Two O Line Coach System

Bradr

Why keep Barney?

Because he has two sons on the team?

Because he can recruit?

Because he drives a Big Red pick-up?

Because he played at NU?

Because if he didn’t coach here he would be at some other high profile school?

Because of his sweet mustache?

Because when he crosses his arms he can rest them on his beer belly?

Because he used to coach “The Real Big Red”?

:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

Last year Barney blew off Milt plus had a rocky relationship with Wats. It was a cordial relationship but underlying tensions. He used Garrison very little. He's kind of a stubborn guy. As I understand it there was a good productive sit down meeting with BC on the advantages of having two line coaches, attitude etc. It was rumored that Bo had the convo, TO followed it up and I believe Milt was also consulted. If there's not a change this year I honestly believe there won't be a next year for him at NU.

And for the record. . .he has a way cool stash.

The QB coach part is usually done on the field and in meeting rooms, whereas the OC portion is normally going to be done off of the field.

But when they are on the field in practice - Beck needs to be on top of the entire system. He can't always just watch the QB, his footwork, timing, reads, etc.

True, but I guess that is where having a GA like Ganz will help. Hopefully he stays more than just another year or two.

As a poor GA? Unlikely. Isn't 2 years pretty much the norm? Does anyone know why he can't be hired to the support staff as "assistant to Tim Beck" or some other title, paid a bunch of money and then retained as "technically" the QB coach? I know they limit the number of assistants that can recruit, but how do they limit the numer or support staff members that can coach?

My guess is Ron Brown will be gone in 1-2 years and then there will be a spot for Ganz as a full time assistant.

i wonder how many other D-1 schools have 2 OL coaches? is this really necessary?

probably not many - but look around at how many have a dedicated QB coach...

exactly..............

Oregon, Auburn, Stanford and Wisconsin all managed just fine in 2010 without a dedicated QB coach.

did they all have first year OC's??

This isn't Beck's first year as an OC

Yes it is. Let's stop pretending like intramurals count.

i wonder how many other D-1 schools have 2 OL coaches? is this really necessary?

Does it matter? Do you want to be like other D-1 schools anyway? How many schools have back to back National Championships once not to mention twice? How many schools have a sell out record for football dating back to your grandpa's days? Who was the school to start a strength and conditioning program and reshape college football because of that?

I want to be Nebraska and do it our way. There is a reason we dominated foot ball for 3 decades.

i guess you missed my point, no, we don't need to emulate others, but it would seem to me we could use a dedicated qb coach, as much as 2 line coaches, but with Cotton....yeah, we probably need another!

That was my first thought exactly....."well, if cotton's staying at least we're getting him some help!"

probably not many - but look around at how many have a dedicated QB coach...

exactly..............

Oregon, Auburn, Stanford and Wisconsin all managed just fine in 2010 without a dedicated QB coach.

This

The OC acts as qb-coach at lots of teams. The OC should be hands-on with the guy running the O. If your coordinator isn't position-coaching at all the rest of the staff is stretched thin.

I absolutely LOVE the concept of two offensive line coaches. However, I think if offense gains a true identity, that will help the offensive line immensely and we should see improvement next season.

The true benefit of having two coaches will in 2012 and beyond. With this past year's recruiting class being stocked with so many STUD offensive linemen, we now have two sets of eyes on every snap in practice and in games. Starting with the first practice in March, we can have two stations of o-line practice going on simultaneously, that way the kids get basically twice as many reps at practice than last year. This 'extra' practice time will develop more depth faster. I believe moving to the two OL coaches, more than anything else, will re-establish the Pipeline at Nebraska.

I absolutely LOVE the concept of two offensive line coaches. However, I think if offense gains a true identity, that will help the offensive line immensely and we should see improvement next season.

The true benefit of having two coaches will in 2012 and beyond. With this past year's recruiting class being stocked with so many STUD offensive linemen, we now have two sets of eyes on every snap in practice and in games. Starting with the first practice in March, we can have two stations of o-line practice going on simultaneously, that way the kids get basically twice as many reps at practice than last year. This 'extra' practice time will develop more depth faster. I believe moving to the two OL coaches, more than anything else, will re-establish the Pipeline at Nebraska.

I concur

I concur

I agree also. Especially with the part that an idenity or at least a clue at what the o-line has to prepare for will be huge. I thought that Barney was thrown under the bus way to quickly considering the last two years we had to change up the offense twice in the same season. One man trying to quickly teach the o-line different concepts or just change the way the whole O is preparing had to be damn neared impossible. If we are able to stick with an O consistently and he still doesn't produce well then yes he should be gone, but I really do not see that happening.