Prince or Peterson ?

Blaze1up

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find it funny how your links have prince's ranking as second in cbs while Peterson is first.. Yes, Kiper has prince going at 9 but he also has peterson going on at 7. Peterson was also up against better wrs and qbs. Therefore, if you look at the numbers, they put up identical numbers (this is IF the lsu fans are even corret) while Peterson played superior competition. Dont get me wrong, prince is a good cb but Peterson is just a tad bit better. Also, your links dont prove the points you made because they even have prince second best at his psition, behind Peterson!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

You obviously havent watched football outside of the big XII. Big XII was weak this year compared to the talent in the SEC

I live in Florida and I am quite exposed to SEC football. In fact, I see more ACC and SEC than Big 12 by far. The Big 12 may have been "weak" but over the past 3 years, the big 12 has much better WR's and especially QB's. You also don't see the variety of offenses in the SEC like you do the Big 12, especially in regards to passing, and the spread. CB's also have a much harder time covering in the Big 12 because they're aren't allowed to be as physical with WR's as in the SEC.

Hm, lets see here Cam Newton, Ryan Mallet, Greg Mcelroy, Stephen Garcia and Jeremiah Masoli..or Blainne Gabbert, Landry Jones, Weeden, and Tennehill? Yeahh im going with the SEC batch on this one. Also, if you live in florida and if you are "quite exposed to SEC football" you would see that the SEC has bigger, physical and faster WRs than the Big XII.

McElroy? Masoli? Garcia? HAHAHAHAHA...... McElroy hands the ball off. Masoli was terribad in a conference that plays defense. Garcia was benched like 3 times last year by his own coach. Mallett is good, as is Newton (and the Tebowchild).But that list pales in comparison to: Blaine Gabbert, Landry Jones,Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, etc....

And FYI, I'm not just talking about last year, I'm talking about over the players a careers. Prince has faced better QB's and WR's. You also completely ignored my comments pointing out the differences in offensive styles. And then there's also the difference in officiating styles, which greatly hinders (or helps) a defense.

So, if you "watched football outside of the big XII" you would note the differences in play styles.

I suggest you stop with the media hype of the SEC speed garbage. Southern "speed" is the biggest myth in football.

Yet mcelroy, asoli and gracia are better then most of the big xii qbs besides gabbert and landry jones...that speed is realy overrated, how many NC's has the SEC won in a row? oh yeah..5. I hate SEC as much anyone on this board, but im not going to be a HOMER in my views. I find it funny that ppl complain about texas fans as being homers when our fanbase is just as bad...

Yet mcelroy, asoli and gracia are better then most of the big xii qbs besides gabbert and landry jones...that speed is realy overrated, how many NC's has the SEC won in a row? oh yeah..5. I hate SEC as much anyone on this board, but im not going to be a HOMER in my views. I find it funny that ppl complain about texas fans as being homers when our fanbase is just as bad...

Tis true, tis true. But it is a right to homer your own team, however for me personally reality blurs my homertism very often.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even when they are wrong.

I've seen a lot of both Peterson and Prince. My analysis:

Prince: Currently is the better of the two. More impactful as a CORNERBACK RIGHT NOW. More technically sound; however, he is more prone to penalties due to his, handsy nature.

Peterson: More athletic, not as technically sound, but has all the tools to become just as sound. Smart player, but relies almost entirely on his athleticism/speed at this point. He is like the Blake Griffin of football...just an athletic freak whose athleticism covers for lack of technique.

Peterson PROJECTS higher in the draft because he could pretty much be one of the best corners EVER with his ceiling. With Prince, you know what you're getting and there isn't a whole helluva lot more room for him to grow (his athleticism limits him).

With that said, the BETTER CORNERBACK AT THIS MOMENT, is Prince. In 5 years, I cannot say, but with any type of decent coaching my money would be on Peterson.

FWIW, Prince has faced better competition. Lol @ the argument that the SEC has better CB's and recievers. Hello Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, Michael Crabtree. Sam Bradford? Colt McCoy? Hell, Blaine Gabbert is probably a better passer than anyone in the SEC this past year except possibly Ryan Mallet who is a little trigger happy anyway.

• Fire 1

The question was - Who would YOU choose - Not opinions and analysis from others. Just because Kiper says something doesn't mean he's right.

The title of the thread is "Prince or Peterson?" In this case, if I was a GM, I'd take Peterson every day of the week. Better run stuffer, can be a threat in the return game, and is one hell of an athlete (one that a good coaching staff could turn into one of the best in the league).

However, the title of the poll is "Best CB?". Is this referring to best cover corner? best run support corner? best of both worlds? Best cover corner would go to Prince, but only by a slim margin. Peterson has Prince beat in all other aspects of football. Which player will track down a receiver on the other side of the field? Peterson. Which player will stand up Marion Barber in the hole? Peterson would have a better shot. I know that a corner's main responsibility is to not let the receiver make the catch, but I don't think Prince is that much better than Peterson at this to call him a better overall corner. A versatile corner is very valuable in the NFL (although so are shut down corners, but after watching Prince try and cover Blackmon, I don't think he's one of those either). I honestly don't think Prince has the greatest ball skills in the world either. I agree he's got good feet and seems to be in position to make plays, but when the ball is in the air (especially jump balls), it just seems like he struggles. I noticed this in games other than OK State too.

With all that being said, I go with Peterson (but I'd think twice about it).

I would think the fact that nearly half of the people answering this poll are voting against "our guy" would show we're trying to be objective. :dunno

I've seen a lot of both Peterson and Prince. My analysis:

Prince: Currently is the better of the two. More impactful as a CORNERBACK RIGHT NOW. More technically sound; however, he is more prone to penalties due to his, handsy nature.

Peterson: More athletic, not as technically sound, but has all the tools to become just as sound. Smart player, but relies almost entirely on his athleticism/speed at this point. He is like the Blake Griffin of football...just an athletic freak whose athleticism covers for lack of technique.

Peterson PROJECTS higher in the draft because he could pretty much be one of the best corners EVER with his ceiling. With Prince, you know what you're getting and there isn't a whole helluva lot more room for him to grow (his athleticism limits him).

With that said, the BETTER CORNERBACK AT THIS MOMENT, is Prince. In 5 years, I cannot say, but with any type of decent coaching my money would be on Peterson.

FWIW, Prince has faced better competition. Lol @ the argument that the SEC has better CB's and recievers. Hello Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, Michael Crabtree. Sam Bradford? Colt McCoy? Hell, Blaine Gabbert is probably a better passer than anyone in the SEC this past year except possibly Ryan Mallet who is a little trigger happy anyway.

Do you really believe this? Prince never played against Bryant, got torched by Blackmon, and Crabtree went for 90 yds and 2 td's when Nebraska played them in '08. The only time Prince faced Bradford, he threw for over 300 yds and 5(?) touchdowns in less than 3 full quarters of play. Maybe Prince didn't have anything to do with all the success these guys had against Nebraska, but I doubt he played flawlessly. To say that Prince has played against, and succeeded against, more talent than Peterson is ludicrous. The SEC is superior to the Big 12 and the Big 10 at this time, as much as it pains me to say it. Maybe Peterson struggled against stud receivers too (AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc., I didn't check the stats), but I have a hard time believing he did any worse than Prince would have.

It looks like I'm still a little PO'd at the Big XII.

Edit: Prince did play well against Texas and McCoy, but so did the rest of the team.

The SEC is a better overall conference because of the Defenses, not because of the offenses. Also, once again, I will point out 2 huge differences in play that benefit an SEC cornerback.

1. Spread offense. Harder to defend in WR's in space.

2. Penalties. The Big 12 does not let DB's mess with WR's. It was discussed in depth on the radio before the Texas vs Bama & OU vs UF MNC games. It's easier to play when you can actually touch a WR without getting instantly flagged.

The SEC is a better overall conference because of the Defenses, not because of the offenses. Also, once again, I will point out 2 huge differences in play that benefit an SEC cornerback.

2. Penalties. The Big 12 does not let DB's mess with WR's. It was discussed in depth on the radio before the Texas vs Bama & OU vs UF MNC games. It's easier to play when you can actually touch a WR without getting instantly flagged.

The SEC is better overall because of winning the past 5 championships, not individually as an offense or defense. But for the sake of argument, the average ranking for SEC teams in terms of scoring offense nationally is 41st, while the vaunted Big XII offenses average out to 50th place. Even the supposedly defense dominant Big 10 has an average ranking of 46th. So to say that from top to bottom, the Big XII has better offenses is again misleading. On to your two points from above:

1) Yes and no. Is it harder for a cornerback to cover a receiver when he has 4 or 5 other Dbacks taking up space in the same secondary, or is it harder to line up across from Julio Jones man-2-man with little to no safety help because they are stacking the box to stop the run? Stats wise, yes, it's harder to get more PBU's and int's when the team only passes it 20-25 times or less per game, but to say it's harder to cover a receiver in a spread offense depends a lot on scheme, and some on the talent that there is at receiver. Many would also argue that there is more talented receivers in the Big 12, and here again I call BS. Big 12 receivers may have better stats, but that all goes back to spread offense vs. pro style offense. You put most of the SEC WR corps in a spread offense, they will have nearly the same or probably more success than their Big 12 counterparts.

2) This is true. Maybe this is why the argument is that Prince has better feet, but Peterson is more physical and has better make up speed. Everything is relative.

The SEC is better overall because of winning the past 5 championships, not individually as an offense or defense. But for the sake of argument, the average ranking for SEC teams in terms of scoring offense nationally is 41st, while the vaunted Big XII offenses average out to 50th place. Even the supposedly defense dominant Big 10 has an average ranking of 46th. So to say that from top to bottom, the Big XII has better offenses is again misleading. On to your two points from above:

1) Yes and no. Is it harder for a cornerback to cover a receiver when he has 4 or 5 other Dbacks taking up space in the same secondary, or is it harder to line up across from Julio Jones man-2-man with little to no safety help because they are stacking the box to stop the run? Stats wise, yes, it's harder to get more PBU's and int's when the team only passes it 20-25 times or less per game, but to say it's harder to cover a receiver in a spread offense depends a lot on scheme, and some on the talent that there is at receiver. Many would also argue that there is more talented receivers in the Big 12, and here again I call BS. Big 12 receivers may have better stats, but that all goes back to spread offense vs. pro style offense. You put most of the SEC WR corps in a spread offense, they will have nearly the same or probably more success than their Big 12 counterparts.

2) This is true. Maybe this is why the argument is that Prince has better feet, but Peterson is more physical and has better make up speed. Everything is relative.

The SEC won those championships because of good defense, not having the better offense in a shootout. What year(s) are those stats for?

1. I agree on most of what you said. But it's a hell of a lot harder to cover slant, drag, in, slant, then a deep ball in an uptempo passing game (ala TT or OSU) than the occasional deep route.

2. It is relative, but it absolutely makes a difference when you know you're gonna get flagged for breathing on a WR.

Tony Pauline from CNN/SI has this take on Prince:

How fast is Prince Amukamara?

The past two combines have seen highly rated cornerbacks slip down draft boards after slower-than-expected 40 times. In 2009, Malcolm Jenkins ran in the mid 4.5s; Joe Haden was even slower last year. Haden rebounded at his Pro Day, but Jenkins never recovered.

Amukamara is the most polished and NFL-ready cornerback in April's draft. He's also looked upon as a high-character prospect who exudes class off the field. Still, questions linger about his ability to run down the field with game-breaking receivers. Scouts will closely monitor this in Indianapolis.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/02/22/combine.insider/index.html#ixzz1EizYucE2

Just one more writer's opinion.

I would think the fact that nearly half of the people answering this poll are voting against "our guy" would show we're trying to be objective. :dunno

Word.

SEC has 6 qbs in the top 25 in passer rating while the Big XII only has two. So the qbs still play better than Big XII qbs AND they face better competition.

Tony Pauline from CNN/SI has this take on Prince:

How fast is Prince Amukamara?

The past two combines have seen highly rated cornerbacks slip down draft boards after slower-than-expected 40 times. In 2009, Malcolm Jenkins ran in the mid 4.5s; Joe Haden was even slower last year. Haden rebounded at his Pro Day, but Jenkins never recovered.

Amukamara is the most polished and NFL-ready cornerback in April's draft. He's also looked upon as a high-character prospect who exudes class off the field. Still, questions linger about his ability to run down the field with game-breaking receivers. Scouts will closely monitor this in Indianapolis.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/02/22/combine.insider/index.html#ixzz1EizYucE2

Just one more writer's opinion.

That still doesn't say that he is rated higher than Peterson by anyone or why he is more polished and NFL ready! :sarcasm:LOLtartar