, and circumstances change frequently.

Based on everything we've heard, I think it's very likely that Taylor had several moments of frustration that led him to question his status and commitment to the team. That is not necessarily a strike against him; I mean, Crouch actually physically drove off to Omaha, then came back to lead us to a National Championship appearance and win a Heisman, providing some sick highlights along the way. You might look at this and say, "Well, it's just a redshirt freshman that had some bumps on the road in the early going. The coaches will manage him well and he'll be fine." I would mostly agree with that, but I worry also that Taylor might be a potential powder keg that would have a very negative result on the program. Or you could stick your fingers in your ears and scream, "LA LA LA , I'm not listening, Taylor has always been a model Husker!" I would save that adulation for guys like Rex, who've earned it.

Anyway...this entire discussion started from one point: why I think Taylor would transfer if he lost the starting job. And yes, nobody would blame him. An entrenched starter losing his job when he still has years to play, should find a better opportunity elsewhere, because he can. And to be clear, I don't hate Taylor, in the same way I don't hate Crouch or even Beck (who drove considerably further)...simply sharing an opinion on what might have happened, although I can see that we're not very receptive to that possibility. And yeah, if Taylor lights it up this year, I could care less about any personal or dad issues from the past.

A great American once said: Stupid is as stupid does, sir. You seem to be wanting to use a modified Nuremberg Defense, except that instead of "I was just following orders," you're saying, "I was just reposting what I heard." You do a great deal of perpetuating myths, most of which are unflattering in the extreme toward one of our players. You don't get a pass because you weren't the fount of the slander.

As far as McKeon , Niles and Sam, you seem to be saying that two wrongs make it right, and that's certainly not the case. I've defended the character of McKeon, Niles and Keller AND Martinez. You cannot say the same.

My goodness - don't believe it, then.

A great American once said: Stupid is as stupid does, sir. You seem to be wanting to use a modified Nuremberg Defense, except that instead of "I was just following orders," you're saying, "I was just reposting what I heard." You do a great deal of perpetuating myths, most of which are unflattering in the extreme toward one of our players. You don't get a pass because you weren't the fount of the slander.

I'm posting my opinions, the same as anyone does on this board. They are based on what I know, same as anyone on this board. What I know is what I read and choose to believe - same as anyone on this board. How is what I said there unflattering in the extreme? Taylor left the team once, which makes me worry if this is a potential powder keg going forward. But everyone goes through tough times, especially early in their careers - so you can't fault him too bad as a person, and you just hope that he moves past it. But it is a bad sign to see in your starting QB. Remember how this conversation arose? Someone insisting it was ridiculous to think Taylor would transfer if he lost the starting job. Come on, I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that. But either Taylor was about ready to go back in August, or a lot of people are spinning lies about him because they hate the guy, out of nowhere.

Crouch really did almost leave, and then he came back and did great. I'm not his biggest fan, but I liked him as a player a lot. The same, I think, can happen with Taylor, and the bit about him getting to work with a private coach in California is the latest promising sign. The spring has rather been full of promising signs in my opinion, so I'm pretty optimistic that he's turned a corner.

But if you look at this as a bunch of myth-spreading, there's no point in going further down that road. We'll agree to disagree on the credibility of the information. I think it's plausible and something to consider; you think it's farce. I don't think there's going to be a meeting in the middle here.

Taylor didn't leave the team, that's your problem. A very few people on last year's team were uber-pissed that a Freshman got the starting QB job over an incumbent Senior, and they never forgave Taylor for that. When he went through growing pains and handled them poorly it was spun as him leaving the team, him being divisive, him having a bad attitude, etc. He was the new guy, the guys spinning tales had been there for years and had many buddies on the team. Taylor didn't help anything with his awkwardness, his flippant answers to the media and his failures on the field. It snowballed from there, and those of us trying to speak reality were shouted down by the Gossip Girls and their clique.

I am sorry if you think that pointing out the fallacies of your own words and your own conclusions is some analysis of your class. I cannot help how you feel inside.

I'm not really ripping Taylor, so I'll add something positive.

False, unsubstantiated rumor has it that Taylor will be in California this summer working with a QBs coach. Does that have you excited about his development as a quarterback, and as a leader? It does for me! I would say this is an outstanding and very promising development, and makes his hold on the QB1 spot even more firm. I'm most impressed that he is getting after it and seeking extra help to develop in these critical areas. We might be seeing a totally different player next year.

That's where you lost me. Where did you hear this?

I'm not. You've been fairly balanced, and haven't resorted to making it personal. However, I've seen way to many people repeat lies and innuendo on this board, others, and Facebook, and it really pisses me off. When you see idiots post comments like "I hope Carnes starts because Taylor is selfish and doesn't like his teammates" or "Love Huskers sports! One thing I don't like is Martinez! He thinks everything is about him" it makes me angry.

You're right; that shouldn't have been directed to you, and I removed it.

A very few people on last year's team were uber-pissed that a Freshman got the starting QB job over an incumbent Senior, and they never forgave Taylor for that. When he went through growing pains and handled them poorly it was spun as him leaving the team, him being divisive, him having a bad attitude, etc. He was the new guy, the guys spinning tales had been there for years and had many buddies on the team.

Links, or this slandering of unnamed players on last year's team didn't happen :)

saunders, fair enough. cheers, mate :cheers I'm also not a huge fan of the excessively anti-Taylor sentiments. Definitely, some of it has become rather exaggerated.

My goodness - don't believe it, then.

I'm posting my opinions, the same as anyone does on this board. They are based on what I know, same as anyone on this board. What I know is what I read and choose to believe - same as anyone on this board. How is what I said there unflattering in the extreme? Taylor left the team once, which makes me worry if this is a potential powder keg going forward. But everyone goes through tough times, especially early in their careers - so you can't fault him too bad as a person, and you just hope that he moves past it. But it is a bad sign to see in your starting QB. Remember how this conversation arose? Someone insisting it was ridiculous to think Taylor would transfer if he lost the starting job. Come on, I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that. But either Taylor was about ready to go back in August, or a lot of people are spinning lies about him because they hate the guy, out of nowhere.

Crouch really did almost leave, and then he came back and did great. I'm not his biggest fan, but I liked him as a player a lot. The same, I think, can happen with Taylor, and the bit about him getting to work with a private coach in California is the latest promising sign. The spring has rather been full of promising signs in my opinion, so I'm pretty optimistic that he's turned a corner.

But if you look at this as a bunch of myth-spreading, there's no point in going further down that road. We'll agree to disagree on the credibility of the information. I think it's plausible and something to consider; you think it's farce. I don't think there's going to be a meeting in the middle here.

It only takes one person with unreliable info, or an agenda to start something. When the e-penis guys jump on it with their "My sources are saying the same thing" crap, then it snowballs. I find highly odd that the "Taylor leaving during the fall", "Taylor leaving after A&M game", and "Bo was seriously considering the Miami job" rumors all originated from the same place. Especially when Taylor came out and said that he was never leaving the team, and it was never in his mind. The kid has now come out and said it twice. He shouldn't have to address every rumor.

Let's presume this is true. Do you really think he'll "miss time" this summer? Or don't you think it's more likely he'd fit it in around his regular schedule? They do take time off from drills during the summer.

Forgot this one. I don't know. The poster(s) seemed to suggest that he wouldn't be around for the summer, but noted it was for different reasons than Marlon Lucky not being around for one of his summers. I don't know what the specifics are, but again, I think Taylor missing time to dedicate it to honing his craft in California is really great news for him, and the team. JMO, don't see a big negative there. Not sure how the summer is structured, though.

You're right; that shouldn't have been directed to you, and I removed it.

A very few people on last year's team were uber-pissed that a Freshman got the starting QB job over an incumbent Senior, and they never forgave Taylor for that. When he went through growing pains and handled them poorly it was spun as him leaving the team, him being divisive, him having a bad attitude, etc. He was the new guy, the guys spinning tales had been there for years and had many buddies on the team.

Links, or this slandering of unnamed players on last year's team didn't happen :)

saunders, fair enough. cheers, mate :cheers I'm also not a huge fan of the excessively anti-Taylor sentiments. Definitely, some of it has become rather exaggerated.

No worries bro. Like I said, criticizing a players game performance is fine, but it's the personal attacks that get me mad. Sometimes we forget that we're all rooting for the same team, and the players are people, not machines.

• Fire 1

Links, or this slandering of unnamed players on last year's team didn't happen

If you will kindly show me how to link to personal conversations, I'll link them.

Forgot this one. I don't know. The poster(s) seemed to suggest that he wouldn't be around for the summer, but noted it was for different reasons than Marlon Lucky not being around for one of his summers. I don't know what the specifics are, but again, I think Taylor missing time to dedicate it to honing his craft in California is really great news for him, and the team. JMO, don't see a big negative there. Not sure how the summer is structured, though.

Either they misrepresented this, or it just wasn't written clearly, or something. Taylor is not going to "miss the summer" here in Lincoln. He'll go to Cali to see his family during breaks, and he may see a QB expert while he's there, but he'll be here for summer workouts.

I don't recall Lucky missing a summer of workouts. Was that during his "injury" time?

I just want a QB who has heart. Who isn't afraid of getting in guys faces and getting in that huddle and taking command, letting the other guys know they're about to go the length of the field and score. I will just say that if I continually see shots of Taylor Martinez all by himself on the sideline again this year and our offense isn't doing so hot and I'm not talking against the creampuffs on our schedule then just yank him. I want a leader behind center not some guy who just goes off by himself and doesn't talk to his teammates about the last play or the next play coming up. That much I do know.

:restore

I just want a QB who has heart. Who isn't afraid of getting in guys faces and getting in that huddle and taking command, letting the other guys know they're about to go the length of the field and score. I will just say that if I continually see shots of Taylor Martinez all by himself on the sideline again this year and our offense isn't doing so hot and I'm not talking against the creampuffs on our schedule then just yank him. I want a leader behind center not some guy who just goes off by himself and doesn't talk to his teammates about the last play or the next play coming up. That much I do know.

:restore

I've rewatched the entire season the last couple weeks. The only time Taylor was shown sitting by himself alone, was when he was hurt, or not playing in that game. As for getting in people's faces, someone posted in another thread that Taylor did just that, and some older players got butthurt about it. So...