A different perspective to Bo's Fort Knox-style security

Landlord

I think the lock down amounts to a missed opportunity for the University of Nebraska.

The newspapers will absolutely JUMP at an opportunity to write good things about the program and that exposure is a very valuable thing both for recruiting and for drawing dollars into the program. It doesn't even have to be interesting, for god's sake. We as fans, and media (catering to us) will eagerly read/write the blandest article about mundane topics like "Rex Burkhead has spent XXX hours in the weightroom this fall."

The media is going to try to write about Nebraska football every day regardless of what Bo does or says . . . so why not have them write the stories that Bo wants them to write?

Instead, Bo treats the media, and even the FANBASE as outsiders. We should all be in this together.

You people who think that Nebraska football is not bigger than our current head coach are sadly lacking in perspective. Nebraska football exists because of and FOR . . . you and I. Without the fans the program dies. It's really as simple as that.

:yeah

Plus, if you don't want bad press from whatever Sanders or Glenn or anyone else did...avoid those problems, don't just choose to not address them.

• Fire 1

and here we all sit chatting on the Huskerboard everyday while gobbling any info. we can get our hands on. Hey pot .......I'm kettle lmao! I would like to know more but, I understand why we don't get some of it. The only thing I don't like is how Bo reacts at times to the press (even if they are jack arses) They are just asking questions that fans tell them to ask. Take the High road Bo!!!!!

I think the lock down amounts to a missed opportunity for the University of Nebraska.

The newspapers will absolutely JUMP at an opportunity to write good things about the program and that exposure is a very valuable thing both for recruiting and for drawing dollars into the program. It doesn't even have to be interesting, for god's sake. We as fans, and media (catering to us) will eagerly read/write the blandest article about mundane topics like "Rex Burkhead has spent XXX hours in the weightroom this fall."

The media is going to try to write about Nebraska football every day regardless of what Bo does or says . . . so why not have them write the stories that Bo wants them to write?

Instead, Bo treats the media, and even the FANBASE as outsiders. We should all be in this together.

You people who think that Nebraska football is not bigger than our current head coach are sadly lacking in perspective. Nebraska football exists because of and FOR . . . you and I. Without the fans the program dies. It's really as simple as that.

Plus, if you don't want bad press from whatever Sanders or Glenn or anyone else did...avoid those problems, don't just choose to not address them.

Lol... That's like saying you can stop wars by thinking happy thoughts....

I second this, both post.

I am not complaining so much about the lack of information shared, but the Bo's attitiude toward the media and fans. Of course I'll forgive him in exchange for a few big wins this next season. Seriously, its time to win some big games. TO was too nice, Bo is too grumpy and all I say is win baby!

You sure as hell can't stop them by acting like they didn't happen.

• Fire 1

You sure as hell can't stop them by acting like they didn't happen.

Agree with all four quoted posts. There isn't a perfect solution. I'd like to know more, but I understand the danger in thinking that my donation entitles me to inside information. But at the same time Carl is right - without us, Nebraska Football is UNO football. The fans are integral to the survival of this program.

I am not complaining so much about the lack of information shared, but the Bo's attitiude toward the media and fans. Of course I'll forgive him in exchange for a few big wins this next season. Seriously, its time to win some big games. TO was too nice, Bo is too grumpy and all I say is win baby!

Oddly there are only about 5 or 6 programs in this country that the fans follow the program this rabidly and "demand to know" as much. Also I find it ironic that Will Muschamp became a cult hero after he got the reputation for attacking refs during their games as did Stoops in AZ. They embrace that in their coach instead of try to create a controversy with it. You think Bo is bad. . watch Stoops drop the F bombs. I won't even venture back into the glory days and bring up Schembechler, Bryant or Devaney. All legendary coaches who regularly lost it from time to time. I can't wait to see 90% of the fans back pedal on this issue once Bo wins a National Championship.

If TO hadn't been the apparent church boy that he is along with the fact that most of the fan base has no clue about how the program really was during his time or before (mostly because of the average age of the internet fan) people wouldn't make as much issue as is being made. Today's fan really just isn't that smart and the vocal minority is even more uneducated and dumber when it comes to knowing anything about the history of Nebraska football or the sport in general. They try to educate them selves from message boards which while fun aren't really that accurate or that in depth when it comes to Husker history. People actually need to read a few books and talk with people who were there. Fans are lazy and won't do that now days.

FWIW even less information about the program made it out during TO's days. Everyone seems to forget that. Bo is right in line with TO's thinking on keeping things in house. Le

Oddly there are only about 5 or 6 programs in this country that the fans follow the program this rabidly and "demand to know" as much. Also I find it ironic that Will Muschamp became a cult hero after he got the reputation for attacking refs during their games as did Stoops in AZ. They embrace that in their coach instead of try to create a controversy with it. You think Bo is bad. . watch Stoops drop the F bombs. I won't even venture back into the glory days and bring up Schembechler, Bryant or Devaney. All legendary coaches who regularly lost it from time to time. I can't wait to see 90% of the fans back pedal on this issue once Bo wins a National Championship.

If TO hadn't been the apparent church boy that he is along with the fact that most of the fan base has no clue about how the program really was during his time or before (mostly because of the average age of the internet fan) people wouldn't make as much issue as is being made. Today's fan really just isn't that smart and the vocal minority is even more uneducated and dumber when it comes to knowing anything about the history of Nebraska football or the sport in general. They try to educate them selves from message boards which while fun aren't really that accurate or that in depth when it comes to Husker history. People actually need to read a few books and talk with people who were there. Fans are lazy and won't do that now days.

FWIW even less information about the program made it out during TO's days. Everyone seems to forget that. Bo is right in line with TO's thinking on keeping things in house. Le

Congratulations. You managed to miss every single point that I made.

People actually need to read a few books and talk with people who were there. Fans are lazy and won't do that now days.

So you're saying we should all be "journalists"? Why should I have to interview people who were there before I can form an opinion on Bo's attitude w/ the media. Technically I talk to plenty of people - some where there, some weren't...I just do it on Huskerboard. Is that not acceptable?

This isnt't exactly a revelation. Maybe because there weren't 30+ reporters covering NU football across dozens of types of media? We had radio, print, and TV. Today you have to throw in social media, message boards, blogs, etc. The info gets out there within minutes after the event. TO never had to worry about that - he had far more control over what could go out because there wasn't a reporter sitting at practice tweeting about an injury that happened 45 seconds ago. He had time to assess the situation because the quickest it was going out was in the next days paper or the 6:00 news if it was major. While TO could easily controled the flow of information to a dozen people, Bo has hundreds to deal with. Not going to happen.

Bo needs to embrace the reality that is today's media and deal with it. If he's going to get in line with what TO did he's going to be a little dated in regards to his PR abilities. Consider media relations $400,000 a year worth of his salary. That still leaves what...$2 million a year for "football" related duties. That's a tad more than TO got back in his days.

People actually need to read a few books and talk with people who were there. Fans are lazy and won't do that now days.

So you're saying we should all be "journalists"? Why should I have to interview people who were there before I can form an opinion on Bo's attitude w/ the media. Technically I talk to plenty of people - some where there, some weren't...I just do it on Huskerboard. Is that not acceptable?

This isnt't exactly a revelation. Maybe because there weren't 30+ reporters covering NU football across dozens of types of media? We had radio, print, and TV. Today you have to throw in social media, message boards, blogs, etc. The info gets out there within minutes after the event. TO never had to worry about that - he had far more control over what could go out because there wasn't a reporter sitting at practice tweeting about an injury that happened 45 seconds ago. He had time to assess the situation because the quickest it was going out was in the next days paper or the 6:00 news if it was major. While TO could easily controled the flow of information to a dozen people, Bo has hundreds to deal with. Not going to happen.

Bo needs to embrace the reality that is today's media and deal with it. If he's going to get in line with what TO did he's going to be a little dated in regards to his PR abilities. Consider media relations $400,000 a year worth of his salary. That still leaves what...$2 million a year for "football" related duties. That's a tad more than TO got back in his days.

You don't have to be a journalist to read a book on the program. There are lots of good Husker History books as well as those written by former Husker coaches. Hell there's even some pretty damn good videos from NET. But often people are too lazy to read them or watch them. Hell half the time this board has no less than 3 of the exact same topics going because someone is too lazy to read the list of titles with the same type heading. Or the thread is 4 pages long and they don't want to read through the posts so they start a new one to avoid it. My issue is that today everyone looks for quick answer or a Wikipedia type answer to figure things out. They hit the surface without knowing any real depth. Or they hear someone at the bar say "Bo killed Watson's cat and Watson got pissed and threw his gatorade at Bo and then he got pissed so Bo fired him". They put in an email it gets forwarded on and then its truth. People tend not to step back and look objectively at it to see if it even makes sense. The Internet is also less reliable because of the anonymity of it. Look how many defensive coordinators are screwing boosters kids, or players girlfriends, or other coaches wives, etc.

As far as TO's time vs now. Yes there are more reporters, social media, etc seeking demands, but the demands were still there in his day. There used to be a weekly fax that a person could subscribe to that gave out more or less booster insider information. Even then TO gave very little information out and we had to be fine with it. He would let some reporters have access to the program but there was the understanding it wouldn't be public information unless he said so. That doesn't exist today. And when a reporter tried to pull something on him and put out unfavorable information or stuff that shouldn't be there....well lets just say it was pretty hard for him to do his job for a week or two when he wasn't allowed to speak to anyone affiliated to with the team and wasn't allowed to watch practice and everyone else was getting great stories that would normally be off record.

For the record. . do I agree with the way Bo handles the media. No. . . but its not a huge F'n deal either. So stop crying about it. I think the average fan is ignorant for thinking Bo needs to be crucified for doing what he does. They've got a spoiled brat syndrome because mommy and daddy gave them everything they wanted growing up. The truth is they've lived in the Nebraska bubble too long and really need to get some perspective.

Congratulations. You managed to miss every single point that I made.

If I was replying to you I would have quoted you only.

IMHO Bo can run his program however he wants, but as fans we have the right to know about our team. Not just from a fan stand point, but from a financial standpoint.

I spend over $100 a year on my student tickets. That's nothing in comparison to season ticket holders, but for argument's sake... There are thousands of people who pay money to go to these games and give our athletic department millions of dollars to make sure our athletes (in all sports) have the best possible resources to succeed.

There are also thousands of people who donate to said athletic department (aka boosters).

They don't do it because they like to throw their hard earned money around. They do it to support a program they care about, they love, and they want to see succeed.

From that standpoint, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. Some of you may think it's a trivial pursuit, and I somewhat agree. That said, until people have reason to not care about it, they will. Telling people to care less isn't going to do you any good because that simply will not happen in this state with this program.

Over a $100 a year? Thats nothing! We don't have the "right" to know or demand information that could hurt our program. get it together.