Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lol at people voting anyone but Taylor Martinez right now. Jesus, you could argue Zac last season based on experience alone, but people voting for Turner, Carnes, etc despite them never playing a snap for us, come on. The kid was a Heisman dark horse, then got injured and his production fell off. Yes, he faced tougher defenses into the season as well. But lets not forget he was just a freshman and now has a season of experience (hard-earned experience at that) under his belt too. (He just needs to learn to make some of the throws that he couldn't last season) There is zero basis, no available information, no reference point for voting anyone but Taylor right now. (Yes, we've seen Cody. Don't bother trying to make an argument there. Decent QB, not as good as Taylor.) After the spring game, I mean at least we will see some of them play and can argue (probably pointlessly) about that. But right now this poll is pointless.

Lol at people voting anyone but Taylor Martinez right now. Jesus, you could argue Zac last season based on experience alone, but people voting for Turner, Carnes, etc despite them never playing a snap for us, come on. The kid was a Heisman dark horse, then got injured and his production fell off. Yes, he faced tougher defenses into the season as well. But lets not forget he was just a freshman and now has a season of experience (hard-earned experience at that) under his belt too. (He just needs to learn to make some of the throws that he couldn't last season) There is zero basis, no available information, no reference point for voting anyone but Taylor right now. (Yes, we've seen Cody. Don't bother trying to make an argument there. Decent QB, not as good as Taylor.) After the spring game, I mean at least we will see some of them play and can argue (probably pointlessly) about that. But right now this poll is pointless.

I love how everyone just assumes the backups just sit around and don't do anything.

No practice, no nothing.

I love how everyone just assumes the backups just sit around and don't do anything.

No practice, no nothing.

I'm not seeing where tschu said that, or even implied that. I think most people dogging on the votes for Carnes are saying he hasn't faced D1 defenses yet, so how can we know he's better than a First-Team Freshman All-American?

I have coached many Olympic level athletes, world class motocross racers and I will tell you this, any injury has its drawbacks no matter the athlete. A toe, a ankle, a wrist has an affect on everything they do. Less aggressive when they are injured, more protective, not as quick to react.

No offense, but isn't this obvious? The sky is also blue too. Do you really have to coach Olympic level athletes to know that an injury can have a drawback against the athlete? An injury can hurt any athlete's chance at playing 100%.

Still, Martinez is our best quarterback on the roster, the back-ups are always just the more popular ones because they represent change, stability, and hope. There is a reason why Martinez started last year, now he maybe pushed in the spring, summer and fall, sure, but as of now, he is our best quarterback.

No practice, no nothing.

I'm not seeing where tschu said that, or even implied that. I think most people dogging on the votes for Carnes are saying he hasn't faced D1 defenses yet, so how can we know he's better than a First-Team Freshman All-American?

I could care less about stats or rivals.com honors at this point. It's 2011 now.

From this point on, anything that happened last year is now irrelevant with the offense being scrapped. New conference, new coaches, new teams (not to mention new defenses), new systems, new players, players who have been in the system and fighting for playing time.

This year is unlike any other year in that it is full of changes.

I don't agree that this poll is as "pointless" as some of you think it is.

What's a full season of film going to do for anyone when he's as fast as he is? Missouri had three years of film on Helu and he beat them like a drum. I get your point, but it's a little obvious, isn't it? Doesn't everything hinge on the OC and O Line? That's not really a caveat to what I wrote.

That's the problem, speed is about all he's got. Speed can be quickly and easily negated by a good defense. Maybe Daniel Davie should try out for QB, he's got a few steps on even Martinez. I'm just not going to jump on the "he's so fast it doesn't matter what the defense does" bandwagon. (don't take offense to that knapplc)

Oh, I see. You don't get our games in Kansas City. You didn't see the fact that Martinez' QB rating was 139 (39th in the country). You didn't see that he was sixth in the Big XII in Passing Efficiency (37th nationally). You must have missed the fact that Martinez was a couple of holding penalties shy of 1,000 yards rushing last year. You didn't see that he made the Freshman All-American squad (First Team). You didn't catch the fact that he finished 69th in the country in Total Offense (7th in conference). Or that he was 56th in the country in Points Responsible For. As a Freshman. Injured for half the season.

I can understand why someone who's not able to follow the team very closely would think "speed is about all he's has got." Those of us who are able to watch every game were able to see that he has a few other skills aside from speed.

Hopefully you have the Big Ten Network down in KC so you can see him play more often. It's a lot of fun watching him run the offense - when he's not injured.

Agree 100%.

Passing

Completions - 72

Attempts - 120

Comp. % - 60%

Total Yds. - 1161

Passing YPG - 145

TD's - 9

INTs - 3

Rushing

Attempts - 112

Total Yds. - 886

YPC - 7.9

YPG - 110.75

TD's - 12

All stats from before he was injured. Well, close, because I didn't break down the mizzou game by quarters (he was injured in the 1st).

But year, he sucks. :facepalm:

Watch the Oklahoma State game, and then the OU game. Notice a difference? He was rattled, his QB coach/OC sucked donkeyballs, and when a young player is unsure of what to do or confused, they rely on their athleticism to make plays, which he could not do. Calling seven step drops for him was suicide, and when a player loses confidence in his ability, and his coach (which, IMO, he did) he won't play as well.

I could care less about stats or rivals.com awards at this point. It's 2011 now.

From this point on, anything that happened last year is now irrelevant with the offense being scrapped. New conference, new coaches, new teams (not to mention new defenses), new systems, new players, players who have been in the system and fighting for playing time.

But aren't Rivals points all we have to go in for Carnes and Starling, the two guys you picked as #1? What else are you basing that on?

I agree that this year is full of changes, but you can't pretend that 2010 didn't happen. Green and Martinez both learned tough lessons last year, lessons that are going to help them in the QB competition this year. We can't just ignore that when we're guessing who will start, right?

I could care less about stats or rivals.com awards at this point. It's 2011 now.

But aren't Rivals points all we have to go in for Carnes and Starling, the two guys you picked as #1? What else are you basing that on?

I agree that this year is full of changes, but you can't pretend that 2010 didn't happen. Green and Martinez both learned tough lessons last year, lessons that are going to help them in the QB competition this year. We can't just ignore that when we're guessing who will start, right?

DING DING DING....

I can assure you that Carnes was right there with them learning lessons as well. Starling has much more to prove.

Piling up a massive amount of stats means nothing when you can't win the big games. Takes a team effort.

I can assure you that Carnes was right there with them learning lessons as well. Starling has much more to prove.

Piling up a massive amount of stats means nothing when you can't win the big games.

Like Tommie Frazier in his freshman year?

Piling up a massive amount of stats means nothing when you can't win the big games.

Haha, Let's compare Taylor to Tommie now. That's hilarious.

It's not as outlandish as you suggest.

Compare their freshman years. Taylor played against arguably tougher competition, and with less talent around him. Am I saying he's going to be better? No. But it's a valid comparison.

Compare their freshman years. Taylor played against arguably tougher competition, and with less talent around him. Am I saying he's going to be better? No. But it's a valid comparison.

Haha, we will see my friend. We will see.

Haha, we will see my friend. We will see.

See what? All I pointed out is that it's kinda foolish to judge Taylor's entire career based on a (good) freshman year, and as an example, I presented Tommie Frazier.