"Big 12 doesn’t have enough quality football games"

Article Link to NewsOK

Of note:

Here is the stark truth of the new-look Big 12. The league can’t provide enough quality games to fill its quality time slots. Inventory, they call it, and the Big 12 is sorely lacking.

When the Big 12 lost Nebraska and Colorado, the networks agreed to not lower their payments to the conference. Hope the Big 12 got it in writing.

Fourteen weeks in the season, the networks need 2-3 quality games a Saturday, do the math. That’s about 35 games a season.

That’s tough duty on a league that does not schedule an abundance of marquee nonconference games and just added a bunch of Iowa State and Kansas games to the schedules of most of its flagship schools.

I count 18 marquee games for Big 12 football in 2011. That’s all the head-to-head meetings among the five heavyweights — Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri and Texas A&M — plus eight nonconference games of note. OU-Florida State. Texas-BYU. Texas-UCLA. A&M-Arkansas. Missouri-Arizona State. OSU-Arizona. Baylor-TCU. Kansas State-Miami

Then I counted 20 more games that are decent. Some K-State and Tech conference games, and assorted decent nonconference games.

That’s 38 games that don’t stink, which might be enough to satisfy the networks.

I do think Berry Trammel is being wayyyy to generous regarding the number of "quality" games. And to add salt in the wound, the Big XII now inherits the problem the B1G had until next season--being relevant post-Thanksgiving.

Hope the schools have a picture of the pinky-swear that Beebe gave them--they're going to need it when the new TV deals fail to deliver, especially if they're needing to count "T. Boones Farms Pickens presents Okie Lite" as a "heavyweight" team. :lol:

Article Link to NewsOK

Of note:

Here is the stark truth of the new-look Big 12. The league can’t provide enough quality games to fill its quality time slots. Inventory, they call it, and the Big 12 is sorely lacking.

When the Big 12 lost Nebraska and Colorado, the networks agreed to not lower their payments to the conference. Hope the Big 12 got it in writing.

Fourteen weeks in the season, the networks need 2-3 quality games a Saturday, do the math. That’s about 35 games a season.

That’s tough duty on a league that does not schedule an abundance of marquee nonconference games and just added a bunch of Iowa State and Kansas games to the schedules of most of its flagship schools.

I count 18 marquee games for Big 12 football in 2011. That’s all the head-to-head meetings among the five heavyweights — Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri and Texas A&M — plus eight nonconference games of note. OU-Florida State. Texas-BYU. Texas-UCLA. A&M-Arkansas. Missouri-Arizona State. OSU-Arizona. Baylor-TCU. Kansas State-Miami

Then I counted 20 more games that are decent. Some K-State and Tech conference games, and assorted decent nonconference games.

That’s 38 games that don’t stink, which might be enough to satisfy the networks.

I do think Berry Trammel is being wayyyy to generous regarding the number of "quality" games. And to add salt in the wound, the Big XII now inherits the problem the B1G had until next season--being relevant post-Thanksgiving.

Hope the schools have a picture of the pinky-swear that Beebe gave them--they're going to need it when the new TV deals fail to deliver, especially if they're needing to count "T. Boones Farms Pickens presents Okie Lite" as a "heavyweight" team. :lol:

forget quality games. The conference will either be won by Oklahoma(most likely) or Texas. Basically the networks are paying to see who wins the conference. As much as we think Texas has been gaining power, it's Oklahoma that has been taking advantage of it. Pretty much gave them the conference.

One thing he didn't mention was the new Longhorn network that Texas acquired. I am sure that will put a damper in which shows the tv networks will be able to show.

I am truly hoping that the Big 12 drops to either 8 or 6 teams and will have to disband in the near future.

Because there aren't as many quality teams I can easily see the teams making it right to the BCS title game. Two or three games a year that could be tough ... In a typical year whoever wins that Texas-OU game will probably play for the title.

I'm not sure that I agree with that. If there is an undefeated SEC champ and either an undefeated Big-10 or Pac-12 champ, I have a hard time seeing a Big 12 team being able to get to the BCS championship game without a conference championship to push them in. If all three are undefeated, I don't think the the Big -2 will have any chance at all. Their real opportunities will come only when there are multiple 1-loss conference champions from the 3 main conferences.

Because there aren't as many quality teams I can easily see the teams making it right to the BCS title game. Two or three games a year that could be tough ... In a typical year whoever wins that Texas-OU game will probably play for the title.

I'm not sure that I agree with that. If there is an undefeated SEC champ and either an undefeated Big-10 or Pac-12 champ, I have a hard time seeing a Big 12 team being able to get to the BCS championship game without a conference championship to push them in. If all three are undefeated, I don't think the the Big -2 will have any chance at all. Their real opportunities will come only when there are multiple 1-loss conference champions from the 3 main conferences.

That's a big 'if' though.