Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Heh, no sweat zoogies. You never offend me. We just think different, that's all. Or maybe more accurately we just want NU to run different offenses.

Sure zoogies those are very good points for the offense you would like. I just think you grossly undervalue outrageous gap speed. Crouch was at "best" a marginal passer but he carried NU on his back for 3.5 years primarily due his insane acceleration. Tmart has that zoogies and it's a huge asset when used coherently. There's endless boatloads of qbs that can make the reads, throw the ball decently and so on. But very few of them lead their teams to success our "marginal" passers did.

Tmart very well may never be a good pocket passer. But neither were Frost, Frazier, S. Taylor, Crouch and so on. They sure won a lot of games and hardware though.

The bottom line is we gotta be able to run the ball my friend. A great pocket passer "or" a Tmart/DRob can open that up. It looks like Bo wants a qb who runs like a scalded dog. Maybe I'm wrong though.....we'll see!

I'm not zoogies, but I took his comments as being more about the "intangibles" of being a good QB - like toughness, leadership, competitiveness, etc. Those are the areas TMart really needs to improve IMO. If he's a marginal passer, I'm ok with that as long as he gives us the best chance to win. Can he take a team down the field and get the winning score in the clutch? Ganz and Z. Taylor had that quality (along with Frazier, Frost, Gill, etc. etc.) and it made them better QB's than TMart, no matter the 40 times.

Well, I don't know for sure but I'm inclined to think none of those guys had that superb "intangibles" as freshmen. We'll see if he's got it or not though....

Agreed. Everyone keeps dogging Taylor because he hasn't developed the same skills as guys who were here for 4-5 years and hat the time to develop.

Also, the next person to question Taylor's "toughness" needs to punch themselves in the face for being an idiot. The kid played with 2 bad wheels, and tried to gut it out when he could barely walk.

The next guy to compare Martinez to guys that were 10 to 25 years ago needs to punch themselves in the face for living in the past. In todays college football world guys like Crouch and Frost wouldnt be playing QB, they would probably be playing DB or WR. Funny other schools wanted Martinez as a DB, not QB.

Crouch and Frost would have played QB damn well in the right system. Crouch would have owned in RR's spread option that he used at WVU with Pat White. It's funny that you throw your illogical comment out there, and yet, do what you said was stupid.

But keep chugging on the Martinez hate train. We know you will.

Chugging away.

My point was most schools are looking for QBs that are more passing oriented than anything else. Not a guy that runs like a deer but cant hit the side of the barn.

Heh, no sweat zoogies. You never offend me. We just think different, that's all. Or maybe more accurately we just want NU to run different offenses.

Sure zoogies those are very good points for the offense you would like. I just think you grossly undervalue outrageous gap speed. Crouch was at "best" a marginal passer but he carried NU on his back for 3.5 years primarily due his insane acceleration. Tmart has that zoogies and it's a huge asset when used coherently. There's endless boatloads of qbs that can make the reads, throw the ball decently and so on. But very few of them lead their teams to success our "marginal" passers did.

Tmart very well may never be a good pocket passer. But neither were Frost, Frazier, S. Taylor, Crouch and so on. They sure won a lot of games and hardware though.

The bottom line is we gotta be able to run the ball my friend. A great pocket passer "or" a Tmart/DRob can open that up. It looks like Bo wants a qb who runs like a scalded dog. Maybe I'm wrong though.....we'll see!

I'm not zoogies, but I took his comments as being more about the "intangibles" of being a good QB - like toughness, leadership, competitiveness, etc. Those are the areas TMart really needs to improve IMO. If he's a marginal passer, I'm ok with that as long as he gives us the best chance to win. Can he take a team down the field and get the winning score in the clutch? Ganz and Z. Taylor had that quality (along with Frazier, Frost, Gill, etc. etc.) and it made them better QB's than TMart, no matter the 40 times.

Well, I don't know for sure but I'm inclined to think none of those guys had that superb "intangibles" as freshmen. We'll see if he's got it or not though....

Agreed. Everyone keeps dogging Taylor because he hasn't developed the same skills as guys who were here for 4-5 years and hat the time to develop.

Also, the next person to question Taylor's "toughness" needs to punch themselves in the face for being an idiot. The kid played with 2 bad wheels, and tried to gut it out when he could barely walk.

The next guy to compare Martinez to guys that were 10 to 25 years ago needs to punch themselves in the face for living in the past. In todays college football world guys like Crouch and Frost wouldnt be playing QB, they would probably be playing DB or WR. Funny other schools wanted Martinez as a DB, not QB.

Crouch and Frost would have played QB damn well in the right system. Crouch would have owned in RR's spread option that he used at WVU with Pat White. It's funny that you throw your illogical comment out there, and yet, do what you said was stupid.

But keep chugging on the Martinez hate train. We know you will.

Chugging away.

My point was most schools are looking for QBs that are more passing oriented than anything else. Not a guy that runs like a deer but cant hit the side of the barn.

Right..... but we aren't most schools. We never have been like the Miami's or USC's or Alabama's. We've never had blue chip pocket passers, and more than likely, we never will. It's the nature of the beast.

With the time he's had to prepare, correct "stuff", and heal, I was hoping to see more from our "Starting Quarterback".... But I am not surprised by what I saw today.

I'm still confident with our team as a whole. Saw ALOT of good quarterback play by the "youngsters", as well as CG.

Still confident with my Quarterback analysis although there is no way Bubba turns down a chance to play baseball. Such a great sport, and will benefit his entire family.

Hope everyone can realize that things change for a reason... not on here trying to "bash" anyone, just stating facts.

I guess "toughness" is the wrong word. I meant the ability to bounce back and play well after making a mistake or series of mistakes - resiliency? Last year TMart's confidence seemed to collapse if he had some bad series. And I'm not comparing him to those great players right now, I'm saying he needs to develop some of the intangibles that players like those QB's have. It's what ALL the QB's on our roster have lacked since Ganz graduated IMO.

More reason to believe in Carnes.

1. With the adjusted playbook and terminology, Martinez's experience advantage has been reduced, if not negated. Carnes is here for the spring, so he has pretty even footing as far as learning the offense. Bubba has only the fall to get up to speed.

2. Martinez is not great at throwing when he is not set. The few times he threw on the run, his accuracy was terrible. Kind of negates the advantage his mobility brings in the roll out game. The roll out game will much better suit Carnes.

3. Martinez is not good diagnosing plays; he never read the zone read, and he rarely got past his first progression. Not a natural in the passing game.

4. Confidence won't be a problem for Carnes. Martinez has shown he can get rattled pretty good.

Granted, I'm making some assumptions for Carnes, and of course he will have growing pains / freshmen moments. I still like his chances.

More reason to believe in Carnes.

Carnes is going to the be guy!!!! I have a strong feeling on this one.

Schuhbdoo

I will stand by my statement. Throws very well on the run. Just what this offense needs. He may start the first game but he will be the guy by the end of this season. Just a guess.

Based on what, do you think that Martinez would not leave the team if he lost his job? If that happened, nobody could really fault him.

If that happened, everyone would fault him for being selfish instead of a team player, for being a sore loser instead of a tough competitor.

I don't go around assuming that guys are going to leave the team if they lose their job. I don't assume that ANY of the players would do that, Martinez included. The question is, why do you assume that about Martinez only?

That whole sentiment is based entirely on rumors that were already proven false, or on simple personal dislike of the player. Nothing else.

I missed the spring game and have not read all the posts. Did the third and fourth string QB's actually face the top defense.

If not comparisons are useless. If the coaching staff felt that QB 3 or 4 were of the level of the other two they would have played against the 1's and two's defense.

Martinez is the starter, Green is far more likely to transfer than Martinez. He still is not near what he needs to be, from comments I have heard from friends, and may be overtaken by Kellog or Carnes.

I do see the continual, the guy on the bench is better than our starter groupies starting arise again.

Hope all had fun and learned a lot.