The Sporting News Spring Top 10

I'd say 12-2 or 11-3, depending on the outcome of the bowl game (a BCS bowl game - you never know). A mediocre offense the whole year would have cost us Oklahoma State for sure. I am not a big fan of 'have your cake and eat it too' scenarios. What we had was a high-powered offense that shut down after some injuries, and if we talk hypotheticals, I think you could say 'if we had a mediocre offense all year instead of high risk/high reward.' Didn't we finish with 63rd percentile total offense (398/gm) and 69th percentile scoring offense (30.86/gm)? That is slightly above average, so what we are talking about here is a a hypothetically above average offense that finishes with similar numbers, but in a different way.

Put our pre-Missouri numbers up with an 'average' offense kind of finish, and you end up with great numbers overall on the season. As it stood, our post-Missouri numbers were 21.5 pts/game and 318 yds/game.

But yes, I'd agree that we would have had a better season. Less explosive, you can bet there still would have been calling out of the OC for not putting up great numbers ("yeah, we are winning, only because the D is bailing our asses out, and we lost a game or two as well"), but would have been more wins for us than what the gambit resulted in.

There is no such thing. What we had was an illusion of a high-powered offense that proved itself to be less-than mediocre when we (1) had one key injury, (2) began playing more quality defenses, and (3) began playing teams who figured out how to stop us.

I am so F-ing tired of people averaging our whole year stats when there were numerous games where we played like total garbage on offense (SDSU, Texas, Iowa State, Kansas, A&M, Oklahoma, Washington 2.0). The stats are skewed by some monster performances against crappy defenses (WKU, Idaho, Washington 1.0, K State, Oklahoma State).

I'll say it again: THE FACT THAT MARTINEZ GOT INJURED IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR US FAILING TO SCORE TOUCHDOWNS IN GAMES!!!

For crying out loud, Northwestern lost it's play-making QB, Dan Persa, two weeks before their game against Wisconsin. For those who ever watched Northwestern, Persa was electric and was their only play maker on offense. Nonetheless, they still managed to score 27 on Illinois and 23 at Wisconsin.

Injuries and dropped passes definitely hurt your offensive production. BUT THEY DO NOT EXCUSE YOUR OFFENSE FROM FAILING TO FIND THE ENDZONE AT ALL!

We did not score any touchdowns in 8 quarters against A&M and Texas. I don't care if there are snipers in the stands picking off your offensive guys one by one. That is simply not acceptable and is not even remotely characteristic of a "high-powered offense that shut down after some injuries."

Good offenses find a way to get in the endzone despite dropped passes and injuries. Bad offenses fold up in those scenarios. A few lucky breaks and bad defenses aside, were bad.

• Fire 1

I'll tell you what hurts offensive production. Leading the nation in fumbles never shouts out productive offense. Leading the Big 12 in penalties never shouts out productive offense. Dropped passes and injuries are hard enough to overcome, but when you combine them penalties and handling the ball like a hot potato it's incredible our offensive stats were as good as they were. Then, there were games where the entire team just came out flat. Against Texas, everyone just played bad. The offense fumbled the ball five times. They couldn't catch a pass to save their a$$. The defense let that little girl Gilbert run all over them.

Until the O line proves it can move the defensive line on 3rd and short , we stop looking weak against the run and end the questions at the WR spots 8 maybe too high. The back field I think will be fine and 3 or 4 games the defensive back field will be able to handle anybody's WR group.

If the D doesn't skip a beat, and we're knocking the a$$ off of people, and the offense doesn't go "full retard", then yeah, we'll be a load. Not sure if it's a top 10 kind of load, I'll let you know after breakfast

Hey! Pick another phase to describe the offense. Using the 'R' word offends greatly (I work with mentally challenged kiddos :) Thanks!

There is no such thing. What we had was an illusion of a high-powered offense that proved itself to be less-than mediocre when we (1) had one key injury, (2) began playing more quality defenses, and (3) began playing teams who figured out how to stop us.

I am so F-ing tired of people averaging our whole year stats when there were numerous games where we played like total garbage on offense (SDSU, Texas, Iowa State, Kansas, A&M, Oklahoma, Washington 2.0). The stats are skewed by some monster performances against crappy defenses (WKU, Idaho, Washington 1.0, K State, Oklahoma State).

I'll say it again: THE FACT THAT MARTINEZ GOT INJURED IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR US FAILING TO SCORE TOUCHDOWNS IN GAMES!!!

For crying out loud, Northwestern lost it's play-making QB, Dan Persa, two weeks before their game against Wisconsin. For those who ever watched Northwestern, Persa was electric and was their only play maker on offense. Nonetheless, they still managed to score 27 on Illinois and 23 at Wisconsin.

Injuries and dropped passes definitely hurt your offensive production. BUT THEY DO NOT EXCUSE YOUR OFFENSE FROM FAILING TO FIND THE ENDZONE AT ALL!

We did not score any touchdowns in 8 quarters against A&M and Texas. I don't care if there are snipers in the stands picking off your offensive guys one by one. That is simply not acceptable and is not even remotely characteristic of a "high-powered offense that shut down after some injuries."

Good offenses find a way to get in the endzone despite dropped passes and injuries. Bad offenses fold up in those scenarios. A few lucky breaks and bad defenses aside, were bad.

And the truth shall set you free!!!!! +1, my good man. This is exactly the arguement that needs to help a lot of people pull the scarlet glasses off and see things in a big world perspective.

Top 20? Probably. Top 10, I need to start smoking/drinking/inhaling/mainstreaming whatever it is that they are.

Until the O line proves it can move the defensive line on 3rd and short , we stop looking weak against the run and end the questions at the WR spots 8 maybe too high. The back field I think will be fine and 3 or 4 games the defensive back field will be able to handle anybody's WR group.

Well, with Beck we might even try to run the ball on 3rd & short.

Don't worry about the Defense! Prince, Hagg, Gomes, West, Thenarse and Allen may be gone but we have a PLENTY of key contributors coming back.

DL: Crick, Baker, Cam

What else: T Moore, Josh Williams, Jason Ankrah, Chase Rome, Eric Martin

LB: Lavonte, Compton, Fisher

What else: Whaley, Santos, Martin, May

DB: Dennard, Osborne, PJ Smith, and Cassidy

What else: Harvey Jackson, Charles Jackson, Ciante Evans, Andrew Green, Corey Cooper, Daimion Stafford, Lance Thorell, Dijon Washington, Antonio Bell

Name a position of concern on the defense! If Coach Beck can get the offense on track, it will be a good season.

I can't believe anyone would put us in the top 10 next year. Our schedule is very tough. We lose our #1 RB, our #1 WR, 3 from the oline, and some major talent in the defensive backfield.

I'd put us at preseason 18 or 19.

We got the talent to replace everyone I mentioned above but until they prove it on the field I'm not automatically putting us in the top ten.

Outstanding post. I agree on every point you made.

Don't worry about the Defense! Prince, Hagg, Gomes, West, Thenarse and Allen may be gone but we have a PLENTY of key contributors coming back.

DL: Crick, Baker, Cam

What else: T Moore, Josh Williams, Jason Ankrah, Chase Rome, Eric Martin

LB: Lavonte, Compton, Fisher

What else: Whaley, Santos, Martin, May

DB: Dennard, Osborne, PJ Smith, and Cassidy

What else: Harvey Jackson, Charles Jackson, Ciante Evans, Andrew Green, Corey Cooper, Daimion Stafford, Lance Thorell, Dijon Washington, Antonio Bell

Name a position of concern on the defense! If Coach Beck can get the offense on track, it will be a good season.

Another great post. Here too, I agree with every point. SkerChicago was also correct... he pointed out OL, RB, and WR holes to fill --- and those question marks make a Top 10 unlikely (his view of ca. around #20 seems more reasonable). Skerchicago also pointed out question marks re: the defensive backfield --- rightly so, there are holes to fill... and your post correctly asserts that those holes will likely be filled rather nicely. It is precisely because the D will again be so good that we can predict about a #20 (rather than lower) ranking (if our D were not so good, were it not a top 5 caliber defense... I'd guess we would be unranked at seasons end... fortunately, like you, I think we will again have a tough D... so finishing ranked is a reasonable expectation). Yet, because of the O questions, we really can't rationally predict much higher than #20 or so.

I think the mags like to sell their magazines and so... putting programs like NU high up will encourage the many NU fans and enrage the NU haters... and will intrigue those who are neutral who think NU is unworthy... either way, they sell their magazines (or advertising). That is, those rankings are not simply designed to be accurate... they are designed to facilitate sales. So... do not take much stock in such polls.

Well, we lost 3 of the 4 most important DBs on the team. That says to me we are going to have some growing pains. Returning a high quality front 7 and Dennard is great but you can't expect Ciante/A. Green to fill Hagg/Gomes/Prince's spots without a grace period. You are 100% right that we bring in some great recruits. Guess what though? None of those recruits have ever played a college football game.

We won't be doing the Peso thing anytime soon. You're gonna see a more traditional 4-3 instead of the 4-1-6 we were running most of the year, so the loss of those DB's isn't as bad.

Well, we lost 3 of the 4 most important DBs on the team. That says to me we are going to have some growing pains. Returning a high quality front 7 and Dennard is great but you can't expect Ciante/A. Green to fill Hagg/Gomes/Prince's spots without a grace period. You are 100% right that we bring in some great recruits. Guess what though? None of those recruits have ever played a college football game.

We won't be doing the Peso thing anytime soon. You're gonna see a more traditional 4-3 instead of the 4-1-6 we were running most of the year, so the loss of those DB's isn't as bad.

It's true we will see a more traditional 4-3 but spread offenses still exist in the B1G. And that doesn't mean there won't be growing pains (or a grace period dedhoarse )with the kids filling Prince, Gomes, and Hagg's spots. No doubt the talent to replace those guys is already on the roster and by the end of the year they will be playing at a very high level. That fact, however, doesn't mean from day 1 of the 2011 those kids will be perfect.

This is a preseason poll questions and I believe you can't hand this kids a top ten position without having them prove it on the field first. I'm sticking with my 18 spot and I'll watch them climb up the rankings.

It's true we will see a more traditional 4-3 but spread offenses still exist in the B1G. And that doesn't mean there won't be growing pains (or a grace period dedhoarse )with the kids filling Prince, Gomes, and Hagg's spots. No doubt the talent to replace those guys is already on the roster and by the end of the year they will be playing at a very high level. That fact, however, doesn't mean from day 1 of the 2011 those kids will be perfect.

This is a preseason poll questions and I believe you can't hand this kids a top ten position without having them prove it on the field first. I'm sticking with my 18 spot and I'll watch them climb up the rankings.

Don't disagree, but I just wanted to point out that we'll have 3 starting LB's with at least a year of starting experience. Add in 2 returning safties that started half the season, and a shutdown corner in Dennard, and things aren't that bleak. As for our ranking, IMO and top #20 is fine by me. When you see some of the teams that are in these pre-season rankings, it's apparent how much of a crap shoot it is.